PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Wilfork close to a deal for an extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we don't believe Vince has no leverage in this situation he may in fact have a better offer through some tampering efforts done by his agent who may know of teams willing to offer him more if the team cuts him.

Well, Kraft just publicly expressed his hope that Wilfork is back with the Pats, so there's that. I'd rather not see an extension at this point until he proves in practice that he can return back to 3/4's of what he once was. If he comes back to TC looking good, I would welcome it. But, at this point, I'm not holding my breath. :(

Curran said on CSNNE last night that the team did not ask Wilfork to “restructure” they asked him to take a straight pay cut.

In reality Wilfork (if he actually threw a temper tantrum) is being stupid, he signed a contract knowing full well that the $7.5M was not guaranteed, the Patriots do not owe him that money it was essentially an option to retain his services at that rate. They are unwilling to retain him at that rate, but they are offering him the opportunity to make money for the 2014 season. He needs to recolonize that he put the pen on a piece of paper that clearly stated his 2014 base salary was not guaranteed.

In addition, Wilfork needs to do some self-reflection, and realize that he is not worth $8M per season. If he cannot come to that realization he is delusional, the fact of the matter is that Wilfork is asking the Patriots to do what NO other team in the NFL would do.

While we don't believe Vince has no leverage in this situation he may in fact have a better offer through some tampering efforts done by his agent who may know of teams willing to offer him more if the team cuts him.

Raji received a 1-year $4M contract from Green Bay; I do not see Wilfork even getting that right now. First issue is defensive tackle is one of the deepest positions in a historically deep draft; a player like Justin Ellis is projected to go in the fifth round. Second issue is his position is not as valuable in this NFL as when he signed this contract.

The NFL's games with "guaranteed" money cause a lot of hard feelings, that's for sure.

I wish they'd go more to the baseball model (while keeping the hard cap).

The NFL's games with "guaranteed" money cause a lot of hard feelings, that's for sure.

Too much risk for injury, look at the Hernandez situation, nobody saw that coming and still the team is stuck with a $7.5M cap hit in 2014. Baseball needs a salary cap, it is ridiculous what those players make, half of them are out of shape or jacked up on juice.

The owners would be damn fools to guarantee contracts. If a player got seriously hurt the first game of a four year contract, they would be stuck for
all of the money.

Marvin Miller made monkeys out of the baseball owners. His efforts resulted
in a league of haves and have-nots.

Curran said on CSNNE last night that the team did not ask Wilfork to “restructure” they asked him to take a straight pay cut.

In reality Wilfork (if he actually threw a temper tantrum) is being stupid, he signed a contract knowing full well that the $7.5M was not guaranteed, the Patriots do not owe him that money it was essentially an option to retain his services at that rate. They are unwilling to retain him at that rate, but they are offering him the opportunity to make money for the 2014 season. He needs to recolonize that he put the pen on a piece of paper that clearly stated his 2014 base salary was not guaranteed.

In addition, Wilfork needs to do some self-reflection, and realize that he is not worth $8M per season. If he cannot come to that realization he is delusional, the fact of the matter is that Wilfork is asking the Patriots to do what NO other team in the NFL would do.

This is the last year of his contract, so restructuring by itself was never an option anyway. It was either extend/restructure or demand a pay cut. Sounds like a sensationalized statement by Curran, which is pretty much par for the course.

All that that statement really indicates is that the Patriots aren't willing to guarantee any new money to Wilfork (presumably that's what it would take to get an extension done), which is pretty much a no-brainer from the team's perspective.

The owners would be damn fools to guarantee contracts. If a player got seriously hurt the first game of a four year contract, they would be stuck for
all of the money.

Marvin Miller made monkeys out of the baseball owners. His efforts resulted
in a league of haves and have-nots.

If NFL contracts were guaranteed, the dollar figures would change dramatically overnight. At the end of the day, the amount that the league spends on players would remain the same. The only difference is that a ton of those dollars would be going to players who were no longer contributing due to injury and/or ineffectiveness.

If football contracts were guaranteed you'd never see contracts longer than a couple years. If you did then overall contracts would be lower. Teams would be spending money on what are now waived players. So you can't really have it both ways.

Just wish they'd cut him. Don't see any reason not to. Let him test the waters. They owe him that.

This is the last year of his contract, so restructuring by itself was never an option anyway. It was either extend/restructure or demand a pay cut. Sounds like a sensationalized statement by Curran, which is pretty much par for the course.

All that that statement really indicates is that the Patriots aren't willing to guarantee any new money to Wilfork (presumably that's what it would take to get an extension done), which is pretty much a no-brainer from the team's perspective.

I agree, I think that is the general misconception amongst posters/fans, they believe that Wilfork was owed something and the Patriots are now taking it away. That is not the case, the Patriots paid Wilfork every sent they guaranteed him and then some. They do not want to pay him $7.5M for 2014, and they never guaranteed they would, no other team is going to either, so Wilfork should not expect a team that has paid him $40M+ over the past decade to do for him what no other team would.

If football contracts were guaranteed you'd never see contracts longer than a couple years. If you did then overall contracts would be lower. Teams would be spending money on what are now waived players. So you can't really have it both ways.

Just wish they'd cut him. Don't see any reason not to. Let him test the waters. They owe him that.

I know the NFL is a business but they really cannot just cut him, they have to try to make this work. This team needs some good press, between the Hernandez situations, Welker, Talib, and Spikes all departing with some unnecessary comments on the way out the door. The last thing they need is to put Wilfork on the street and have him say something to the press such as he should have never been playing when he ruptured his Achilles.

Doesn't it have to be a paycut? You can't really reconstructure one year left on a contract unless I'm confused about the definition. At best you add extra years and stretch out that money which is still a paycut.

Love how Krafty cited players who swallowed their pride, took less money and retired at Patriots.

A shrewd, psychological move...

Wilfork already told the team to go pound sand, and he took his ball and went home. Now, if he doesn't return to the team, will we see Kraft break out the "It's the agent's fault" nonsense again?

Wilfork already told the team to go pound sand, and he took his ball and went home. Now, if he doesn't return to the team, will we see Kraft break out the "It's the agent's fault" nonsense again?
Except for sometimes, it IS the agent's fault. ;)

Do you get this irate with other teams when they unceremoniously dump long-time players, even faces of the franchise (Manning, Champ Bailey, etc.)?

Except for sometimes, it IS the agent's fault. ;)

This isn't Denver and Dumervil...

Do you get this irate with other teams when they unceremoniously dump long-time players, even faces of the franchise (Manning, Champ Bailey, etc.)?

I'm not irate, champ. I'm just noting the use of the standard playbook.

Just cut the fat bastid. Hes always been a stick in the mud in negotiations dating back to his last contract. Hes all about the dough (not cookie) Seriously, he was a good player for us he was paid as a good player for us and if this how he wants to go, good riddens have fun finishing your career like Seymour.

There are still plenty of fat men available who can do what Wilfork can at this stage of his career for a hell of a lot cheaper. I really dont mean to be an ass because i honestly have really enjoyed watching him as a player for this organization but at this point he wants to play hard ball show him the streets. No player is bigger than the team. The only guy who could play this game and deservedly so would be TB12

Well, I know he did that with Welker, but hten again, i agree with that assessment. That negotiation never had a chance because of ridiculous expectations set early on (and bad feelings between Welker and BB, apparently).

Seems kind of standard in the NFL. Teams give large long-term contract...will not pay out last year...players get mad...teams in damage control because they know it's a business, but some fans won't accept that...

Wasn't taking a shot ya there, champ, just asking.

By which I assume you are referring to YOUR standard playbook.

Patronize your fellow posters and miss no opportunity to criticize the Patriots.

Just cut the fat bastid. Hes always been a stick in the mud in negotiations dating back to his last contract. Hes all about the dough (not cookie) Seriously, he was a good player for us he was paid as a good player for us and if this how he wants to go, good riddens have fun finishing your career like Seymour.

There are still plenty of fat men available who can do what Wilfork can at this stage of his career for a hell of a lot cheaper. I really dont mean to be an ass because i honestly have really enjoyed watching him as a player for this organization but at this point he wants to play hard ball show him the streets. No player is bigger than the team. The only guy who could play this game and deservedly so would be TB12

It's "bastard"... "he's"... "riddance"... replace "cheaper" with "less money". Cheap refers to the quality of something. Inexpensive refers to price/cost(s).

That's not counting the missing punctuation marks & capitals. :rolleyes:

Folks here talk a lot of smack, and that's fine. Still and all, we try to stay within the bounds of reasonable grammar. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents