PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots vs. Miami Post Game Thread - The OH **** Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I defended the CBs after AZ. My defense has come down a bit after today, but only in so far as I'm not sure they're being as aggressive at the line as in previous years. For example, one of Ryan's best attributes is timing disruption (look at his games against D. Thomas last year). I haven't seen that from him so far. Maybe it's not in the game plan yet?

I defer to PFK's analysis that the team went to a softer approach in the second half and add to it that psychologically they could never get the edge back as the game wound on.
I said as much too. The Pats looked like they were playing a lot of Cover-3 in the second half.

Trying to look at things from a Miami perspective, should Stephen Ross start pushing for relegation to a lower league in the NFL?

I'm not going to include Brady in this, but the Dolphins played a Patriots team with no Gronkowski and no Garoppolo for the second half. They faced a rookie in the second half. They were the beneficiaries of a late missed FG by the usually reliable Gostkowski. They had all this going for them going for them going into and during the game and still lost.

One thing that always bugs me about the Pats...up three scores in the late third, up two scores in the fourth...and they continually snap the ball with 15-20 seconds on the play clock.

I don't get it.

How about throwing the ball after they got the INT with about 1:30 before the half? That FG should never have happened.

Last edited:
Understandable to see offense take a step back with Jimmy injury.

But what happened to the defense? No pressure on the qb, secondary looking like it's 2010-2012 again. I really hope they can fix that.

OL was not very good today, too many times Jimmy and Jacoby was running for their lives.

The defense after Jimmy got hurt was downright putrid.

I was at the game today with Tunescribe.

Never mind Jimmy G's injury. Never mind the corners giving up 21 out of 22 straight passes to Ryan friggin' Tannehill...let's just put it out there....in the 2nd half the Pats went to that damnable "bend don't break! bend don't break!" defense.
Here's the thing...BB teaches rush 3 drop 8...keep everything IN FRONT OF YOU. Coleman obviously missed THAT practice.
Here's the 2nd thing...Logan Ryan really sucks at bend don't break zone D. OK? Watch the tape.

Here's the 3rd thing...when Seattle drops Tannehill for 5 sacks LAST week along with a large number of pressures, and Tannehill puts up TEN FRIGGIN POINTS, why in the wide world of sports are WE sinking back into "bend don't break!!!!"...when we're bending, breaking, bumbling, stumbling and blowing coverages every friggin play? WHY????????????????????????

At LEAST bring FOUR lineman and spot a fifth blitzer here and there to disrupt Tannehill's rhythm. THAT is how you handle him. THAT is why we lost to the Fins two years ago down there. "Bend d0n't break bend don't break bend don't break". They better friggin PRACTICE their "bend don't break" in double sessions this week or I'm afraid we will see blow out city on Thursday night.

Tunescribe may have seen things differently than me because I've always been a Patton guy...."attack attack attack!". I know BB's defensive system plays a lot of these zone coverages where they line McCourty up deep, but if you cannot get a pass rush, the QB just drops the ball into the hole in the zone over and over and over and over....plus, with young guys like Coleman looking to make ESPN highlights by peeking into the backfield when his responsibility is the receiver in FRONT of him, it defeats the whole strategy. He got beat by FIVE YARDS at least on the 2nd TD. This is totally unacceptable.

Other than that...big time win. Losing a starting QB with a rookie backup would spell doom for most teams in this league.

Last edited:
I have been live at our first two games and watched our D line vigorously. I have yet to see anything resembling a decent pass rush, nor do a I see any individuals whom I would classify as "good" NFL pass rushers.

I have seen fantastic run stuffing, but hardly any QB hits

Last edited:
Long showed up today. The rest? Meh...

Whether you win by 100 or 1, you still get one win in the win column. The defense was glorious today.

It was my first gane at the Razor and I had a blast. People were nice, passionate and friendly. I liked the atmosphere, especially before Jimmy got hurt. After that the crowd kinda died.

Still had a blast. Sucks to lose Jimmy, he was doing great. So much poise in the pocket.

It is crazy how much more fun football is live and I love football on TV. Being able to see the whole play develop is so fun!

A dream came true. After 20 years of following this team, it was about time I made the trip down there.

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyed 11m11 minutes ago
Not the best day for the Patriots' cornerbacks. Here are my in-game coverage stats:

CsrBZR7WAAAbq_j.jpg

I thought Butler played injured which might explain some of those numbers.

One thing that always bugs me about the Pats...up three scores in the late third, up two scores in the fourth...and they continually snap the ball with 15-20 seconds on the play clock.

I don't get it.
Me neither. They were punting at one point with 20 seconds on the clock & their 3rd string QB in the game. They've got to slow down in that situation.

Long was great and Kyed had Sheard with better stats than I had realized (2 hits, 4 hurries). The concern right now would seem to be the lack of a third guy. Flowers and/or McClellin could fill that role, but they're each playing with a bad shoulder. The Pats may have to make due until Ninkovich is back (week 5) and ready to contribute (maybe not week 5).

OL was not very good today, too many times Jimmy and Jacoby was running for their lives.

You're right.. They weren't "very good" but they didn't suck either, which is kinda what you seem to be implying. On the contrary, they all but neutralized a very good Miami Front 7. The only time Miami seemed to get pressure was when they blitzed. And Miami was blitzing almost every down by the middle of the 3rd quarter just to try and get pressure on Brissett. The problem was that it didn't work out so well for them. Brissett proved to be mobile enough and intelligent enough to know when to take off and when to slide and when to throw it away.

Brissett and Garoppolo both showed some very good poise under pressure against a division rival.

The only issues I had with the O-line was that, at times, they didn't account for SUH in the run blocking. When they didn't, Suh was the one who made the stop. When they made sure to take Suh out, Miami couldn't stop the run.

Defense gave up 21 points in the second half, 14 coming in the 4th and Miami had a chance to score another TD. That's not championship defense. It's only week 2 and they will get better, as all BB defense does every year, but that was an awful second half.

14 of the 21 points were the direct result of the refs not calling things against Miami that they should have called. The OPI that they called a DPI. The False Start. The Illegal Hands to the face by their C and RG.

The 2nd half wasn't nearly as awful as people make it out to have been.. Especially when you consider tht the Refs were either incompetent or biased.

Only two words - pyrrhic victory.

What was the cost? Garoppolo and Andrews getting dinged up. Brissett getting his baptism under fire and showing that he's a lot more ready than many people thought?

I was at the game today with Tunescribe.

Never mind Jimmy G's injury. Never mind the corners giving up 21 out of 22 straight passes to Ryan friggin' Tannehill...let's just put it out there....in the 2nd half the Pats went to that damnable "bend don't break! bend don't break!" defense.
Here's the thing...BB teaches rush 3 drop 8...keep everything IN FRONT OF YOU. Coleman obviously missed THAT practice.
Here's the 2nd thing...Logan Ryan really sucks at bend don't break zone D. OK? Watch the tape.

Here's the 3rd thing...when Seattle drops Tannehill for 5 sacks LAST week along with a large number of pressures, and Tannehill puts up TEN FRIGGIN POINTS, why in the wide world of sports are WE sinking back into "bend don't break!!!!"...when we're bending, breaking, bumbling, stumbling and blowing coverages every friggin play? WHY????????????????????????

At LEAST bring FOUR lineman and spot a fifth blitzer here and there to disrupt Tannehill's rhythm. THAT is how you handle him. THAT is why we lost to the Fins two years ago down there. "Bend d0n't break bend don't break bend don't break". They better friggin PRACTICE their "bend don't break" in double sessions this week or I'm afraid we will see blow out city on Thursday night.

Tunescribe may have seen things differently than me because I've always been a Patton guy...."attack attack attack!". I know BB's defensive system plays a lot of these zone coverages where they line McCourty up deep, but if you cannot get a pass rush, the QB just drops the ball into the hole in the zone over and over and over and over....plus, with young guys like Coleman looking to make ESPN highlights by peeking into the backfield when his responsibility is the receiver in FRONT of him, it defeats the whole strategy. He got beat by FIVE YARDS at least on the 2nd TD. This is totally unacceptable.

Other than that...big time win. Losing a starting QB with a rookie backup would spell doom for most teams in this league.
The reason the kind of defense we saw in the second half feels so frustrating is because it's not "fan-friendly" to watch. I also would rather see a more aggressive style in pretty much all situations because it's more exciting. But being a master of "situational football" as BB likes to call it, we had a situation today where he saw the clock as much if not more the opponent as Miami because of the lead the Pats had and Garoppolo gone. In his battle against the clock, BB beat Miami by attrition of time. It seems to work more often than not in winning games. I guess the only way to tell the difference would've been to employ an attacking defense in the same situation which -- who knows? -- might have opened the door to quicker Dolphins scores and a loss, especially with Brissett's assumed limited capacity to come back from behind if necessary late. (Not that he would be totally incapable, but that's not a position you'd choose to put a rookie in if you can avoid it.)

The way I try to view games like this is the bottom line -- a WIN. Whether it's by 31 points or 7 points it really doesn't matter and comes down to a matter of style. You can argue with the style and not like the style, but no fan takes issue with the result.

Last edited:
Me neither. They were punting at one point with 20 seconds on the clock & their 3rd string QB in the game. They've got to slow down in that situation.

That is on Ryan Allen. As a veteran, he should know to wait and run the time down..

Btw here was the defense in the 1st half

3 and out
3 and out
3 and out
4 and out
Forced fumble
INT
FG

That was elite level type **** in the 1st half and then then for whatever reason went into sleep mode when they went up 31-3

So some people need to calm down on the defense sucks stuff. Had a bad 2nd half but that 1st half was top 5 level defensive play

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News