PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Release Dominique Easley

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just sucks. Not sure what else can be said. One of the biggest first round busts in recent memory, the only worse ones in terms of time lasted on the team I can remember are A.J. Jenkins and Trent Richardson. And even Richardson had perceived value for a little while longer.

His sister suffers from Fibromyalgia and it runs in families. Something to think about.

This just sucks. Not sure what else can be said. One of the biggest first round busts in recent memory, the only worse ones in terms of time lasted on the team I can remember are A.J. Jenkins and Trent Richardson. And even Richardson had perceived value for a little while longer.
Easley's career isn't over. Just in NE.

Like I mentioned in a different thread..... Easley looks like Ras-I Dowling 2.0

Damn shane too, good luck, Dominique

Don't double down on your earlier folly.
I stand by what I wrote, I don't consider him to be a bust because it was well understood at the time he was drafted this outcome was quite possible due to his injury history. If he got on the field and was useless I would be fine with calling him a bust.

To everyone saying this was a terrible, horrible, no-good-for-nothing, very bad draft pick, let's remember this was a boom-or-bust pick at the very end of the first round. The Patriots gambled on getting a top-5/top-10 talent with the knowledge he had a high bust likelihood due to injuries. It's risk-reward, and it didn't work out; hindsight is great. Seattle was reportedly furious the Patriots picked Easley, as they were going to pick him as well.

These are the types of risks you need to take when you don't have access to obvious, premium talent in the first half of the first round of the draft.

Not much different from the Ras-I Dowling situation.

Don't double down on your earlier folly. Everyone knew it was a possibility at the time (Hell, I wanted Stephon Tuitt, and made that abundantly clear), and that's completely irrelevant. Easley was the pick. The pick went bust.

If you insist on staying on the crazy train, go ride it with someone else.

I'll mark myself down as an Easley fanboy; this one is really hurting me. Viewed him as Aaron Donald with a major injury red flag, thought he would have been a great 2nd round pick but wasn't sure if he would be available then. Was shocked that the Pats took him at 29.

Talked myself into it when I learned the Seahawks were interested in him at 32. That said, I knew he was still a risk and part of me said maybe we should just let the Seattle take that risk instead. And then yet another part of me said that everything Seattle touched had turned to gold at that point, so if they wanted him in the first then it was ok for the Pats to want him in the 1st.

And Easley really did flash when he played this year, too. His absence was very noticeable in the Jets game I went to midseason.

But at the end of the day, I was wrong. He's a bust. Having a very hard time coming to terms with that! So frustrating....

Today's Boston sports news:

Easley cut
Sandoval to the DL
Julien and Sweeney to both take part in a press conference tomorrow

Busy day for reading between the lines...

Panda Wok has got to be heading to a fat farm.

If we think about current personnel, I'm not sure if a 3-4 makes any sense. After all, Easley was probably a player suited for a 3-4 DE role, and now his replacement would be Markus Kuhn (backup caliber) or Chris Long (unsuited).

3-4

NT: Knighton, Branch, Kitchen
DE: Brown, Kuhn, Jones, Vellano, Johnson
OLB: Sheard, Ninkovich, McClellin, Grissom, Flowers
ILB: Hightower, Freeny, Bostic
?: Long, Collins

Long is probably stout enough to play some DE, but would make the most sense at OLB, while Collins could conceivably play either ILB or OLB or even function as a sort of roving player in a 3-3-5.

4-3

NT: Knighton, Branch, Kitchen
UT: Brown, Kuhn, Jones, Vellano
DE: Sheard, Ninkovich, Long, Grissom, Flowers, Johnson
OLB: Hightower, Collins
MLB: Freeny, McClellin, Bostic

Given that Sheard, Ninkovich, and Long all make more sense playing with their hands on the ground and Grissom and Flowers were mid-round picks last season and appear to be better suited for a 4-3, the current personnel is better off in a 4-3 unless there's a ton of draft capital expended on 3-4 players this year.

He shouldn't have been dunking that basketball.
On a serious note, HUGE surprise. Just a shocker! We'll know more eventually but I was looking forward to him terrorizing QB's for a few years to come.
I guess he's on to Seattle, who wanted him bad that draft.

I'll mark myself down as an Easley fanboy; this one is really hurting me. Viewed him as Aaron Donald with a major injury red flag, thought he would have been a great 2nd round pick but wasn't sure if he would be available then. Was shocked that the Pats took him at 29.

Talked myself into it when I learned the Seahawks were interested in him at 32. That said, I knew he was still a risk and part of me said maybe we should just let the Seattle take that risk instead. And then yet another part of me said that everything Seattle touched had turned to gold at that point, so if they wanted him in the first then it was ok for the Pats to want him in the 1st.

And Easley really did flash when he played this year, too. His absence was very noticeable in the Jets game I went to midseason.

But at the end of the day, I was wrong. He's a bust. Having a very hard time coming to terms with that! So frustrating....

Based on the early reports, he might still work out elsewhere. He may be one of the occasional players who just needs a different system.

Today's Boston sports news:

Easley cut
Sandoval to the DL
Julien and Sweeney to both take part in a press conference tomorrow

Busy day for reading between the lines...
lol what a horrible signing Panda was. It's hilarious that SI tried to claim the Red Sox were a money ball team :oops:.

nfl_i_vgholston1_300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore