PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Albert Haynesworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anderson and Ellis are JAGS in everyone's world but yours. Carter is 31 and has played above his head.

Haynesworth and Ochocinco were the alleged "big splashes", the ones people were talking about. Both have been, and I'll say it again, EPIC FAILURES and huge wastes of money.

You brought up the money part of the equation. Not every player is equal.

The one guy who is solid and gets it is Andre Carter and is worth every penny of $2.25 million cap figure. Anderson at $375k on the cap is fine for depth and Ellis at $2.75 million for one year is the biggest risk of the defensive linemen.

Haynesworth was the biggest name but the least of all at a $975k cap hit if cut. Not epic. It was worth a shot but everyone knew it was a risk. My guess is that Haynesworth was a PUP experiment while Brace and Deaderick rehabbed from surgery and Kyle Love got increasing time next to Vince. Love has worked out and Brace is back. Sayonara, Albert.

#85 at over $5 million over the life of his deal, is the biggest free agent bust and is the one everybody hopes will ultimately work out. I doubt it.

But Haynesworth being cut is not a big financial deal at all.

Last edited:
Haynsworth hasn't been doing much. I am amused at how critical folks think his 9 or 10 reps are. The reality is that he really hasn't worked out, and we now have Deaderick back. We had 17 front seven players, about two too many.

Haynesworth is a stiff, but the reality of the situation is that in his limited snaps he at least touched the QB twice, drew 4 or 5 holding calls and commanded a few double teams. Deaderick has 5 total tackles this year and hasnt sniffed a QB or drawn a penalty(to my recollection). No reason to think the production will be better, even if his effort surely will be.

GREAT MOVES BILL!!!
Its his Arrogance & Ignorance that will Be Pats & Brady's downfall!
Genius or Madman hmmm What'a thin line!

Never a dull moment. I thought he quit on the Jacobs' TD, although I'm sure there's more to it than that. Still think he can make one or two more plays per game than his replacement can, but I guess he is not worth the trouble.

Solid and swift article from Greg Bedard on Haynesworth's release:

After Giants game, Haynesworth had to go - Extra Points - Boston.com

FTA:

Interesting comments from outside the organization:

We thought about writing about Haynesworth’s struggles last night, but waited until we talked to a few NFL personnel executives to see if they came away with the same opinion.

“On the ground three-straight times and didn’t seem at all to mind!” one said. “Just stopped moving his feet on each play.”

“Those were three really bad plays,” the other said.

The bolded line is money:

Haynesworth needed to go, and sources said some Patriots players were grumbling about that, but coach Bill Belichick was already moving in that direction.

How could Belichick put Haynesworth on the field next to true pros like Vince Wilfork and Andre Carter after what happened against the Giants?

Everybody involved realized they couldn't.

Corey Dillon and Randy Moss had questionmarks about their character, but they bought into the Pats culture (for the most part with Moss...up to 2010). BB hoped he could get Haynesworth to do the same. Swing and a miss.

Regards,
Chris

I think what's most disappointing about this is that we were all hoping Haynesworth could be another Belichick success story. Had it worked out, we could have had a great D lineman and stolen him for peanuts.

Too bad.

:(

BB has already lost his mojo and now it appears he is losing his mind too :eek:

Last edited:
Belichick has ******* lost it. Even if we were to go back to the 3-4, havent we lost the two good defensive ends opposite of Wilfork?

With the injury to Spikes and Fletcher, I don't see the Pats going back to the 3-4..

As for 2 good DEs, they have Warren, Ellis, Brace, Deaderick and Love who could all line up at DE in the 3-4.. I think that Warren and Brace would be very good with Deaderick being in on passing situations..

There are a few other guys on this team who I think should be shown the door.

Haynesworth is a stiff, but the reality of the situation is that in his limited snaps he at least touched the QB twice, drew 4 or 5 holding calls and commanded a few double teams. Deaderick has 5 total tackles this year and hasnt sniffed a QB or drawn a penalty(to my recollection). No reason to think the production will be better, even if his effort surely will be.

You should try watching the games before posting. Deaderick has been back for two games and played very well against the Giants, drawing a holding penalty and getting some quality pressure. Anyway, Brace and Warren are Hayneworth's replacments, not Deaderick.

Anyone think that Andre Carter and Haynesworth simply can't survive together on one team?

Carter and Haynesworth were known in Washington to not be the best of buddies,yet Belichick signs Al anyway :rolleyes:

Umm.. Deaderick has only played in 2 games because he just came off the PUP list... And he was putting pressure on Eli yesterday..

GREAT MOVES BILL!!!
Its his Arrogance & Ignorance that will Be Pats & Brady's downfall!
Genius or Madman hmmm What'a thin line!

Arrogance and Ignorance??? WOW.. Why don't you explain both to everyone????

Deaderick will be a fine lineman given he gets more playing time like we have done with Love

Whether Brace will continue to improve if he can stay on the field will be interesting

Last edited:

Didn't Deaderick just come off the PUP list? He hasn't been on the field ALL YEAR.

The question is not "how are we going to fair without Haynesworth?" but should be "how much better are we going to be now with Deaderick and Brace."

Haynesworth, who is noted for his strength, penetration, and aggression was great in attacking offenses, waitresses, and cops. But in our defensive philosophies, he does not fit the criteria. Brace and Deaderick's pedigrees are what we need for our dominating line.

Lol, it was funny the first time you posted. The fourth, not so much.

The troll factor is high on this thread. Funny stuff..... The JEST make me laugh....
Adios, Albert!!!

Now we have no pure 3 tech DT's on this team. Though Ron Brace did play 3 tech at BC I believe.

Bedard was quick on the trigger with this one today - credit to Chris from Sunnyvale above. Vince Wilfork's comments last week about taking some of the blame for the passing defense woes was a man owning a problem. Never a word from Haynesworth.

After Giants game, Haynesworth had to go - Extra Points - Boston.com

There is no better move than to remove someone who doesn't try when managing teams. It totally motivates those remaining and is the best way to prove that effort is rewarded.

It may well be that 85 is working really hard and just hasn't gotten it yet, but Haynesworth - if Bedard is correct - took plays off and probably was the defiant jerk that got him booted out of Tennessee and Washington.

We'll see on Sunday night if this defense comes out swinging. I'll bet they do.

Umm.. Deaderick has only played in 2 games because he just came off the PUP list... And he was putting pressure on Eli yesterday..

Facts are meaningless in this.

Very simple

Low risk, high reward move

Didn't work out. can't have no effort roster spots.

Guys in line to replace

The only thing that makes this a big story is the name Haynesworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents