PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats almost lost out on Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATSNUTme said:
You are questioning me but that's OK. Pro Football Weekly on their premium site the day before the draft. This was echoed on ESPN jsut before the draft and I believe Tom Curran mentioned it on NEST that friday night.

I don't think that hey had any interest in Hill and Huff was too far up the board for them to make a move.
I used Hill and Huff as examples i'm sure there were others they would have loved to grab. Ngata maybe? Who knows thats not the point.

On the same ESPN post draft show there was a story of how if Denver didnt move up to grab Cutler they would have grabbed Donte Whitner if Buffalo didnt grab him. So there seems to be a ton of behind the scenes stories with the Broncos this year and i'm just trying to make sense of it all.

Brady-To-Branch said:
Not to be wise, but JR Redmond, 3rd round, 2000.

To clarify, if Shanny was strongly considering Maroney, it means he's not sold on his current group of backs. Don't be surprised of Shanny tries to pull a trade for a RB this summer.

True, but BB was using 'Booby' Grier's draft board that year.

BB doesn't screw up in the first round, I fully expect Maroney to be the same. Solid this year and next, and maybe pro bowl his third year.

mavfan2390 said:
BB doesn't screw up in the first round, I fully expect Maroney to be the same. Solid this year and next, and maybe pro bowl his third year.
You can make a argument about Daniel Graham though.

SeanBruschi54 said:

Excluding this past draft, BB has drafted 6 1st rounders over the last 5 years. They were drafted in the following slots: 6, 21, 13, 21, 32, 32.

Graham hasn't panned out as some had hoped. But he's a 4 year starter, a dominant blocking TE, and a decent contributor in the passing game. If he's the worst of the 6 1st rounders, I'd say BB has done an outstanding job. I would venture to bet there's no team in the NFL with a better track record of selecting 1st rounders.

bucky said:
Excluding this past draft, BB has drafted 6 1st rounders over the last 5 years. They were drafted in the following slots: 6, 21, 13, 21, 32, 32.

Graham hasn't panned out as some had hoped. But he's a 4 year starter, a dominant blocking TE, and a decent contributor in the passing game. If he's the worst of the 6 1st rounders, I'd say BB has done an outstanding job. I would venture to bet there's no team in the NFL with a better track record of selecting 1st rounders.

If the Pats were dedicated to making Graham a receiving threat he could do the job. While he has made some big plays over the years he has been asked to be more blocker than receiver and has been an excellent player for us.

If Graham played for the Colts or another stat-obsessed team I'm sure he would have huge receiving numbers, with the Pats he has been forced to settle for a couple of Superbowl rings.

SeanBruschi54 said:

I dont know, they ask him to block alot which does not allow him to show them more of his receiveing skills.

SeanBruschi54 said:

Only if you don't watch the games. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maroney and Dillon will make each other better.

SeanBruschi54 said:

Please do so. I would like the chance to rebutt your theories on why Daniel Graham was a mistake 1st rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back