PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign DT Marcus Stroud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice signing. Hopefully he'll be more effective than G.Warren was.

Stroud may be the Alge Crumpler for this year's DE version of Gronk/Hernandez. Ty Warren will have his own issues to deal with and probably wouldn't be as available for that kind of guidance/direction.

with him and Ty comeing back the run D is going to be great

Re: Schefter: Pats sign Marcus Stroud

With so many strong D-lineman judged to be 1st rd'ers, it wouldn't be the first time BB went
counter-current. Maroney was the first pick of three on offense in a draft loaded with LB's .

For some strange reason your example does not inspire confidence about this draft. Maybe it's just me.

For some strange reason your example does not inspire confidence about this draft. Maybe it's just me.

Does anyone remember how excited we were when we drafted Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson?

Compared to, say, McCourty, Mayo or Mankins.

Sometimes the boring pick is the best one.

Does anyone remember how excited we were when we drafted Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson?

2006 was needs based considering the Dillon and Givens/Branch situation.

Everyone remembers 2005 as Duane Starks but by the end of the year, the defense was pretty good. The loss in Denver was the result of turnovers. Denver's offense did virtually zero.

Also, the Reggie Bush/Vince Young/Matt Lienart draft isn't exactly the strongest ever.

Wilfork Warren (Warren) Stroud Brace Deaderick Pryor Wright Love

OL and OLB clearly are the biggest needs especially with this signing and Kaczur's imminent departure.

Yup. OL is a huge need now; ugh--that makes the draft speculation so boring....

Hopefully they can get G. Warren back. Ty can go get an advanced degree for all I care...

Last edited:
How much Stroud has left at this age is a concern.
But to compare Stroud to Lewis or G Warren based upon their level of play in their NFL careers is ludicrous.
Warren was a top 5 pick who had a solid career as about an average level starter. Lewis was a tick below that.
Stroud has been one of the best DL (particularly vs the run) of his era.
What he brings to the table is to be determined but if he is close to his prime this is a big addition.

I don't know about you but I was happy when we drafted Mayo.

With the Patriots signing the likes of G Warren last year and Stroud this year, seems BB makes it very clear that he desires girth on his 3 DL formation and the Cameron Jordan's of the draft at 285 don't cut it. Wilkerson fits the template better

I too, am high on Wilkerson from Temple. That said though, I try not to get too excited about certain specific players, b/c you never 'really' know the ins/outs of what we really need, only Belichick truly knows that. We can only speculate about expiring contracts, improvements of talent etc. If we did take Wilkerson though, I wouldn't complain. He does have experience at both 30 and 40 fronts, and played well at both.

Could be a candidate at 28 or 33, in my opinion.

JJ Watt does intrigue me too however. I don't know if I really feel that the Stroud signing definitely makes G.Warren a goner or not.

I don't know about you but I was happy when we drafted Mayo.

I thought we drafted Mayo a little early but I wasn't disappointed with the pick. We were looking for the next Patrick Willis that year, Bruschi and Ted Johnson were both either retired or on the way out.

I liked the McCourty pick as well. Great talent, 4 down player as BB put it. But I did think it was a luxury pick. Turned out that we needed him bad and landed a true #1 CB. Statistically, McCourty's rookie season was even better than that of one Darrelle Revis.

To people who didnt like this signing:

Question his age: 32, but has started just about every game. I feel like people see a player over 30 as done and too old. The best players in this game are all great into their 30s, its less about age and more about general health, and Stroud has that on his side

Question his production in Buffalo: Football is the ultimate team sport and circumstance means everything. Consider the following...Haynesworth is an absolute beast in tennessee with Vanden bosch (yeah i know he sucked after that line/defense left) and great coaching. Haynesworth moves to the skins gets a fat contract and little supporting cast. Magically he sucks a big one. Stroud is great in Jax, goes to a situation worse than Haynesworth in every regard. His supporting cast in the front seven was way worse than alberts and the Bills had an absolute failure of a switch to the 3-4 under the guidance of a DC with only 1 year of experience. On top of all this, he still maintained his normal 3 sacks a year. People don't realize how to look at 3-4 DEs and they certainly don't give small market players any respect

Not only do I like this signing, but I think that Stroud might have a renaissance year with the pats. You put decent players like Warren (Gerald) and Wright and Brace next to Wilfork and they look like NFL starters...You put a 3 time pro bowler next to Wilfork and he will terrorize offensive linemen. If stroud and wilfork suck up 2 linemen on each play, that leaves a healthy ty warren to take on the right tackle and a tight end. Blitz just one LB and the RB is taken out....blitz 2 LBs and opposing QBs are going to need a pack of brown paper bags to hold all sack lunches we gonna make dem EAT

To be fair (and as expected), the comments on various Bills forums seem to be much more divided.

Really, I think we should take opinions with a grain of salt. After all, we know what happens to fans on this very forum when it comes to crapping on players on their way out.

I agree, and think this is a good point.

The funny (or ironic) thing is that no matter what it certainly adds depth/improves competition at a reasonable cost, yet no matter what there are people who will say that it's a bad signing. Yet if the team would've gone out and picked up a no-name JAG, they'd be saying the exact same thing. These signings often seem like a no win solution for many, and I'm not quite sure why.

Sure, he may/may not even make the 53 man roster, but to me it's a low risk, med-to high reward signing. (Unless of course it ends up being a lousy cost efficient signing, but I would guess/hope not)

Question his age: 32, but has started just about every game. I feel like people see a player over 30 as done and too old. The best players in this game are all great into their 30s, its less about age and more about general health, and Stroud has that on his side

Question his production in Buffalo: Football is the ultimate team sport and circumstance means everything. Consider the following...Haynesworth is an absolute beast in tennessee with Vanden bosch (yeah i know he sucked after that line/defense left) and great coaching. Haynesworth moves to the skins gets a fat contract and little supporting cast. Magically he sucks a big one. Stroud is great in Jax, goes to a situation worse than Haynesworth in every regard. His supporting cast in the front seven was way worse than alberts and the Bills had an absolute failure of a switch to the 3-4 under the guidance of a DC with only 1 year of experience. On top of all this, he still maintained his normal 3 sacks a year. People don't realize how to look at 3-4 DEs and they certainly don't give small market players any respect

Not only do I like this signing, but I think that Stroud might have a renaissance year with the pats. You put decent players like Warren (Gerald) and Wright and Brace next to Wilfork and they look like NFL starters...You put a 3 time pro bowler next to Wilfork and he will terrorize offensive linemen. If stroud and wilfork suck up 2 linemen on each play, that leaves a healthy ty warren to take on the right tackle and a tight end. Blitz just one LB and the RB is taken out....blitz 2 LBs and opposing QBs are going to need a pack of brown paper bags to hold all sack lunches we gonna make dem EAT

Great points, I think that's spot on. Stroud will be a big upgrade - a good two-year pickup.

Last edited:
Next signing should be Lawson the tender is first refusal only,
I think a 5 year 27 million dollar contract and he could be ours!
We should of drafted him instead of Maroney anyway.
I hope we attempt to right the wrong.

Great points, I think that's spot on. Stroud will be a big upgrade - a good two-year pickup.

Concur. A truly exceptional Post, Brother Greerre.

Best post in this thread. Surely makes you excited to see if he can compete well in a Pats uni.

Boy I sure hope you're spot on in your analysis, rook!

I liked Warren's positive vet team attitude but his run D was sub-par at best.

Boy I sure hope you're spot on in your analysis, rook!

I liked Warren's positive vet team attitude but his run D was sub-par at best.

That's because he is too slow off the snap. There seems to me almost a full second pause after the ball is snapped before he starts to come out of his stance.... and he doesn't come out of the stance very quickly to begin with. If he could fix that part of his game, he'd be good.

...and becomes the oldest player on this defense, by a couple years.

Not entering the debate about whether he is too old, but interesting that there are only three other players in their 30's currently on the defense (TBC, Eric Moore, Ty Warren).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back