PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Release Dominique Easley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, and my point is that once you hit the pro game your college ranking doesn't mean squat. In many cases it's a detriment because whatever environment that helped you perform against your peers in college is now gone. A "full evaluated acquisition" isn't a guarantee of success at the next level, yet so many here get so upset because someone with a specific draft ranking/rating doesn't pan out. IMHO they should understand a draft pick is nothing more than a lottery pick. The environment that allowed them to succeed in college is gone. Some thrive at the next level, others fail. I wish my college GPA guaranteed success for the rest of my life. If so I'd be goddamn rich and retired by now. Not that I'm complaining, but life just ain't that simple.

Example A: Jonathan Cooper. but he's got the right attitude, from everything I've heard, and got hit with some terrible luck out of the gate, so let's hope Scar turns him around.

--Obviously the guy's a bust for the Pats. Parsing just what a "bust" is is silly.

--Belichick never gives a second thought to how a decision will make him look--in-game decisions or personnel decisions. He makes his decision and moves on. Kudos on that, obviously.

--Agree w/the thought that it's possible he'd rather send a message than work overtime to get a late-round pick. Fine by me if true.

--It's disappointing. Guy has talent and I was hoping for big things this year. But it's a good draft for DTs, and the Pats will figure it out. Moving on.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
We're supposed to hear who claimed him soon, right?

Please don't be the Donkos.

I don't know if that is the case or not, the part on Lombardi's part in "overruling his scouts" and drafting Easley was based on a Shalise Manza Young article, and I have no clue whether or not that is correct.

The part about him having influence with the Patriots free agent pickups is because I was opining a year or so ago about what an amazing 3 year super-successful roll BB was on with his poaching of players from other clubs, and another poster (actually, I thought it was you, but I've never given you credit because I don't remember for sure) pointed out that this "roll" started about the time Lombardi came on board, and I thought "huh, that's right!". If it was you pointing that out, credit is now given. :)

.....If not, and I'm putting words in your mouth, ....ummm, never mind. :oops::D
Nope not me. I give more credit to Caserio than Lombardi.

That unfortunately does leave the Pats responsible for his ~$1 million salary...but it also says so much about how he's viewed around the league. Perhaps Volin's article came out a day too soon.

• Agree

That unfortunately does leave the Pats responsible for his ~$1 million salary...but it also says so much about how he's viewed around the league. Perhaps Volin's article came out a day too soon.

“I’m more curious about how many teams claim him than if he gets claimed,” former Eagles and Browns executive Joe Banner said on Wednesday. “This is a gift to someone.”

Joe Banner, ladies and Gentlemen!

Questioning Belichick's draft decisions is not quitting on the team.

-In spite of picking 30 more players than the Jests during the Belichick era there are only 3 or 4 more Pats' drafted players currently playing in the NFL, and one of those is Tom Brady who was drafted 16 years ago.
-The Pats have picked 20 more players than the Bills during the Belichick era but there are 10 more Bills drafted players still in the NFL.

And in the case of Easley, Belichick deserves some criticism. It was a bad pick.

Could you please provide your link to this data about the Pats only having x number of players more than the Jets and having 10 fewer than the Bills.

I got my totals for picks from Drafthistory.com. Then I printed out each teams picks and cross-referenced them against the team roster and then the NFL.com database..

Patriots - 2000-2015 - Total Picks: 144
Players still in the league: 47 players still in the league..

Jets - 2000-2015 - Total Picks - 110

Players still in the league: 43 players still in the league.

Bills - 2000-2016 - Total Picks: 132
Players still in the league: 45 * (This INCLUDES Marshawn Lynch, though I believe he's retiring)
Not sure where you get that the Bills have 10 more players still in the league than the Patriots.. Just not true. And the Pats have only picked 12 more than the Bills, not 20..

Far be it from me to defend Deus, but in this particular case, I remember him screaming for Stephan Tuitt.

he was dead right on Easley, and this is a bust pick - could have been a great pick if Easley lived up to his god-given talent. but no, in this particularly instance, Deus is right.

But we'll always have Jamie Collins for future arguments (not that he doesn't have me on ignore)...

Too bad that has nothing to do with the post you replied to..

I haven't seen it mentioned, but there was a tweet yesterday or this morning that said that besides the 1 lawsuit already for Easley, there are two more pending lawsuits.

And if he truly didn't care about football, then we can chalk this up as another one where BB should have listened to his scouts..

We're supposed to hear who claimed him soon, right?

Please don't be the Donkos.

No one claimed him.. Dude passed waivers without even a sniff..

Now that he's a FA, if he's signed by another team for any amount of money for 2016 are the Patriots still on the hook for that no matter what?

Now that he's a FA, if he's signed by another team for any amount of money for 2016 are the Patriots still on the hook for that no matter what?

Yes.. The Pats are on the hook for the guaranteed money because it's the outstanding contract.. Any new contract is just that.. A new contract.

Welp, goes unclaimed. So it really came down to nobody willing to make a deal for him, even a conditional seventh.

There is offset language, so the Pats would only be responsible for the difference.

I don't know how the timing works though, whether they get that cap room back as soon as he signs a new contract (and lose it if he's cut again), in small chunks as he earns his paycheck each week during the season, or perhaps not at all during 2016 if it is applied as a credit to their 2017 cap.

• Agree
There is offset language, so the Pats would only be responsible for the difference.

I don't know how the timing works though, whether they get that cap room back as soon as he signs a new contract (and lose it if he's cut again), in small chunks as he earns his paycheck each week during the season, or perhaps not at all during 2016 if it is applied as a credit to their 2017 cap.
Ok makes sense that was kind of the question I was having trouble finding an answer to - in this or any scenario is it possible for a guy to get paid 'salary' by two teams. For this situation it's not much - a million here, a million there I suppose.

So basically if someone signed him for $750k and he played all season (lol right), they could get a $750k credit at some point (probably offseason adjustment). Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes