PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign DT Marcus Stroud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off season acquisition for non-major money. Sign everybody. Kick the tires. If he is not as good as people we have now, cut him.

Look, I think the Stroud thing is a very good signing, but the Buffalo Bills had a lot of strength on defense. Their horrid offense is what caused them so much trouble. I don't think he was playing with stiffs. Kyle Williams, Aaron Schobel, Paul Poszlusny and Chris Kelsay are not stiffs.

I sat in the end zones for both Bills games this year, and I saw a huge change from game 1 to game 2. Belichick ran nothing but stretch plays in Buffalo whereas in game 1, they went head-to-head with the Bills d-line.

I'm pretty sure Belichick was very impressed by the Bills in game 1, but those defenders--including the great Kyle Williams--were totally lacking in lateral mobility in game 2. Belichick must be VERY aware of this in Stroud's case.

I very much doubt Stroud will be playing DE in New England. I bet you he's being groomed for the nose.

Re: Schefter: Pats sign Marcus Stroud

He's the 2011 version of Damione Lewis. Here for camp competition and probably little else. The best possible scenario I could see happening for him would be a "rush" interior lineman when they go to some of their 4 man line sub packages.

Bingo, training camp fodder (TCF). Best case he plays in a rotation at the same level that G. Warren played last year.

Ps. I installed the iSpell add-in for spell checking my posts... it is awesome, my grammar and spelling will now jump up to a grade 4 level.

Unless this guy is toast, why don't people think he would be in the DE rotation? He's averaged 3 sacks a year, and that's what he had last year, he's 6'6" and over three hundred, Not Wilfork or Washington shaped...and wilfork does a pretty good job at the noes i'd say.

How many players in the league would more likely fill a Seymour role, temporarily?

Unless this guy is toast, why don't people think he would be in the DE rotation? He's averaged 3 sacks a year, and that's what he had last year, he's 6'6" and over three hundred, Not Wilfork or Washington shaped...and wilfork does a pretty good job at the noes i'd say.

How many players in the league would more likely fill a Seymour role, temporarily?

I think he is shaped like Washington. Not as heavy, but he's a round mound.

I don't think he can play DE because he's immobile.

I also think he's much better than G Warren. Warren ended up on his back quite a lot late in the year. That's not going to happen to Stroud. Maybe the correct comparison is a better Keith Traylor.

I also think he's much better than G Warren. Warren ended up on his back quite a lot late in the year. That's not going to happen to Stroud. Maybe the correct comparison is a better Keith Traylor.

Captioned September 2010

Marcus-Stroud-0231

Alez+Carrington+Pittsburgh+Steelers+v+Buffalo+EFs_ZVJ7Bi3l.jpg

Last edited:
Captioned September 2010

Marcus-Stroud-0231

Alez+Carrington+Pittsburgh+Steelers+v+Buffalo+EFs_ZVJ7Bi3l.jpg

Thnx for the pic. He looks slimmer with Buffalo. Remember, he ate his way out of Jax. He was up in the 330s from his rookie weight of 321. He looks like he's at 305 in that pic. It wasn't only the injuries and roids that did him in, but the weight.

Regardless, Stroud used to be known as a DT who could move well laterally, and even though he's slimmer, my eye tells me those days are over.

66 300 isn't round mound. If he was 6-1/6-2 i would agree.

Thnx for the pic. He looks slimmer with Buffalo. Remember, he ate his way out of Jax. He was up in the 330s from his rookie weight of 321. He looks like he's at 305 in that pic. It wasn't only the injuries and roids that did him in, but the weight.

Regardless, Stroud used to be known as a DT who could move well laterally, and even though he's slimmer, my eye tells me those days are over.

He was bigger in Jax, you're right. I just happened to be looking for some youtube footage (not really succesfully) and noticed he looked pretty svelte at Buffalo.

Don't get me wromg, i haven't witnessed his current state of agility since we've rolled Buffalo and haven't needed to pass long, but if he lost weight to compete better when older that's a pretty good sign in a lot of ways (attitude). His age makes you wonder, but he's such a physical clone of Seymour, and a former all pro, why not plug him in until we get a young guy?

Anybody know how many snaps he took last year?

The real question is can he give 15-20 very high quality plays vs output in the 50-70 range. It seems G Warren would be the better backup nose tackle, if he's retained.

You must have Stroud confused with someone else.

Anybody know how many snaps he took last year?

The real question is can he give 15-20 very high quality plays vs output in the 50-70 range. It seems G Warren would be the better backup nose tackle, if he's retained.

The same G Warren that can't stop the run?

Leave it to you to miss the ole' "backup" concept.

Leave it to you to miss the whole "Nose tackle = point man against the run in the two gapping 3-4 defense" concept.

Last edited:
You must have Stroud confused with someone else.

I don't. I've actually been following his career since high school. He was 30+ heavier at the end with Jax. He came into the league at 321.

I don't. I've actually been following his career since high school. He was 30+ heavier at the end with Jax. He came into the league at 321.
Then you need some glasses, because his body looks nothing like Ted Washington. Much closer to Seymour than Washington. Very similar body to Ty Warren.

Last edited:
He better be able to play if he's getting 1.2 million.

Leave it to you to miss the whole "Nose tackle = point man against the run in the two gapping 3-4 defense" concept.

Gotta love the 2+2= huh? guy.

Uhhhh the point is the number of plays.

Is G Warren or Stroud effective in a role if they take 15 vs 55 or 65 snaps?

Since Warren probably played alot more than planned, a normal person would try to determine effectiveness if the play requirement was much less than that of 2010.

Gotta love the 2+2= huh? guy.

Uhhhh the point is the number of plays.

Is G Warren or Stroud effective in a role if they take 15 vs 55 or 65 snaps?

Since Warren probably played alot more than planned, a normal person would try to determine effectiveness if the play requirement was much less than that of 2010.

Had you talked about situational football and been arguing Warren based upon pass rush, you'd have at least had a point. As backup for NT, though? You must have missed Warren trying to stop the run for the entirety of his career, and it has nothing to do with Stroud. Stroud's decline over the past couple of seasons has included a significant decline against the run, so I'm certainly not pimping him.

Number of plays is meaningless. G. Warren is a liability against the run, on any snap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back