PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots shopping Ben Watson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. Too much of an asset. Why cut him when you can get something for him?
Not to mention, he's our best TE right now. Let's see Baker and Smith put on a uniform before dumping Watson.

Not to mention, he's our best TE right now. Let's see Baker and Smith put on a uniform before dumping Watson.

Wisdom. Neither of those guys can replicate his speed. Watson made improvements last year and now will have Brady passing him the ball.

Wendy is a waste of space, imo.

i'll shed no tears if this draft-bust is sent packing. every year he disappointed us instead of turning the corner and playing like a first-rounder. if he's expecting to cash in on a lucrative new contract, i'll laugh my &$% off.

Wisdom. Neither of those guys can replicate his speed. Watson made improvements last year and now will have Brady passing him the ball.

Wendy is a waste of space, imo.

i did love the idea of passing watson the ball (once a upon a time), but he doesn't have naturally soft hands. if a pass is thrown to Kevin faulk, I am super confident that Faulk catches it (and no matter how bad a throw it is). But with Watson, that throw has to be perfect, and even then it's a struggle every time.

I just have little confidence in throwing him the ball. he can't be relied upon. And a player that can't be relied upon isn't very worthy of being thrown the ball in the first place.

I just have little confidence in throwing him the ball. he can't be relied upon. And a player that can't be relied upon isn't very worthy of being thrown the ball in the first place.

You ought to send the team a memo. He was tied for second in offensive participation...

Offensive participation for 2008 season - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

# WR Randy Moss -- 969 of 1102 snaps (88 percent)
# WR Wes Welker -- 838 of 1102 (76 percent)
# TE Benjamin Watson -- 837 of 1102 (76 percent)
# WR Jabar Gaffney -- 730 of 1102 (66 percent)
# RB Kevin Faulk -- 479 of 1102 (43 percent)
# TE David Thomas -- 456 of 1102 (41 percent)
# RB Sammy Morris -- 318 of 1102 (29 percent)
# FB Heath Evans -- 213 of 1102 (19 percent)
# WR Sam Aiken -- 143 of 1102 (13 percent)
# RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis -- 133 of 1102 (12 percent)
# RB LaMont Jordan -- 118 of 1102 (11 percent)
# TE/FB Russ Hochstein -- 99 of 1102 (9 percent)
# RB Laurence Maroney -- 55 of 1102 (5 percent)
# TE Mike Vrabel -- 29 of 1102 (3 percent)
# TE Stephen Spach -- 21 of 1102 (2 percent)
# TE Tyson DeVree -- 14 of 1102 (1 percent)
# WR Matthew Slater -- 14 of 1102 (1 percent)
# WR Kelley Washington -- 12 of 1102 (1 percent)
# WR Ray Ventrone -- 7 of 1102 (1 percent)
# TE Mark LeVoir -- 2 of 1102 (strictly at TE, doesn't include OL play)

you guys are hating on thomas too much...

thomas's greatest play is the diving TD agasint the jaguars 2 years ago...

it was a catch watson cannot even dream of doing, and if it werent for his injury last year im extremely confident it would have been thomas who was first on teh TE depth chart last season

i had rather trade watson, he makes too mistakes for my liking, and lets stop harassing thomas for that play, it was not that bad of a penalty

you guys are hating on thomas too much...

thomas's greatest play is the diving TD agasint the jaguars 2 years ago...

it was a catch watson cannot even dream of doing, and if it werent for his injury last year im extremely confident it would have been thomas who was first on teh TE depth chart last season

i had rather trade watson, he makes too mistakes for my liking, and lets stop harassing thomas for that play, it was not that bad of a penalty

Dude all but disappeared from the field after that play. You really think he'd have been first on DC somehow? Dunno, man. I think he's a tweaker.

Exactly this is pure speculation...lets just see how this plays out we have six TEs on the roster right now two locks, two starters from last year, and two guys that probably won't make the roster.

They aren't cutting Watson.

Like others, I'd cut Thomas if we had to rid ourselves of a TE but I would think there would be a decent market for Watson.

It would be a surprise if Watson got cut in camp but if you look at the numbers, he's the only cut at TE who would free cap space - about 500k and there is defintiely competition for playing time at TE this year.

Money won't matter if he is the best TE in camp and is going to be the starter. If probably wouldn't matter if he was clearly one of the top 2. If it got to the point where the #2 TE spot was a toss up between Watson and one of the other guys, Watson's cap savings could come into play.

Not to mention, he's our best TE right now.

i agree: also in my opinion Ben Watson is our best TE and i would love a great 2009 season from him with us

Though I don't want to see Watson go, I am beginning to wonder if he would just be a better fit with another team. He just doesn't seem to be hitting his stride in NE. He all but disappeared down the stretch in 2007 and was a non-factor for most of last season. He has incredible physical gifts and seems to be a smart player, but NE just doesn't seem to be the system for him.

Though I don't want to see Watson go, I am beginning to wonder if he would just be a better fit with another team. He just doesn't seem to be hitting his stride in NE. He all but disappeared down the stretch in 2007 and was a non-factor for most of last season. He has incredible physical gifts and seems to be a smart player, but NE just doesn't seem to be the system for him.

If you're a receiving tight end who can't catch, the right system for you hasn't been developed yet.

I hate him too. Still, we have to consider the dead cap space his trading/cutting will cost. We could keep him, cut Thomas, and end up wth a conditional 4th for him if we keep him and use him a good amount in '09.

Please Pioli!! Watson and a Pats 4th next year for a KC 3rd and 6th.

Ben Watson, great potential unfulfilled.

i agree: also in my opinion Ben Watson is our best TE and i would love a great 2009 season from him with us

I was expecting a better season from Watson this yr too. I think he's pretty much a lock to be one of 3 TE's this yr. I was happy with the addition of Baker, along with Watson and Thomas returning. I'm just not ready to give up on either Watson or Thomas quite yet. The trade for Alex Smith could be for added competition, which we're all surely for. I think they should at least bring the top 4 into camp, and see if Smith can overtake someone first.

Because maybe he'll play a lot harder.

Watson's best year of play is easily worth more than the 5th rounder we'll get in compensation, and then if he signs elsewhere we'll get a 5th round compensatory pick anyway.

I'm not a fan of trading players in their last year simply because you lose out on the play of their contract year, unless you can get a first day pick for them.

good post... contract years are usually the players best years (gee, I wonder why?).

Watson with his speed and size could have been a one trick pony as in STs because I think he has the intangibles to excel there ... as a TE? Not so much,He just does not have the hands

Last edited:
I'm just not ready to give up on either Watson or Thomas quite yet.

this is what i feel too: expecially for Watson i hope he will have another chance

and, still, i never forgot and i will never forget his awesome play in our DEN loss...still unbelievible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye