PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Wilfork close to a deal for an extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouch.

I hope they can get something done. If they can't I hope something breaks soon. The guy to target and get ASAP seems to me to be Pat Sims. Space-eater, won't be expensive, mired in Oakland with a high upside (had a couple of games where he looked all-world). Nestled between Jones and Kelly, he could do very well.

I'd hate to rely on Siliga/Chris Jones/rookie as the starting DT. I mean, maybe they get Jernigan (no way on Donald) or Nix, but Hageman is more likely and he's raw and up-and-down (I want him, but I don't want them to have to rely on him as a starter right away).

It's worth pointing out that (A) that happened the day he (apparently) asked for his release, and (B) we really haven't heard anything since.

I'm not saying everything is sunshine and roses, but I'd be a lot more alarmed if that had happened yesterday.

It's worth pointing out that (A) that happened the day he (apparently) asked for his release, and (B) we really haven't heard anything since.

I'm not saying everything is sunshine and roses, but I'd be a lot more alarmed if that had happened yesterday.

...hey, don't deny me my exercise...

PVqDnYW.jpg

Karen Guregian is a beat writer she reports rumors. Unless they have a picture of the nameplate missing, I am not buying it. Guregian is a WEEI pawn, she got sucked into the spygate drama and has written on several occasions that Brady is not as focused since his supermodel wife and kids came around.

I have found Guregian to be one of the more careful, professional and least sensationalist reporters in Foxboro. I have not seen instances of which you wrote, but perhaps I missed those.

I love me some wilfork, definitely a classy dude. But my first reaction: is he really that far removed from seeing that he won't see $ like that? I mean I guess these guys (pro athletes) do a lot of speaking through their contracts, but it's just unrealistic...

Good point.

My son just came home from school, breathlessly telling me that Vince cleaned out his locker today "angrily". Then I read some of the early posts from today....then I read your posts and went to the actual article.

"Following the initial discussion between the Patriots and Vince Wilfork over altering his contract, the nose tackle not only asked for his release, but also made a stop in the locker room to grab his belongings before walking out of Gillette Stadium.

According to two sources, an angry Wilfork ripped his name plate off his locker stall, and cleaned out his locker. That's how Big Vince felt about the proceedings. Naturally, time and distance can change perspective, but Wilfork seemed convinced he was done in New England."

Yup - - on actually reading the article, it did not take place today and that last sentence is the key.

Vince is one of my all-time favorite Patriots, but Belichick has to do what is best for the team.

Vince really should know that by now and take less offense. Hopefully he's cooled off since his initial reaction.

The fact is that it's been 10 days to 2 weeks since the report that Vince asked for his release. The Patriots have not done so and Vince has been silent since then.

I don't know what that means, but it's worth pondering.

I havent seen a single report of another team trying to trade for Wilfork given his current compensation.

There's a reason for that...he isn't worth it. He isn't worth it this year or restructed over a few years.

If he wants to storm out because he doesn't want to deal with reality that's his choice.

The team with do just fine without him. He was bad last year (not a HOF). He's coming off a major injury and he'll be 33 years old.

Time to part ways and offer him a red jacket in a few years when he cools down.

Silence, IMHO, is a good sign for Vince staying. Remember Ty Law?

The fact is that it's been 10 days to 2 weeks since the report that Vince asked for his release. The Patriots have not done so and Vince has been silent since then.

I don't know what that means, but it's worth pondering.

Well, Kraft just publicly expressed his hope that Wilfork is back with the Pats, so there's that. I'd rather not see an extension at this point until he proves in practice that he can return back to 3/4's of what he once was. If he comes back to TC looking good, I would welcome it. But, at this point, I'm not holding my breath. :(

Well, Kraft just publicly expressed his hope that Wilfork is back with the Pats, so there's that. (

Bob Kraft saying he wants the player here is akin to a coach getting a vote of confidence from an owner. Adios Vince.

Silence, IMHO, is a good sign for Vince staying. Remember Ty Law?

He's been out of the country, on vacation. There was no other option.

The real test will come in the next couple/few weeks. We'll know then if he's "silent" or not.

I hope Vince took some time to think about his situation while on vacation. He is not in a position of strength and is only a few years away from retirement. I don't think the pats would have paid him 11 million even if he wasn't hurt. I hope he seriously considers renogiating his contract and stays with the pats.

Love how Krafty cited players who swallowed their pride, took less money and retired at Patriots.

A shrewd, psychological move...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick