PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Kevin O'Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a really good point about Cassel's attitude/work ethic, and probably the difference in why he got to stick around and KOC didn't. Like you said, we may never know the true story.

True, and there's also their relative costs. Cassel got paid $525k in 2008, vs. $1.28M for O'Connell in 2009. It's easier to justify keeping a developmental project around at Cassel's price than O'Connell's, although I also think that mayoclinic's right on as well- they kept Cassel because he showed them something, and they cut O'Connell because he didn't. Their salaries may have moved the bar a bit, but the work ethic and improvement that one demonstrated and the other didn't would pretty much have to be *the* reason.

Re: Koc released!

Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson

At least they lasted for 3 years or more in Bethel's case. They saw enough of Bethel and Chad to hope they would come around and kept them for at least 3 full preseason (they kept Bethel for 4 full seasons). In KOC's case, they saw enough that they knew he'd be useless to them in 1.5 preseason. Being that he's a 3rd round pick, that's pretty epic.

I love the fact that BB doesn't BS around and if he knows you are useless to him, he doesn't care if you're a high round draft choice or a UFA, you're out the door.

Well, this confirms what some of us thought. Which is that the OC kinda sucks. What a waste of a 3rd round pick. Some questioned investing such a high pick on a QB, when it was taken, since we had a 30/31 year old HOF under center. I'm curious if there were any good players drafted after the OC was.

Where does it say I reported this anywhere?,my first sentence if you had the brain bigger than the size of a pea, you would see that there was no 'report' nor did I mention a report but was my statement that it was IMO a good possibility if you had the intelligence to read between the lines but obviously lack the skills.

Another loudmouth punk dressed up as an internet tough guy,pathetic :rolleyes:

And if you don't like what I post I have 3 letters for you... G-F-Y

Enough - both of you - let's stay on topic please and stop the personal insults. :idontgetit:

Last edited:
you're right on about Gannon......didn't the pats want to make him a wr or h-back or some such nonsense?

Most teams try to move athletic QBs to safety, since they run the d-back coverages.

Cassel played S in high school, from what I recall.

Last edited:
You need to think. The Pats had 4 QBs in camp. When Brady went down, they only had 3 on the roster and they were left with 2 healthy ones.. They NEEDED to add another and they added Gutierrez who knew the system, somewhat.

O'Connell wasn't the "1st back-up." That position was vacant and the Pats brought in Walter to challenge O'Connell for the position. O'Connell didn't step up his game. And yes, I am surprised that the Pats cut him now.. Usually, it takes more than a year for a QB to develop before you give up on him.. O'Connell must have done something to upset Belichick or the coaching staff..

What exactly is your point? You disagree with my conclusion, but you agree with my premise?

QB12

Why would he sign with our practice squad? If some team cut me and tossed my nice salary into the toilet, you think I'd help them out by agreeing to practice with them for $5000 a week? I'd sign with anyone else BUT them.

Space - No offense, but that line of thinking is a crock of sh!t. If it was even remotely true, the Pats would never be able to sign their own players back. And they do it all the time.

Fact is that, many times, the Pats pay their PS better than is required. Hoyer got a 16K signing bonus. Pretty good for a UDFA to come in and show what he has for 3 months. And its more than the 7.6K that the rest of the team got for their workout bonus...

The really astonishing thing to contemplate is that O'Connell was the #1 backup all of last season -- and they didn't bring in any vet QBs in the offseason. As of the start of camp, it looked like they had plenty of confidence in him. That changed in a hurry.

I wonder too what was impeding his development. As a draft choice he had zero character question marks -- 4-year captain, super smart, acclaimed for his leadership skills. Yet he didn't show any progress that a fan could see, in camp or preseason. Not only was he making poor decisions, but his mechanics totally fell apart under any pressure.

Just read that Damon Huard is on the trading block...

I find it very amusing that some people are blaming Pioli and McDaniels for some of the terrible draft picks when everyone knows Bill has the final say on everything.

When it comes to drafting players, it was a 50/50 split with Belichick and Pioli. And they took the recommendations of their coaches very seriously. The only way a player made their draft board is if both Belichick and Pioli agreed on the player. So, clearly BOTH of them saw something. And they got a glowing review from McDaniels as well..

BB may have been the person to write the name on the card and send it it, but Pioli and McDaniels both factored into the decision and its ignorant to think otherwise.

Not the first time BB cut a 2nd year 3rd round pick, didn't he did it before with Guss Scott in 2005?

Guss Scott was waived by the Pats in 2006.

I heard Jeff George wants to come back!

On a serious note, they should sniff around on AJ Feeley. He's killed the Pats in the past and I'm sure BB is well aware of this.

On another note, this is a vote of confidence in Brady's health. If he was really injured, I don't think they would have gotten rid of KOC so fast given that he knows the system more than anyone else besides Brady.

Also, you can't grade this draft class yet. Crable and Wheatley have been hampered by injuries and they can still come around. We already have two defensive starters (Mayo and Guyton), another emerging starter (Wilhite) and I still believe Wheatley will eventually be a solid contributer. Crable, I am still optimistic, but maybe that's just more wishful thinking. Overall, getting 3 defensive starters and 1 more solid contributer is a good draft class.

You are NOT missing anything. Not ONE team in the league was willing to offer a 7th for O'Connell.

MG - How do you know this? Did you ask Belichick? How do you know that Belichick didn't do this to light a fire under O'Connell's arse the way Belichick did with Patrick Pass the one year...

Don't assume that the Patriots tried to trade O'Connell prior to cutting him. They may not have because they may want to bring him back if he gets his head together.

Hey box - thanks for trying to help but I'm too computer illeterate to post a picture to the board

Where is a 7 year old when you need one?

Hit the quote button and go to the postcard icon(postcard of mountains and stamp. Click on it and insert the url of the photo and type your postings.hit submit and you;re on your way...

I wonder too what was impeding his development. As a draft choice he had zero character question marks -- 4-year captain, super smart, acclaimed for his leadership skills. Yet he didn't show any progress that a fan could see, in camp or preseason. Not only was he making poor decisions, but his mechanics totally fell apart under any pressure.

Well, you're in the draft subforum regularly... wasn't that the knock on him coming out? His mechanics were bad at the best of times and then he completely winged it with his athleticism under pressure?

Maybe the Pats figured they could mold his mechanics so they'd be natural under pressure, and he'd eventually adjust to the speed of the game, and neither happened between years 1 and 2.

True, and there's also their relative costs. Cassel got paid $525k in 2008, vs. $1.28M for O'Connell in 2009.

Where did you get that number for KOC?? O'Connell's contract was a four-year deal, with a $760,500 signing bonus. The base salary for 2009 was 385K. (according to Miguel)

Last edited:
Well, you're in the draft subforum regularly... wasn't that the knock on him coming out? His mechanics were bad at the best of times and then he completely winged it with his athleticism under pressure?

Maybe the Pats figured they could mold his mechanics so they'd be natural under pressure, and he'd eventually adjust to the speed of the game, and neither happened between years 1 and 2.

Yep, he had terrible mechanics and made a lot of plays with his feet in college. BUT, that's not unexpected for a tremendous athlete playing for a lousy team with a notorious swiss-cheese OL and weak coaching. He impressed the heck out of scouts in the Hula Bowl, Combine and pro day. Combined with his smarts and leadership he looked like a solid developmental pick with huge upside.

That said, it's never surprising when a 3rd-round QB fails to pan out. (It's not like any of the QBs selected after KOC have impressed either.) It's just surprising he was cut so soon. It was mighty early to give up hope, which does suggest that he had failed to impress in other ways.

The Eagles need a TE. Ben Watson (last year of contract anyway) for Feeley anybody?
DW Toys

Why trade for Feeley when you can get him for free? Or are you always in a habit of pis$ing away good players just because you don't like them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents