PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats almost lost out on Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSUPatsFan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Just heard on Cold Pizza that on draft day, the Broncos and the Lions had a deal worked out to send Joey Harrington to the Broncos. However, the Broncos and Harrington couldn't come to terms on a contract. If the deal had gone through, the Broncos would not have moved up to pick Cutler. Instead, they would have snatched Maroney at 15. This makes me feel even better about the Maroney back considering the Broncos were high on him and their history with finding good running backs.

If the Broncos had snatched Maroney, I wonder what the Pats would have done. Would they have gotten Chad Jackson at 21 instead? Of course, everything else would have fallen differently too. Maybe Bobby Carpenter is still available.

The Broncos really don't have a history of drafting good RBs. Clinton Portis was the exception. The rest of them were a product of that ridiculous Denver O-line.

Last edited by a moderator:
huskeralk said:
The Broncos really don't have a history of drafting good RBs. Clinton Portis was the exception. The rest of them were a product of that ridiculous Denver O-line.

That theory will be put to the test in 2006. Here's my take on the famed Denver System...
  • Terrell Davis would have been a star RB on any team. He was a great sleeper pick in the 6th round of the 1995 draft.
  • Olandis Gary was a one-year wonder (1999). His career was cut short by knee injuries.
  • Mike Anderson had his first 1,000-yard season since 2000. He's now with the Ravens.
  • Tatum Bell has durability issues.
  • Unlike Gary and Anderson, Ron Dayne didn't begin his career with the Broncos. He was a multi-year bust for the Giants ("No-Gain Dayne") and is the perfect lab specimen for testing the Denver System Theory.
  • Rueben Droughns, a refugee from the hapless Lions, rushed for over 1,200 yards for the Broncos in 2004. He also rushed for over 1,200 yards for the lowly Browns in 2005.

That they were considering Maroney speaks volumes. IMO, Shanny fell in love with Cutler and had to have him when he was still on the board at #11. That and Shanny knew he wasn't winning a SBC with Plummer. Personally, I think the Broncos slit their own collective throat for 2006 with this draft. Moreover, they still haven't replaced Trevor Pryce at DE.

Brady-To-Branch said:
That they were considering Maroney speaks volumes
I agree - talk about his system, OL, RB, whatever, the fact is that Shanahan knows his sh!t. Is he perfect ? Of course not. But if he and Belichick really like a guy then there is something serious there to like because those two are the most knowledgeable HC in the NFL IMO.

BelichickFan said:
I agree - talk about his system, OL, RB, whatever, the fact is that Shanahan knows his sh!t. Is he perfect ? Of course not. But if he and Belichick really like a guy then there is something serious there to like because those two are the most knowledgeable HC in the NFL IMO.

Belichick hasn't exactly had a great track record as far as drafting RBs though. That being said, I do think Maroney is going to be a great back but that's only because I think so not because Tranny and Belichick like him.

huskeralk said:
Belichick hasn't exactly had a great track record as far as drafting RBs though.
He's never tried. The earliest he's taken one with the Patriots was Cobbs in the 4th round. Sure he took Vardell in the first in Cleveland but he was a FB back at a time when FB actually went in the first round sometimes. This is like saying Belichick did poorly with TE based on the mid to late round TE he drafted. But then he darfted real talents like Watson and Graham and things look better now.

BelichickFan said:
He's never tried. The earliest he's taken one with the Patriots was Cobbs in the 4th round. Sure he took Vardell in the first in Cleveland but he was a FB back at a time when FB actually went in the first round sometimes. This is like saying Belichick did poorly with TE based on the mid to late round TE he drafted. But then he darfted real talents like Watson and Graham and things look better now.

So again if anything, there should be no real reason to assume that Belichick is capable of drafting a good RB in the first round until Maroney lights it up which I think he will.

huskeralk said:
So again if anything, there should be no real reason to assume that Belichick is capable of drafting a good RB in the first round until Maroney lights it up
That's kind of backwards thinking but I can't argue against the negative so I guess we'll both just be happy and not surprised when Maroney kicks butt :)

BelichickFan said:
He's never tried. The earliest he's taken one with the Patriots was Cobbs in the 4th round.

Not to be wise, but JR Redmond, 3rd round, 2000.

To clarify, if Shanny was strongly considering Maroney, it means he's not sold on his current group of backs. Don't be surprised of Shanny tries to pull a trade for a RB this summer.

Brady-To-Branch said:
Not to be wise, but JR Redmond, 3rd round, 2000.
True, same point though.

huskeralk said:

The fact that it seems Denver can plug in anybody at RB and get a 1,000+ yard season, yet were still close to taking a RB in round 1 says that Maroney is really special. They don't need to use high draft picks on RB because they can get excellent output out of unheralded nobodies. They must think Maroney is that good.

huskeralk said:
Belichick hasn't exactly had a great track record as far as drafting RBs though. That being said, I do think Maroney is going to be a great back but that's only because I think so not because Tranny and Belichick like him.
But he does have a superb record of drafting solid starters and contributors in the 1st round. My bet is on him doing it again in the 1st round and that Maroney will be a solid starter within a year.

The other backs that have been drafted have been in lower rounds - always a long-odds situation. But he didn't do all that bad with Pass in the 7th round in 2000.

I did hear/read this from a couple of places just before the draft.

The Patriots were trying to trade up to 17 to get Carpenter. They knew that Dallas was going to take him at 18. Minn wanted Greenway more than what he Patriots were offering to move up.

As BB said, Maroney was the best player available at the time tha we picked. He said that he did have some others rated higher but they had been drafted.

BelichickFan said:

Earliest: Redmond in the 3rd (which is not that high). Other than that, I agree wholeheartedly with you, especially with the TE example. BB hasn't missed on a first rounder since he came to the Pats. No reason to think he'll start missing now.

huskeralk said:
So again if anything, there should be no real reason to assume that Belichick is capable of drafting a good RB in the first round until Maroney lights it up which I think he will.

Wait... maybe I'm reading wrong... there should be no real reason to assume BB is CAPABLE of drafting a good first rounder?

Gon_Trevil said:
Wait... maybe I'm reading wrong... there should be no real reason to assume BB is CAPABLE of drafting a good first rounder?

running back.

huskeralk said:

The Broncos really don't have a history of drafting good RBs. Clinton Portis was the exception. The rest of them were a product of that ridiculous chop-blocking Denver O-line.

Last edited:
groundgame said:
The Broncos really don't have a history of drafting good RBs. Clinton Portis was the exception. The rest of them were a product of that ridiculous chop-blocking Denver O-line.

Whatever works I suppose.

PATSNUTme said:
I did hear/read this from a couple of places just before the draft.

The Patriots were trying to trade up to 17 to get Carpenter. They knew that Dallas was going to take him at 18. Minn wanted Greenway more than what he Patriots were offering to move up.

As BB said, Maroney was the best player available at the time tha we picked. He said that he did have some others rated higher but they had been drafted.
What places? Not questioning you yourself but i might have a few questions about the site. Belichick probably liked Carpenter a ton. But he also probably liked guys like Hill and Huff and etc. so when Belichick says there were guys higher on his board but were already drafted he could be involving some of those players. Just like i'm sure there were some guys that went before 21 that he didnt even have in the frist round or halfway through the second.

SeanBruschi54 said:
What places? Not questioning you yourself but i might have a few questions about the site. Belichick probably liked Carpenter a ton. But he also probably liked guys like Hill and Huff and etc. so when Belichick says there were guys higher on his board but were already drafted he could be involving some of those players. Just like i'm sure there were some guys that went before 21 that he didnt even have in the frist round or halfway through the second.

You are questioning me but that's OK. Pro Football Weekly on their premium site the day before the draft. This was echoed on ESPN jsut before the draft and I believe Tom Curran mentioned it on NEST that friday night.

I don't think that hey had any interest in Hill and Huff was too far up the board for them to make a move.

groundgame said:

Terrell Davis is also an exeception. (6th R, 1995, Shanny's first season with Denver).

The brief success of Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson has given the Broncos the reputation of a Midas touch with RBs. Unless Tatum Bell can carry a full work load, Ron Dayne, Cedric Cobbs, etc. will have to prove that the Midas rep is deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back