PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Kevin O'Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe what we're trying to achieve here is this..

carmella-decesare-nude-photo.jpg

Re: Koc released!

Hey box - thanks for trying to help but I'm too computer illeterate to post a picture to the board

Where is a 7 year old when you need one?

:rolleyes:
I never mentioned there was any source..pure speculation and guess pal,nothing more

I watched a few Gators games and Tebow seems to me to be the type of player BB could use....The draft is a long way off yet,everyone has their Binky - He will be mine becaus ewe vertainly will be looking at QBs next year in the draft early or late but for sure.[/quote

yiou're backpeddling,skippy.You "reported" that there already had been discussions about the Patriots drafting Tim Tebow.
If these "discussions" exist only between your left brain and your right ball........please keep them to yourself,,they don't enhance the "actual" football talk on this board.

Where does it say I reported this anywhere?,my first sentence if you had the brain bigger than the size of a pea, you would see that there was no 'report' nor did I mention a report but was my statement that it was IMO a good possibility if you had the intelligence to read between the lines but obviously lack the skills.

Another loudmouth punk dressed up as an internet tough guy,pathetic :rolleyes:

And if you don't like what I post I have 3 letters for you... G-F-Y

Last edited:

Hey box - thanks for trying to help but I'm too computer illeterate to post a picture to the board

Where is a 7 year old when you need one?
I'm lucky my cat is about that age.

Geez, Can't you guys see anything? Your analysis was terrible regarding Cassel last preseason, and your analysis sucks now.:eek:

The Pats have found a keeper a QB and needed a roster spot to groom him. Brian Hoyer has the look of a true find.:D

i agree that his arm, at present, is only average NFL quality, but QB is played between the ears. He has POISE and smarts. KOC like Gutierrez doesn't. Hoyer can spend an off season with Woichick, like a spindly kid named Brady did, and his arm will be more than sufficient. But you can't teach POISE and being able to throw to the correct man. While also throwing to him with accuracy. End of Story.

It seems that all the Pats QBs have had mixed and trying experiences in their histories, that made them adapt, and grow. Its how you respond to that, that counts. KOC decided to run first, and they can't break him of the habit. Did you see what he did at the end of game two? With time running out, he scrambled and then, he didn't get out of bounds. Time ran out when he had enough time for two throws to get fifteen yards to allow a Ghost FG attempt. D-U-M-B and dumber. Plus his short accuracy is terrible.

Brady had to look over his shoulder at the baseball playing QB, constantly, in college. Andrews had to bear the Raiders, and then the Great Black Hope, for his first couple of pro seasons. Hoyer had to play with minimal talent at Michigan State, and adjust the best he could. They all look the better for the experiences.

Right now, Hoyer is the same size and has an arm equal to Sanchez the first rounder of the JEST, physically. Its much better than Pennington's arm, yet Penny won 11 games last season. Hoyer will be something in a few years of pro grooming. Look at how POISED he was playing in the previous two games, while a raw rookie. :D

Meanwhile Andrews is a mature substitute and second stringer. I don't know if he will ever be a pro starter, but he has every tool in the book physically, except a some what slower dropback. He seems to throw to the right target consistently. His accuracy is fairly good, much better than KOC. I haven't seen the pin-point accuracy that Brady or Peyton does, to the exact mid-stride and the correct shoulder, high or low, to avoid the INT and promote YAC, but I haven't seen enough to give a final grade. I did see that at least once though.:)

Best of all, KOC reinforces to all the players that the best players will be kept; and past reps or draft position has no effect, first rounder or UDFA.:singing:

I wonder what that bodes for Tedy... :(

Should have drafted Chad Henne; Bill!

How could they have drafted Henne? Henne was a 2nd round pick. O'Connell was a third round pick.. Did you stop to think before you posted?

Don't worry guys, he was our backup qb, he wasn't gonna play for the next 6-8 years anyway.

Last edited:
Tim Tebow has already entered the draft discussions for the Patriots in 2010 - I think with BBs buddy the Florida HC down there, he probably knows everything about him. - Tebow will probably be a 2nd rounder possibly 3rd depending on his performance this year for the #1 ranked Gators

And I don't want him even as a UDFA. Anymore than Joe Kapp, or Mike Vick, of who he reminds me, very much. His talents and "game" is very similar.

Besides we don't need him.

Wow, I'm kind of surprised that they released him so fast. I thought that he would have made it to the final cut down.

Excellent getting figures on Feeley's contract.....Even MORE excellent,getting the lowdown on Heather Mitts!......Kudos!

Does anyone realize that Heather Mitts plays for the Boston Breakers? Would AJ Feeley want to come to Boston??

I am surprised by this move on a couple of fronts:

1. 3rd rounders don't get released on the basis of a couple of bad preseason games. O'Connell must have looked very poor in practice, had trouble digesting the Patriots playbook, or had an off the field issue.

2. Not being able to get a pick from Denver for O'Connell. McDaniels worked out O'Connell before the draft and loved him and I'd think he'd want him in Denver for the price of a 7th rounder in 2010 or 2011. I may be completely wrong, but I think the lack of interest of Denver signals that O'Connell wasn't very impressive in practice last year either. If that hypothesis is correct, I have to wonder why the Patriots didn't go after another QB option when they failed to land Patrick Ramsey.

They did! They fleeced da Raiders, and senile Al, once again!! :D:D

Wrong. Means we don't need to carry an extra backup QB when the roster spot can be better used on a different position.

Does anyone seriously think that when your starter is down and in danger of not playing, you cut the first backup? Come on, think. When Brady went down last year, they added a backup, in Gutierrez - they didn't cut one as they're doing now. Brady's fine.

QB12

You need to think. The Pats had 4 QBs in camp. When Brady went down, they only had 3 on the roster and they were left with 2 healthy ones.. They NEEDED to add another and they added Gutierrez who knew the system, somewhat.

O'Connell wasn't the "1st back-up." That position was vacant and the Pats brought in Walter to challenge O'Connell for the position. O'Connell didn't step up his game. And yes, I am surprised that the Pats cut him now.. Usually, it takes more than a year for a QB to develop before you give up on him.. O'Connell must have done something to upset Belichick or the coaching staff..

i agree that his arm, at present, is only average NFL quality, but QB is played between the ears.

:agree:

One play does not get a player cut in New England (not even Doug Gabriel).

Again, we don't know yet what it was they didn't like, but clearly there was something that they felt meant it was worth cutting bait and taking the $470K cap hit versus giving him more time.

This was a bit surprising. I know KOC has struggled, but it's only his second year. Most QBs take a few years to develop. Drew Brees struggled for 3 years before making a huge mark in year 4.

BB knows this too, so there must be something more to this. KOC worked out of the shotgun in college, and he needed to develop his footwork and timing under center, but he never seemed comfortable. And he didn't really get much better from last year to this year.

Judging by KOC's big smile on the sidelines after that last game, I'm guessing he lacked the passion BB wanted in a QB. Or maybe the work ethic sucked, judging by the lack of progress. Just speculating, but I think it must have been something mental/psychological that made BB give up so quickly.

The more I think about it, the more I'm certain that it was more than just the on field results.

Matt Cassel was famous (long before he produced any results) for the way he took his role as Brady's understudy - hanging out with Brady, studying film of Brady, mimicking Brady's mannerisms as well as his mechanisms. I think that Cassel's work ethic may well have bought him some time when he wasn't producing on-field results and many were convinced he never would.

I'm not sure what it was with O'Connell, but I can't see BB giving up on someone taken that high without working with him for more than a season and giving him some time - especially at QB, a position notorious for taking time for young talent to develop - unless something else was going on. It may have been as little as a lackadaisical attitude, not working hard enough, taking bad results nonchalantly, or something like that. But something clearly sent a big red flag to BB that O'Connell did not have what he thinks it takes, and he dropped O'Connell like a hot potato. We may never know the true story.

O'Connell will be picked up right away because he was a #3

draft pick. The trouble is Andrew Walter is the alternative.

He hasn't been a ball of fire either. I suspect that he will

play all of this week's game.

Those forum members who praise Scott Pioli to the skies and

bemoan his loss should revisit the 2008 draft. The three choices

after Mayo (Wheatley, Crable, O'Connell) have been quite

disappointing so far. There was no Welker or Moss trade to

offset poor draft picks.

Pretty foolish to be saying that Wheatley and Crable are disappointments when they haven't even played a full season. And its utterly STUPID to get down on a player because they suffer a catastrophic injury like Wheatley did last year.

Oh.. btw, Wilhite and Slater both want to remind you that they were part of that draft also..

I don't know, it seems to me that when it comes to QB's, they either got it or they don't. The good ones usually show you something that indicates they have promise by the end of their first and especially their second year. The "busts" don't. Both Brady and Cassel left positive impressions early on. I don't recall ever hearing anything positive about KOC. I was hoping that there were positive things taking place beyond the view of us fans but apparently not. If the guy isn't panning out, then I credit the teams that are willing to cut their losses and move on.
Rich Gannon

The more I think about it, the more I'm certain that it was more than just the on field results.

Matt Cassel was famous (long before he produced any results) for the way he took his role as Brady's understudy - hanging out with Brady, studying film of Brady, mimicking Brady's mannerisms as well as his mechanisms. I think that Cassel's work ethic may well have bought him some time when he wasn't producing on-field results and many were convinced he never would.

I'm not sure what it was with O'Connell, but I can't see BB giving up on someone taken that high without working with him for more than a season and giving him some time - especially at QB, a position notorious for taking time for young talent to develop - unless something else was going on. It may have been as little as a lackadaisical attitude, not working hard enough, taking bad results nonchalantly, or something like that. But something clearly sent a big red flag to BB that O'Connell did not have what he thinks it takes, and he dropped O'Connell like a hot potato. We may never know the true story.

That's a really good point about Cassel's attitude/work ethic, and probably the difference in why he got to stick around and KOC didn't. Like you said, we may never know the true story.

If there never was a problem with KOC no one would have needed to challenge him .... who did BB bring in to realistically challenge cassel?

I'm surprised, for sure, but I guess it makes sense. If he's not good, not improving, and not going to improve, then he's worthless. Once you pick someone, their draft round is a sunk cost- you can only evaluate the guy on what he can offer moving forward, relative to his cost. Clearly, Belichick didn't see any value in him.

How many people think that AJ Feeley is such a hot commodity that the Pats need to trade for him. Feeley doesn't have to clear waivers. In all likelihood he's going to be cut because I can't see Philly keeping 3 QBs and Vick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents