PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign CB EJ Biggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on how low his card is in Madden 16, I'm not getting my hopes up...

Look out moneyball, I'm creating a new system to create a championship team...Madden card ratings!!!

Butler
Roberts
Ryan
Coleman (slot)

Biggers, 6th-7th rounders, and UDFAs battling it our for 1-2 depth spots.

I really like this CB group. Roberts has a chance to be the 2016 version of Dion Lewis & Ryan proved to be a capable CB2 anyway. Coleman was one of the best rookie CBs and looked like a strong option in the slot.

I've seen mocks with 2nd-3rd round CBs but I hope that is not the case.

Man, I respectfully disagree on that one. I sure hope those two second-rounders include one CB (Jackson III, Burns, Howard?). Coleman was OK, but I did not want to see him starting. The Pats were dramatically fortunate that Butler and Ryan didn't miss any time. Roberts? I guess he has done nothing wrong, but he didn't seem to be challenging the starters much in training camp. I see him as a lottery ticket. Coleman and Roberts both weighed in around 185 pounds in the draft, and the concern was they could not handle an NFL season.

Nothing to get too excited about with this signing, or any other remaining free agent options. I hope CB (and RB) is solved early in the draft.

I'm not saying Biggers is going to be successful here, but Bradley Fletcher didn't run a 4.3.

Chimdi Chekwa did :)
Darius Butler did.
Jonathan Wilhoite did.
Terrence Wheatley did.

Malcolm Butler did not.
Logan Ryan did not.
Darrelle Revis did, but before blowing out his knee and probably did not after.
Richard Sherman certainly did not.
Asante Samuel did not. Ty Law did not.

Darius Butler did.
Jonathan Wilhoite did.
Terrence Wheatley did.

Malcolm Butler did not.
Logan Ryan did not.
Darrelle Revis did, but before blowing out his knee and probably did not after.
Richard Sherman certainly did not.
Asante Samuel did not. Ty Law did not.
I was merely pointing out a major difference between the two. I explicitly stated that I wasn't predicting Biggers would be successful here. Speed isn't the be-all end-all for a CB, but it certainly helps.

Weally?

I have a gweat fweind in Wome named Biggus....

Sowwy, wong weference...

Yeah, well, he pways OK, but the pwobwem is his wife. Weal pwobwem.
You know her - always on twitter.
Incontinentia.
Incontinentia. Buttocks.

This does not move the needle for me, definitely shouldn't change the draft/FA priority at cornerback.

Say the name to Eagles fans and they get flashbacks. The guy is absolutely putrid.

Say the name of any 2015 Eagles CB and those fans get flashbacks. That was a bottom 5 pass defense. But it would be like eagles fans to pin the season failures on their #4 CB

Roberts? I guess he has done nothing wrong, but he didn't seem to be challenging the starters much in training camp.

Your concern about Roberts' ability to withstand a full NFL season is valid since he ended up on IR 1 out of 1 years so far, but he practically was a starter at the time of his injury. Ras-IR Dowling was also a day 1 rookie starter but fell off after injuries, so hopefully Roberts can succeed where Ras-IR failed.

I do agree that the depth is not as good as we think it is due to the health of Butler and Ryan last year, and Roberts sinking or swimming will definitely go a long way in determining how good the 2016 secondary is.

Looks like 3 needs have been taken care of with this signing:

1. Shutdown corner - we now have EJ Biggers
2. Outside threat wr - whoever goes against him in practice will improve possibly to 07 Moss levels being that battle tested.
3. OG - jackson and mason will be so motivated by biggers' presense they turn into all pros.

So i guess we can focus on rb in the draft.

19-0!

Your concern about Roberts' ability to withstand a full NFL season is valid since he ended up on IR 1 out of 1 years so far, but he practically was a starter at the time of his injury. Ras-IR Dowling was also a day 1 rookie starter but fell off after injuries, so hopefully Roberts can succeed where Ras-IR failed.

I do agree that the depth is not as good as we think it is due to the health of Butler and Ryan last year, and Roberts sinking or swimming will definitely go a long way in determining how good the 2016 secondary is.

Practically a starter? Did Roberts even play a pre-season game? Please list all the defensive rookies who spent their rookie year on IR and then were a major contributor for eh patriots. Have we ever had any?

Roberts could make the team. He could even be a major contributor. But counting on him being the first is not reasonable.

Practically a starter? Did Roberts even play a pre-season game?
He played and started with the #1 defense in the first preseason game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST