PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign DT Marcus Stroud

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this.

He clearly has the build for 3-4 DE. And in no way am I going to let his time in Buffalo's 3-4 determine whether he can succeed here. First off not all 3-4s are the same but more importantly I will take my chances with BB and his staff teaching the 3-4 Vs. the Buffalo staff.

At the very least this protects you against losing Gerrard Warren or Ty Warren not bouncing back. And at its best you get a 3-4 DE who actually fits the mold.

Stroud, Wilform, Tiny seems like a pretty stout group to me.

As to the draft I think this highlights the OLB need as more important than DE but I dont think it means you wont take a DE if the right guy is there the DL could use the youth especially young starter as we have young back ups.

If Stroud and Ty warren play to their ability, a line of Stroud-Wilfork-Warren will be one of the best. The question is if Stroud and Ty can make a comeback.

Re: Schefter: Pats sign Marcus Stroud

Brace isn't going anywhere

I think Belichick sees this guy as a development DL and even though it has been a bit slow due to Brace's injuries and his up and down play,Brace still will be a backup on this team in 2011...almost a lock IMO

I agree. Brace made huge strides last year. He's not an all-pro, but certainly had some good games and played well.

As others have said, I'm more concerned about the depth. Wright, Pryor both had injuries last year. G. Warren is a FA. Deaderick is an unknown still. Ty Warren should be healthy but theses last few years, whil ehe has played hes been less than what we saw in 2007.

Washington is a "3-4" team with hardly any "3-4" personnel.

Washington has a documented history of doing really stupid things.

Washington is recognized as one of the teams looking for a QB. Would they be willing to trade if they covet a QB and none are off the board after 9?
From a Redskin perspective, in this scenario what would be bad about getting one of the QB's at 17 (less money) while picking up a player you have great need for and has reasonable potential?

Do they want Deaderick? Who knows but they do need 3-4 personnel. This is the type of scenario that would lead BB to stockpile and trade players the league needs.

Putting the trade vallue aside which doesnt seem to match up. Why would BB use a 32/33 year old Stroud as an excuse to start wholesale on his D line? He is going to need these guys as much as any other 3-4 team.

Washington is a "3-4" team with hardly any "3-4" personnel.

Washington has a documented history of doing really stupid things.

Washington is recognized as one of the teams looking for a QB. Would they be willing to trade if they covet a QB and none are off the board after 9?
From a Redskin perspective, in this scenario what would be bad about getting one of the QB's at 17 (less money) while picking up a player you have great need for and has reasonable potential?

Do they want Deaderick? Who knows but they do need 3-4 personnel. This is the type of scenario that would lead BB to stockpile and trade players the league needs.

The Redskins don't need to settle for Deaderick in a trade scenario of that sort.

No need to get condecending.

NFL teams (including the Patriots) use this system as a way of assigning value to draft selections. There is nothing fantasy football/Matt Millen about it.

Your over-assesment of a 7th round pick who had a couple of starts, was benched, hurt and later suspended by the team is absurd. Just because he has played end in a 3-4 set doesn't mean he is worth 7 slots on the 1st round.

C'mon now...

Dude

It's called an example. I'm not advocating a trade.

I used that as an example of a concept that having extra tradeable pieces (3-4 Dline) would allow the Pats flexibility in April. If it makes more understandable, insert Brace vs Deaderick. How about Merriweather and Deaderick?

How about Deaderick and Love to move up for Houston's 3rd rounder?

The reality is a Stroud addition makes trading anyone (not named Wilfork) more viable.

A guy would only get signed because:

Additional depth
Replacement
Trade flexibility

Brace isn't going anywhere

I think Belichick sees this guy as a development DL and even though it has been a bit slow due to Brace's injuries and his up and down play,Brace still will be a backup on this team in 2011...almost a lock IMO

I would expect that Brace is safer than G. Warren, since I don't think G. Warren got the job done last year. However, Brace has been unable to stay healthy, and he's been unable to win a starting job. I'm not saying that he's going anywhere, but I am saying that the Stroud signing is not a good sign for one of the primary backups. Someone noted Wright as a possibility, but Wright is a pass rush guy, and that's not Stroud's strength.

I'm not concerned about depth.

STARTERS
The 3 starters should be able to handle the reps of Wilfork and Warren last year
Wilfork and G Warren were the only player who were in on more than 40% of the reps, much like Wilfork and Ty Warren in 2009.

THE REST
The 5 backups should be able to handle what the backups gave us last year.
The reps were split among six players last year, with all of them participating in fewer than 30% of the defensive reps.

We have reps for about 5 healthy players. We have 5 players, even if NONE of the injured players are back. We should expect added reps from Deaderick and Brace. Also, I do expect at least ONE of Warren, Wright and Pryor to be back strong.

Warren, Wilfork, Stroud
Brace, Love, Deaderick
Pryor, Wright
Richard, Weston

I agree. Brace made huge strides last year. He's not an all-pro, but certainly had some good games and played well.

As others have said, I'm more concerned about the depth. Wright, Pryor both had injuries last year. G. Warren is a FA. Deaderick is an unknown still. Ty Warren should be healthy but theses last few years, whil ehe has played hes been less than what we saw in 2007.

Dude

It's called an example. I'm not advocating a trade.

I used that as an example of a concept that having extra tradeable pieces (3-4 Dline) would allow the Pats flexibility in April. If it makes more understandable, insert Brace vs Deaderick. How about Merriweather and Deaderick?

How about Deaderick and Love to move up for Houston's 3rd rounder?

The reality is a Stroud addition makes trading anyone (not named Wilfork) more viable.

A guy would only get signed because:

Additional depth
Replacement
Trade flexibility

I get you now but I'm not the only one who interpreted your post as saying Deaderick's net worth was 7 spots in the 1st round. Brace and Merriweather make more sense b/c of their value and their contributions. More BM than Brace.

I agree with your assesement of Stroud. BB stockpiles players and sorts out the bodies during camp. Some make it (Warren) some don't (Lewis). I like Stroud but I don't think he is a sho-in for significant playing time if Brace, Ty Warren and G. Warren (if he comes back) show the goods in camp. With that said Stroud > G. Warren IMO.

With the draft deep in D line

You have to take them when available

so I imagine a first will still be used on D Line/OLB

With the other Oline

This would seem to be bad news for Brace, Gerard Warren, or both. Stroud is in enough of a decline that a lousy Buffalo team cut him loose. BB deciding that he's worth signing even with Ty Warren coming back is not a vote of confidence for those already "with" the team, especially if the Patriots go DE with one of their first 3 picks.

I think the Bills cutting him was purely financial. He's not the player he was once, but he's probably going to be the best DE we've had in that spot since Seymour was traded. Now, you can counter with saying that that doesn't mean a whole lot, and I would agree. But Stroud COULD potentially be the run stuffer at DE we need. His production has remained relatively steady.

I think the Bills cutting him was purely financial. He's not the player he was once, but he's probably going to be the best DE we've had in that spot since Seymour was traded. Now, you can counter with saying that that doesn't mean a whole lot, and I would agree. But Stroud COULD potentially be the run stuffer at DE we need. His production has remained relatively steady.

2011 Stroud better than 2009 Ty Warren? Not sure I agree, however Ty was banged up for a good chunk of that year.

2011 Stroud better than 2009 Ty Warren? Not sure I agree, however Ty was banged up for a good chunk of that year.

I'm referring to the spot opposite Warren, specifically - the hole left behind in the Big Sey trade.

Here's some Buffalo input on the Stroud release. Most of them don't see it the way you do:

Buffalo Bills Release DE Marcus Stroud - Buffalo Rumblings

I'm referring to the spot opposite Warren, specifically - the hole left behind in the Big Sey trade.

I misread. Agree 100%. Although I'd hate to slow down Brace's development too much as he showed marked improvement over his rookie year.

I misread. Agree 100%. Although I'd hate to slow down Brace's development too much as he showed marked improvement over his rookie year.

Good point. I'd say it's a good problem to have though, when considering Wright's status is up in the air and that Ty Warren isn't a sure-thing to return to his previous self. We were remarkably unlucky when it came to DL health this year, so I imagine BB is making sure that won't be a problem in 2011.

Last edited:

Here's some Buffalo input on the Stroud release. Most of them don't see it the way you do:

Buffalo Bills Release DE Marcus Stroud - Buffalo Rumblings

That wouldn't necessarily read as an indictment..."Not worth the money" and "not right for our system" don't apply to New England.

I'll take Belichick's word on whether Stroud fits in our system over Buffalo fans. Based on size & strength alone, there's no reason to think Stroud couldn't handle our 2-gap 34 system.

can Wright even watch TV yet?

Just what I was thinking.

He missed the last 3 months of the season with a concussion. After Duerson, etc. and the constant drumbeat and revelations about life after concussions for NFL players, it doesn't sound like we should count on Mike Wright being back. He certainly played above expectations through his career and I wish him the best of everything going forward if he decides to retire.

The Redskins don't need to settle for Deaderick in a trade scenario of that sort.

Sure it would be a foolish trade on their part.

However, we're talking about Dan Snyder here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back