PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for TE Martellus Bennett!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No chance that Bennett will take a paycut when he quit on the Bears last season because of his contract.

To me this is just an one-year rental. We take his $5 million cap hit and let him walk next offseason. I'm pretty sure we still have enough cap space to extend Hightower this offseason even with the Bennett addition, unless you are suggesting that the Pats should do more in addition to Bennett then yes, we don't have enough cap space, but remember we still have Cannon and Amendola's contract that could be restructured or even dumped.

I think you are missing a couple of things.

The Bears were not paying him $5m. None of it was guaranteed. If he gets hurt he gets zip. If he gets cut he gets zip. With the Black Friday of free agency over, teams are preparing for the draft and can wait till after the draft to sign players. Teams can also wait to cut players after the draft or in TC which is when the players have sucky leverage.

If Bennett was smart, he'd redo his deal to make it a 1yr 2m+ guaranteed contract. Pats can spread it out and he gets piece of mind. Maybe they sweeten it by getting him to 3 or 4m w/ performance incentives.

I am. They are not paying him $5m and adding another $5m in cap space for 2016.

Not gonna happen.

I disagree. Bennett is worth $5 million a year. He's a good player.

And if he doesn't WANT to take a paycut, then the Pats have no choice. Soooo.... it's probably gonna happen.

His production dropped a bit (from his monster 90 catch season in 2014) last year even before he went to IR with a rib injury. It's noteworthy that he skipped voluntary workouts in the last offseason over contract disputes. Chicago seems to have a replacement for him, but seems like Bennett didnt want to play the TE 2 in Chicago. hiopefully that tune will change in NE.

To be fair, most of the blocking was the guards/centers not holding up. Had little to do with the outside guys. While it will help no doubt, they need the interior guys to get a push much much better than last season.
Don't disagree at all but Gronk Bennett and hogan is as good as it gets in addition to what the OL does on a base offense.

How good is this guy? Seems like a quality tight end.

So after this year his contract is up..he doesn't work out they will just let him walk..he truns out of be a force with Gronk..may get paid. win win

Really smart play ... We got a cheap TE for NOTHING. We give them a 4th and we got a 6th, and if hes gone next year we recoup that pick...

I think you are missing a couple of things.

The Bears were not paying him $5m. None of it was guaranteed. If he gets hurt he gets zip. If he gets cut he gets zip. With the Black Friday of free agency over, teams are preparing for the draft and can wait till after the draft to sign players. Teams can also wait to cut players after the draft or in TC which is when the players have sucky leverage.

If Bennett was smart, he'd redo his deal to make it a 1yr 2m+ guaranteed contract. Pats can spread it out and he gets piece of mind. Maybe they sweeten it by getting him to 3 or 4m w/ performance incentives.

I see. I didn't know his contract wasn't guaranteed. If that's the case then yeah, he absolutely should take a smaller contract with more guaranteed money.

Bennett does have some issues with attitude but being in this kind of organization and winning much more than not and getting his yards and TDs (Which he will) goes a lot way to curing a lot of that other stuff.

This is HUUUUUGE for us.

99130.gif

Between Bennett and Long, we're going to have one pretty silly lockerroom this coming season. Add Gronk's bottomless exuberance to that, and it could get.... unruly.

I disagree. Bennett is worth $5 million a year. He's a good player.

And if he doesn't WANT to take a paycut, then the Pats have no choice. Soooo.... it's probably gonna happen.
Doesnt matter what he is worth. It matters what he can get.

It was the same deal with Moss and Dillon. The redid their deals and got market value when they performed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3