PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign DT Marcus Stroud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Pats sign Marcus Stroud

This would seem to be bad news for Brace, Gerard Warren, or both. Stroud is in enough of a decline that a lousy Buffalo team cut him loose. BB deciding that he's worth signing even with Ty Warren coming back is not a vote of confidence for those already "with" the team, especially if the Patriots go DE with one of their first 3 picks.

Last edited:

He's the fourth 2001 first round DT the Pats have signed. Gerard Warren was the 3rd pick that year, Seymour was 6th, Damione Lewis was 12th, and Stroud was 13th. Just in case you were wondering ;)

Reminds me of the G. Warren signing, but IMO Stroud has much more upside.

I like this signing, opens us up for an OLB or OL at #17 and/or #28.

This seems to be a solid signing, business as usual for Belichick. While we all would like to see an upgrade or two, this unit is in pretty good shape.

========================
LIKELY OUT Gerard Warren, Mike Wright
IN Marcus Stroud
Ty Warren
=========================
The rest are still in place
Wilfork, Brace, Pryor, Deaderick and Love
(Richard, Weston)
==========================

This would seem to be bad news for Brace, Gerard Warren, or both. Stroud is in enough of a decline that a lousy Buffalo team cut him loose. BB deciding that he's worth signing even with Ty Warren coming back is not a vote of confidence for those already "with" the team, especially if the Patriots go DE with one of their first 3 picks.

I believe that Stroud's 2010 problem revolved around playing a 3-4 nose tackle. A roll he isn't suited.

Since 3-4 personnel are in such limited supply, it would be interesting to see the trade value for our guys. A team like Houston or Washington would be an ideal trading partner.

Would you make a trade to move to 10 (Washington) for the 17th and say Deaderick?

The simple fact is lack of any personnel is a much, much bigger problem than a lack of quality personnel.

Thats what I thought too.

Wrights salary is 2.165 M for 2011 per Miguel.

can Wright even watch TV yet?

Would you make a trade to move to 10 (Washington) for the 17th and say Deaderick?

First of all, if Deaderick can get his head out of his butt, he can have a solid NFL career so I'm not sure I'd dump him yet. With that said, it'll take a lot more than him to go from 17 to 10.

NFL draft-pick value chart - NFL - ESPN

The Pats will need 450 in pick "points" to get there. That is essentially the 45th pick or two 3rd rounders. Deaderick does not have that kind of value.

Last edited:

I believe that Stroud's 2010 problem revolved around playing a 3-4 nose tackle. A roll he isn't suited.

Since 3-4 personnel are in such limited supply, it would be interesting to see the trade value for our guys. A team like Houston or Washington would be an ideal trading partner.

The simple fact is lack of any personnel is a much, much bigger problem than a lack of quality personnel.

1.) Kyle Williams was the Bills nose tackle, not Stroud. Stroud was a DE.

2.) Why would Washington want Deaderick anywhere near enough to make that trade?

I am honestly worried about Ty Warren.

First of all, if Deaderick can get his head out of his butt, he can have a solid NFL career so I'm not sure I'd dump him yet. With that said, it'll take a lot more than him to go from 17 to 10.

NFL draft-pick value chart - NFL - ESPN

The Pats will need 450 in pick "points" to get there. That is essentially the 45th pick or two 3rd rounders. Deaderick does not have that kind of value.

Ahhhh OK there Matt Millen.

Basic concepts

Ever heard of examples?

The NFL is very short of 3-4 personnel and the Patriots have them.....and they are young. Those are the two prime qualities that make other teams "overpay".

As such, don't shocked if any of them (Vince the exception) could be on the block.

Think your points mean anything if the Redskins target one of the QB's and none of them are off the board after 9?

Stroud as a DE in the 3-4 excels against the run. That's what this team has needed since the close of the 2009 season. It was obvious during a few games last year that Gerard Warren was not that guy.

Yes, INDEED!! I am JACKED that we signed this guy, even at this stage of his career!! :D

Of course I'm STILL pissed that we didn't sign his old partner, last Spring. :mad:

He's the fourth 2001 first round DT the Pats have signed. Gerard Warren was the 3rd pick that year, Seymour was 6th, Damione Lewis was 12th, and Stroud was 13th. Just in case you were wondering ;)

Hah!! That's CRAZY!!
jester.gif

I am honestly worried about Ty Warren.

That's a legit concern, but all the reports to date indicate that he's on his way to a full recovery. This signing to me smells more like the Damione Lewis and Gerard Warren signings, although the nice thing here is that Stroud has a natural five-technique build, unlike those guys.

I watched the Pittsburgh-Buffalo game last year and remember thinking that Stroud looked pretty good on the outside (he didn't look so hot against the Pats). He gets his hands on some balls, and he still has a lot of power. I doubt this affects their draft plans at all, but I think it's a nice sign for them. Almost everyone they threw out there at 3-4 end last year was too short to go up against offensive tackles. He's good depth I think, should help them against the run, and they did need help against the run.

This could also mean that Wright or Pryor might not be back.

Wrights health is a big question for me right now. BB has a good understanding of the DL class of 2001, and he certainly doesn't mind bringing them on board to assist in depth on his line.

I think you have to factor in the ? health status of Wright here, and the comeback health of Ty W. You are also coming into a year in which there may be a lockout and a stunted practice/pre-season. The faster you will be able to come out the gate on the other side without major changes to players or system, the better off you will be as a team. Vets that you have lots of film on and have previously scouted help in that regard. BB knows exactly how Stroud can help him. Smooth addition of stability pre draft.

This draft should provide us with good depth picks, and roll players.

Brace isn't going anywhere

I think Belichick sees this guy as a development DL and even though it has been a bit slow due to Brace's injuries and his up and down play,Brace still will be a backup on this team in 2011...almost a lock IMO

It creates competition in camp for sure, which is never a bad thing. Although, if Wright isn't quite recovered to their liking he will be cut, and if the Deaderick suspension last year (however brief) was indicative of deeper problems they have with him, he might not last either. I think between Ty coming off injury, Gerard not being a guarantee to return, Wright's health, and Deaderick's intangibles, there's plenty of room for D-Linemen to compete for depth and insurance on this squad.

This would be contingent on a new CBA being in place by then, since you can't trade players until then. But even assuming that happens, I can't remember the last time a player was used in a trade up. Straight up for a draft pick sure, but not in a pick swap like this. Also, count me amongst those thinking Deaderick wouldn't get this done. Yes, the league is looking for 3-4 talent, but it's not like he lit the world on fire last year.

Ahhhh OK there Matt Millen.

Basic concepts

Ever heard of examples?

The NFL is very short of 3-4 personnel and the Patriots have them.....and they are young. Those are the two prime qualities that make other teams "overpay".

As such, don't shocked if any of them (Vince the exception) could be on the block.

Think your points mean anything if the Redskins target one of the QB's and none of them are off the board after 9?

No need to get condecending.

NFL teams (including the Patriots) use this system as a way of assigning value to draft selections. There is nothing fantasy football/Matt Millen about it.

Your over-assesment of a 7th round pick who had a couple of starts, was benched, hurt and later suspended by the team is absurd. Just because he has played end in a 3-4 set doesn't mean he is worth 7 slots on the 1st round.

C'mon now...

As a guy who hated G. Warren until this year, I'm happy to stop rooting for him if we let him go. On the other hand, I used to love Stroud.

1.) Kyle Williams was the Bills nose tackle, not Stroud. Stroud was a DE.

2.) Why would Washington want Deaderick anywhere near enough to make that trade?

Washington is a "3-4" team with hardly any "3-4" personnel.

Washington has a documented history of doing really stupid things.

Washington is recognized as one of the teams looking for a QB. Would they be willing to trade if they covet a QB and none are off the board after 9?
From a Redskin perspective, in this scenario what would be bad about getting one of the QB's at 17 (less money) while picking up a player you have great need for and has reasonable potential?

Do they want Deaderick? Who knows but they do need 3-4 personnel. This is the type of scenario that would lead BB to stockpile and trade players the league needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes