PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats at Chargers: pre-game opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A ton of stats, tidbits and trivia in this Pats-Chargers preview.

Nuggetpalooza’s Patriots-Chargers preview! by Gary Marbry of WEEI

Most of this becomes fairly meaningless given the teams that the Pats and Chargers have played. For example, having the yards after catch drop off a tad against Baltimore could actually be viewed as an achievement, particularly given how physical that game was.

Patriots-Chargers Preview - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

New England is in the midst of a brutal six-week stretch that includes games against Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Indianapolis, but it may catch a break Sunday if Rivers' top two targets can't play. Leading receiver Malcom Floyd is almost certainly out due to a hamstring injury he suffered at St. Louis, while star tight end Antonio Gates is questionable after hurting his ankle against the Rams.

That's good news for a Patriots pass defense that's 29th in the league, allowing 273.4 yards per game.

While San Diego's losses have all come on the road after early deficits, it jumped on Jacksonville and Arizona early in winning its two home games by a combined 56 points.

With the lead, the Chargers were able to focus on running the ball. San Diego has averaged 165.5 rushing yards at home, as opposed to 92.0 yards on the road.

It might be wise to get Ryan Mathews some more touches Sunday. The rookie is averaging 5.1 yards per carry, but has only 35 carries since getting 20 in his NFL debut.

The Patriots, meanwhile, may have found an unlikely answer at running back in Danny Woodhead. A waiver pickup from the Jets in mid-September, the undrafted Division II product chipped in 115 all-purpose yards and picked up six first downs against Baltimore.

Tony Massarotti of the Boston Globe throws a wet blanket on the high expectations of Pats fans looking forward to Sunday's game.

Careful, Pats fans, Chargers are a trap - The Tony Massarotti Sports Blog - The Boston Globe

This is the NFL we’re talking about, so keep your exuberance in check. At the start of this season, a road game at San Diego looked like a daunting task for the Patriots. Now, in the wake of the last few weeks, there are undoubtedly those of who see this game as a win.

Shame, shame, shame on you.

If Bill Belichick is a smart man – and he is – here is what he has been telling his team this week as the Pats prepare for a meeting with the Chargers: You ain’t done nothin’ yet. In most anything, what defines the very good from the pretty good is consistency, and the Patriots simply have not established that yet. Not these Pats, anyway. Not a mere five games into a season in which the Pats took more questions than they did into their previous five or six years combined.

So the Chargers are off to a poor start. Great. That should make you more concerned, not less.

Let’s start with the most obvious: Philip Rivers is a good quarterback and the Patriots still have issues with the pass. There is the chance, we suppose, that we will someday look upon Devin McCourty and Kyle Arrington (or Darius Butler, or whomever) as we did Mike Haynes and Raymond Clayborn, but we’re not there yet. We’re not even remotely close. The Pats' defense still ranks at the bottom of the league on third down, so its success in that area in the Baltimore game must be regarded as an aberration.

At least until we get more evidence to the contrary.

Trickle-down effect of losing Page - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Yet the loss of Page cuts deeper on special teams. Page was a "Big 4" player last week, meaning that he was on the kickoff return, kickoff coverage, punt return and punt coverage units.

"When you lose a player on special teams, you really lose a starter on four teams," Bill Belichick said Friday morning. "Sometimes you have one person who can replace that player, but a lot of times you have a combination of players where you have to move players around. That's the challenge on special teams, especially when it happens during the game."

If the Patriots go the first route, looking for a one-person replacement, practice squad safety Sergio Brown could fit the bill. Brown was one of the top special teams players entering the league this year. If he's promoted, a roster move would have to be made to create room for him.

You should charge money for analysis like this.

OK wise guys. Let's start with this supposed huge ST advantage. That game in Miami was a once in a season game. If you think that it will happen again and you are counting on it to win the game I think you will be disappointed. No way the Chragers ST will play as bad as they have been since they are AT home. No way the Pats ST play as well since Tate is running more routes and won't have the fresh legs to give him that edge. Also apparently one of our KEY ST players Page is out. As we all know from the SB vs. Green Bay ONE player can make a HUGE difference.

The Chargers move the ball at will. If you have been watching Rivers has been amazing. His only fault might be arrogance which causes him to hang onto the ball longer than he should. The Pats do not have the pass rush or the secondary to slow down this offense. Who the f will cover Gates?? Pats have been ATROCIOUS on 3rd & long. Not liking this match up at all.

I think the Chargers will be more focused on Sunday since they are coming off an embarrassing loss. They are playing at home against a good opponent. They will not suffer from the trap of playing down to the competition like they have all season.

Speaking of trap games. This is one for the Pats. Big OT win at home where they played almost an ENTIRE extra quarter. LONG flight to SD. 3-hour time difference. Gonna have a letdown.

Face it folks chalk this one up as a L. Spend your Sunday with the kids carving pumpkins or something like that. I'll be at hunting camp.

Have fun.

OK wise guys. Let's start with this supposed huge ST advantage. That game in Miami was a once in a season game. If you think that it will happen again and you are counting on it to win the game I think you will be disappointed. No way the Chragers ST will play as bad as they have been since they are AT home. No way the Pats ST play as well since Tate is running more routes and won't have the fresh legs to give him that edge. Also apparently one of our KEY ST players Page is out. As we all know from the SB vs. Green Bay ONE player can make a HUGE difference.

The Chargers move the ball at will. If you have been watching Rivers has been amazing. His only fault might be arrogance which causes him to hang onto the ball longer than he should. The Pats do not have the pass rush or the secondary to slow down this offense. Who the f will cover Gates?? Pats have been ATROCIOUS on 3rd & long. Not liking this match up at all.

I think the Chargers will be more focused on Sunday since they are coming off an embarrassing loss. They are playing at home against a good opponent. They will not suffer from the trap of playing down to the competition like they have all season.

Speaking of trap games. This is one for the Pats. Big OT win at home where they played almost an ENTIRE extra quarter. LONG flight to SD. 3-hour time difference. Gonna have a letdown.

Face it folks chalk this one up as a L. Spend your Sunday with the kids carving pumpkins or something like that. I'll be at hunting camp.

Have fun.

denverpatsfan, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Last edited:

Have fun.

On second thought, maybe not.

Scratch my origional post.

Tony Massarotti of the Boston Globe throws a wet blanket on the high expectations of Pats fans looking forward to Sunday's game.

Careful, Pats fans, Chargers are a trap - The Tony Massarotti Sports Blog - The Boston Globe

Tony Mazz on football = nails on a chalkboard.

But I agree with the larger point that we can't take this game lightly. I don't think fans are. We know its an explosive offense and defense that we're facing - and a team that likely would be considered among the top 6 of the AFC if it didn't have a tremendously awful special teams performance thus far. Sure, the injuries and Jackson's absence are a real issue - but I wouldn't take this game lightly.

Besides, SD plays Brady as well as anybody, particularly in SD.

Last edited:
Link to a column on a Charger fan site, with some quotes from one of the contributors to that site.

Game Preview: Patriots at Chargers, Chargers on Offense - Bolts From The Blue

In typical Patriots style, the boys from New England seems terrible at stopping the run (much worse than the Rams) and yet have only given up 1 TD run and 2 runs for more than 20 yards. That's not a coincidence. The Chargers will most likely be able to move the ball against the Patriots on the ground, but forcing their way into the end zone or making big plays will be difficult against this team.
This is going to sound like I'm an ultra-fan-boy, but take away Marcus McNeill's rust, Jeromey Clary (who will soon be replaced by Brandyn Dombrowski) and Philip Rivers having to force passes at the end of games and this passing attack is flawless. The 9.1 yards per attempt comes with good news and bad. The good news is that it's ridiculously high and the team did it without Vincent Jackson. The bad news is that it means the Chargers are throwing deep a lot, which wasn't really how they wanted this offense to run this season.

Still, it's a mind-blowing stat. The only QBs to pull off a 9.1 yard per attempt average or higher for an entire season in the last two decades are Peyton Manning (2004), Kurt Warner (2000) and...somehow.... Chris Chandler (1998). It would not surprise me to see Philip Rivers added to that group soon.
The TDs given up through the air certainly helps to explain the lack of TDs on the ground, at least. Again, it's just like the Patriots to have one of the worst passing defenses in the league and still manage to rank highly for turnovers and in stopping big plays. This is the recipe for how the New England Patriots will beat you: They will let you do whatever you want to do except make big plays, then they will take advantage of any mistakes you make.

It looks as though Antonio Gates will play on Sunday, as will Buster Davis. Kevin Acee seems to think the team will activate Seyi Ajirotutu as well. This game is lining up to be an awful lot like the 2007 AFC Championship Game, with the Chargers being the more talented team but coming into the game beaten up and undisciplined. The big difference this time is that El Capitan is not playing on two bad knees, as the Bolts will need a great game from him to win. This is the type of game that legends are born from.

Have fun.

denverpatsfan, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I was going to respond, but I can't beat this response.
+1 JB!

I wonder if Deion Branch will be able to offer some good insight as he has already played them this season.

From the Hart: West Coast Chargers Friday Six-Pack by Andy Hart of Patriots Football Weekly

Here is one of Hart's six keys to the game:

The defensive backfield is where I think the game will be won or lost for the Patriots. Philip Rivers is putting up huge numbers (2,008 yards in six games), even while losing more than anyone expected against a pretty soft schedule. He likes to get the ball down the field and will challenge a suspect secondary, which is clearly what the Patriots still field at this point. Sure it helps that Vincent Jackson is still a week away from reporting and Malcom Floyd is injured, but I still think Rivers will try to get the ball deep to someone, maybe Patrick Crayton. The onus will be on Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington and the rest to make some plays. San Diego has seven guys with a catch of 28 yards or longer this year, four with a reception 43 yards or longer. They’re going to go deep.

The Chargers have struggled to protect the passer, but the Patriots still don’t get much passer on the passer and San Diego left tackle Marcus McNeill has a game under his belt since returning from his RFA contract dispute. Rivers is a very good quarterback who’ll challenge the secondary like Joe Flacco and Chad Henne didn’t/can’t. Are they ready? We’ll find out and the answer will go a long way toward deciding this game.

It will also be interesting to see how Brandon Meriweather reacts to his fine and last week’s head-hunting controversy. James Sanders looks like he’ll be back, but with Jarrad Page banged up Meriweather will certainly be playing. Can he play a normal game? Will he look timid or slow his reactions? Again, we’ll see.

Have fun.

deer_20crossing.jpg

I'm still trying to work out who has smashed us in the running game.

Have fun.

I'm sorry, anyone who thinks that a long flight will effect them is crazy...especially since they are already in SD as I type this. The fact that you would rather shoot some deer than watch the Pats says a lot about you as a fan.

I feel as though I should resent whatever it is you're insinuating by posting this image, lol.

They sell Molson in Denver, don't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back