PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Signing DT Armon Watts

I know Bill isn’t here, I’m just saying that just because we don’t know them it doesn’t mean it’s a bad signing. I didn’t know who Takitaki was but I liked that signing as well. Finding the good unheralded players on opposing teams, and signing them to good deals is great quality in a front office.
I'll bite Ivan, those Watt brothers turned out to be pretty ok ball players... I'm in...

I know Bill isn’t here, I’m just saying that just because we don’t know them it doesn’t mean it’s a bad signing. I didn’t know who Takitaki was but I liked that signing as well. Finding the good unheralded players on opposing teams, and signing them to good deals is great quality in a front office.
As long as they pan out .. cause if they don’t then we are in the same boat …. Swing and a missssss!!

whatchatalkinabout.jpg

As long as they pan out .. cause if they don’t then we are in the same boat …. Swing and a missssss!!

Except that the deals are just average, so you don’t take the kind of hit the Titans will take if Ridley busts. And you are never going to hit on every signing, you just want to hit on as many as you can.

I don't see him as a run stuffer, the Steelers used him as a situational pass rusher on long downs.
It doesn't matter what role he plays. The D-Line needs rotational pieces and he's one.

Why people seem to think this team can be fixed in one offseason is beyond my understanding. At minimum, the Pats are a 3 year project.

The last top-of-the-market player the Patriots signed in Free Agency was Steph Gilmore. That was before the 2017 season, 7 years ago.

It doesn't matter what role he plays. The D-Line needs rotational pieces and he's one.

Why people seem to think this team can be fixed in one offseason is beyond my understanding. At minimum, the Pats are a 3 year project.
True.
But they have to get *better* in those 3 years. Running it back with dumpster trash and the same players that were ON the 4-13 team isn't improving anything, except for Bob Kraft's bottom line.

Okay, by 3 years are you saying 3 years to become a Super Bowl contender? Or to be able to make the playoffs?

I don’t agree with the second. Recent history has told us that the notion that it takes 3-4 years to rebuild into a playoff team is bs.

True.
But they have to get *better* in those 3 years. Running it back with dumpster trash and the same players that were ON the 4-13 team isn't improving anything, except for Bob Kraft's bottom line.

I'd like to see us return to becoming perennial playoffs contenders. From there, whatever will be will be.

Okay, by 3 years are you saying 3 years to become a Super Bowl contender? Or to be able to make the playoffs?

I don’t agree with the second. Recent history has told us that the notion that it takes 3-4 years to rebuild into a playoff team is bs.

You're welcome to that opinion. Until the Pats unearth their generational QB, filling in the roster with potential building blocks is all we can ask. That isn't going to happen in one offseason.

never heard of him

would have preferred to keep Lawrence Guy, if what @Ross12 says is true
Soild player, was in pitts rotation, he's a quality player excellent against the run.

I'd like to see us return to becoming perennial playoffs contenders. From there, whatever will be will be.

You're welcome to that opinion. Until the Pats unearth their generational QB, filling in the roster with potential building blocks is all we can ask. That isn't going to happen in one offseason.
I’m not saying everything will be solved in one offseason. But you can get back to playing competitive football pretty fast. No reason not to become competitive much sooner.

I’m not saying everything will be solved in one offseason. But you can get back to playing competitive football pretty fast. No reason not to become competitive much sooner.
I never said they couldn't be competitive, I said the rebuild is at minimum, a 3 year project. With better QB play, I fully expect the Pats to improve along your line of thinking.

We were 4-13 last year but 8 of the losses were by 1 score or less. Last year we were a bad and untalented team, but competitive week to week.

This year, my expectation is that we'll still be bad, but hopefully not as untalented. Hopefully we have some young guys "breakout" to varying degrees like we did with Barmore and Jennings last year. Hopefully Pop Douglas emerges as a really solid slot. Gonzalez comes back to be a true #1 CB. Keion White emerges in year 2. Bourne back from injury and hopefully looks like he did in year 1 here. Strange and/or Sow emerge as locked in, full time players. That type of thing. And then hopefully we nail multiple picks in the draft. Again, we'll still be pretty bad (picking top 5-10), but hopefully still competitive week to week and hopefully with a few more guys you identify as pieces to move forward with.

Then next year, you have another draft to hopefully nail some picks and another year of big cap space where hopefully you can go for more outside acquisitions after focusing on re-signing this year. That's a year you hope to be at or above 500 and maybe push for the playoffs.

I'd like to see them spend the rest of this offseason trying for deals like Antonio Gibson. Sign a slew of 25-27 year old players that have shown flashes to multi year deals and hopefully a few of them stick as good value signings to lock in some positions/roles moving forward, even if not stars.

The good news is with $50m left under the cap if the guy doesn’t work out we can sign 16 more just like him!

Idk. Seems like he compliments Barmore on the interior pass rush.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back