PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for TE Martellus Bennett!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree again, Supa...Rob Gronkowski does NOT play football like he's high on cocaine...he plays it like the defense is sniffing glue...:D :D :D

Low risk high reward IMO

Shoot, I've been so desperate for another TE, I was planning on petitioning for work release for AH

#freeHernandez

JK

although I bet they'd give us back our draft pick

You have a history of attempting to "stand over" and lecture posters on things that you disagree with, which is exactly what you've attempted to do with me, and this is far from the first time. What is the point of posting responses 5-6-7 times over and over again to try and make your point? You made it the first time, and I actually gave you credit. Actually, if you want the truth, @Deus Irae already made it for you last night within minutes, we exchanged a post or two, and moved on.

The concern came from the fact that we may be using more pure 2 TE sets and Bennett is lower on the food chain that he's used to. You (and initially, Deus, whose comment you looked right at, then went and began pounding the drum for the same thing) made fine counter points, stating why you don't think it's an issue, and your reasoning made a lot of sense. What else do you think we should talk about on the subject?

What was the thinking process that was based on voicing this concern? Is that what you're asking? The fact that Bennett was seeing less snaps at certain times last season in blocking situations, that he's recently been used to being a major focal point of their offense, and has shown some signs of having an attitude problem. Human error? Faulty logic? I'm not sure what you're looking for, here, but I am very sure that you got the general point a long, long time ago and are showing signs of your usual argumentative nature.
Your assumptions are wrong. I was and still am trying to understand the basis for you saying he will block more here. You have commented on other things that you feel over and over but not addressed that question which is all I was asking. You don't need to keep repeating your number of concerns because that is not what I am asking. I'm not asking you to explain why you have concerns. I just didn't understand why he would block more here in a more pass heavy offense. If you don't want to answer fine but no need to act like I'm playing games with you when I asked a question and you want to answer about other things than what I asked. Amy way I don't care any more.

You have a history of attempting to "stand over" and lecture posters on things that you disagree with, which is exactly what you've attempted to do with me, and this is far from the first time. What is the point of posting responses 5-6-7 times over and over again to try and make your point? You made it the first time, and I actually gave you credit. Actually, if you want the truth, @Deus Irae already made it for you last night within minutes, we exchanged a post or two, and moved on.

The concern came from the fact that we may be using more pure 2 TE sets and Bennett is lower on the food chain that he's used to. You (and initially, Deus, whose comment you looked right at, then went and began pounding the drum for the same thing) made fine counter points, stating why you don't think it's an issue, and your reasoning made a lot of sense. What else do you think we should talk about on the subject?

What was the thinking process that was based on voicing this concern? Is that what you're asking? The fact that Bennett was seeing less snaps at certain times last season in blocking situations, that he's recently been used to being a major focal point of their offense, and has shown some signs of having an attitude problem. Human error? Faulty logic? I'm not sure what you're looking for, here, but I am very sure that you got the general point a long, long time ago and are showing signs of your usual argumentative nature.

he has to get the last word in, but eventually will call you 'obsessed'......and will insist he doesn't think he knows more than anyone else

It is a cool story, although even here, the author points out how Bennett's competitive nature doesn't fit into what the Bears are looking for in their locker room.

Lmao- I take it they are using the Colts model.

At least Bennett can still hang his participation banners from his years with the Bears.................

I was trying to figure out who you were talking to but should have known from your comments. I put him on ignore long ago because he had absolutely no interest in discussing anything and is only looking for an argument when he posts. When he can engage someone he then acts like DA Jack McCoy and ignores what they say while he tries his best to prosecute his case. It's one of the most obnoxious acts I have ever come across in my time posting and I don't miss seeing his posts one bit. My advice, put him on ignore.

Last edited:
Well he has had 3 years of preparation so he's more ready than anyone

I heard he just stubbed his toe getting out of bed, and is out for the season.

I was trying to figure out who you were talking to but should have known from your comments. I pot him on ignore long ago because he had absolutely no interest in discussing anything and is only looking for an argument when he posts. When he can engage someone he then acts like DA Jack McCoy and ignores what they say while he tries his best to prosecute his case. It's one of the most obnoxious acts I have ever come across in my time posting and I don't miss seeing his posts one bit. My advice, put him on ignore.

there was like an 8 hour window where I forgot to log back in after the server upgrades, and i had to read his posts, and i kept thinking to myself, jesus why don't i have this dude on ignore.

This trade has me giddy as a school girl. I literally jumped up and down screaming. I want the season to start tomorrow I'm so excited to see him and gronk.

Per reporter Dan Wiederer, Bennett offered "minimal effort to conform to the unselfish and focus-driven culture" the Bears are trying to instill under coach John Fox. Wiederer also confirms Bennett's late season ribs injury, which landed him on injured reserve for four games, was essentially a sham. In the end, the sides' divorce boiled down to the fact that Bennett wanted a better contract and the Bears were dead set against it. So is life for a player in a league where teams monopolize the negotiating power with non-guaranteed deals.

Bennett thought he was due a pay raise (based on his contract and the absurd money being thrown to the Coby Fleeners of the world, he's totally correct) and the Bears didn't want to give it to him so they smeared him as selfish, kept him off the field in the red zone, and then made up a rib injury to force him into injured reserve. On one hand, Bennett's going to be angry as hell this year, and that's good for us. On the other, who the hell would ever want to play for the Bears?!

This trade has me giddy as a school girl. I literally jumped up and down screaming. I want the season to start tomorrow I'm so excited to see him and gronk.

Well according to the Boston sports media you shouldnt because Scott Chandler

Well according to the Boston sports media you shouldnt because Scott Chandler
I feel like that's a dumb assertion. If we went back 12 months, before last free agency, before Chandler was signed, and we polled all Pats fans "who would you rather have, Scott Chandler or Martellus Bennett?" I would imagine the vast majority would say Bennett, and most would agree the talent level between the two isn't comparable. Chandler was always a really really tall receiver who could block OK and catch OK and run OK and had some good games against us so he would probably do decently as the second TE, but it didn't work out. Bennett is a total physical freak who would be the #1 TE on most teams and is a matchup nightmare as the second TE. The only way it doesn't work out is if his personality doesn't fit, but I think that the leadership in the locker room between Brady, Edelman, Gronk, McCourty and Hightower is not only strong but also pretty accommodating. Belichick converted Talib for goodness sakes. Bennett will be fine.

I like the trade, I just hope he can learn the play bookeroo.

I like the trade, I just hope he can learn the play bookeroo.

That's my #1b concern. My #1a concern is getting on the same wavelength as Tom and gaining his trust. If hes not where Tom expects him, he'll loose confidence in him and in the dog house he'll go.

It is a cool story, although even here, the author points out how Bennett's competitive nature doesn't fit into what the Bears are looking for in their locker room.

Again, the signing/trade is a good one due to the circumstances and cheap trade compensation, but if we're being totally honest and fair, his attitude issues have been very well documented. Hopefully in NE, the change in culture can rub off on him. If not, he's still a nice piece to have for a year.

Competitiveness is definitely the last thing that I look for in a professional athlete.

Seriously though, I think your point's a good one, and fair to make. The Pats have proven willing to take chances on guys with some character concerns who sometimes fail to work out within their culture. Sometimes it pans out to the tune of Randy Moss or Corey Dillon, and sometimes you get Chad Ochocinco or Albert Haynesworth. It's a risk that the Pats are willing to take, and I generally agree with their philosophy, so I don't even necessarily see it as an organizational criticism to observe this fact. It's just something that warrants mentioning.

Competitiveness is definitely the last thing that I look for in a professional athlete.

Seriously though, I think your point's a good one, and fair to make. The Pats have proven willing to take chances on guys with some character concerns who sometimes fail to work out within their culture. Sometimes it pans out to the tune of Randy Moss or Corey Dillon, and sometimes you get Chad Ochocinco or Albert Haynesworth. It's a risk that the Pats are willing to take, and I generally agree with their philosophy, so I don't even necessarily see it as an organizational criticism to observe this fact. It's just something that warrants mentioning.

hehe your signature says it all!

"Our program is built on competition and trying to work every day and work hard, and it's not built on excuses." -Bill Belichick

Weird. It's the very first thing I look for.

So this is probably a silly question at this stage, but just for fun: let's say Bennett picks up the playbook well, gels great with the guys in the locker room, and has a monster season wrecking the league alongside Gronk. The 2TE offense is back and the Pats stomp all over teams. Now he's a free agent next year.

Do you think the Pats pay him? Would they try to? Would you want to? It would probably cost them more than Gronk costs, which is sort of a problem. But it would also really suck ass to have that great weapon here for a year and then be gone and be back to the drawing board again.

Just food for thought. I would love to keep him but it seems unlikely that the team would pay him more than they're paying Gronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST