PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: It's Official. Broncos to Release Russel Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would you suggest?
Jump Ball Joe is a good fit. Had good success this year, has history with AVP, by all accounts is a "good guy" and will understand his role. Has a ring, knows what it takes to get to the mountaintop. Probably won't break the bank.

Cousins and Tannehill are probably top of market guys, as his Mayfield. Mayfield is young enough that he's going to want to be "the guy". My guess is Mayfield stays put in TB. Minshew is a good back up, but they've had a QB room full of those types. Mariota is out there, he's meh. Wentz sounds like another version of Mac Jones. Pass. I know everyone seems to like the idea of Brissett, but what has he done?

I guess I am on the Flacco train. If not him, then Tannehill. Beyond that, it's a crapshoot.

If Tampa loses Mayfield, I could see Wilson going there. Squeeze two more years out of him and Evans.
Feel like Mayfield is back in Tampa if Evans re-signed.

Jump Ball Joe is a good fit. Had good success this year, has history with AVP, by all accounts is a "good guy" and will understand his role. Has a ring, knows what it takes to get to the mountaintop. Probably won't break the bank.

Cousins and Tannehill are probably top of market guys, as his Mayfield. Mayfield is young enough that he's going to want to be "the guy". My guess is Mayfield stays put in TB. Minshew is a good back up, but they've had a QB room full of those types. Mariota is out there, he's meh. Wentz sounds like another version of Mac Jones. Pass. I know everyone seems to like the idea of Brissett, but what has he done?

I guess I am on the Flacco train. If not him, then Tannehill. Beyond that, it's a crapshoot.
Interesting.. I like Flacco, not so much on Tannehill.. he looks more like the Tannehill in Miami than the guy who when to the AFCCG a few years. Flacco turned back into Flacco in the playoffs against Texans, I saw why he became a journeyman after he got benched for Jackson who couldn't throw at the time in Baltimore as a rookie. So I revisit Wilson or Brissett. I'd be fine with either. Wilson to me just fits better, for so long he regarded as one of the best men in the league.. he got traded and it just didn't work out in Denver. But we can all agree there will be a bridge QB here no matter what.

Aren't they backing up the brinks truck for Winfield, too, though?
I heard that they would attempt to re-sign him as well. Honestly not sure what Tampa is doing at this point. I get that they won a playoff game with that team last year and might want to try and run it back in that weak division again but I think most reasonable people know they aren't a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Maybe they will re-sign Baker for a couple years and draft Pennix, Bo Nix, or one of those second rounder type quarterbacks and slowly start the rebuild. They have a lot of their core players around 30 years old or north of it, Vea, Godwin, Evans, Baker, and Levonte David but also have some good young players to build around. Maybe they attempt the reload over a rebuild but it really all depends on who is playing quarterback in a couple years.

Interesting.. I like Flacco, not so much on Tannehill.. he looks more like the Tannehill in Miami than the guy who when to the AFCCG a few years. Flacco turned back into Flacco in the playoffs against Texans, I saw why he became a journeyman after he got benched for Jackson who couldn't throw at the time in Baltimore as a rookie. So I revisit Wilson or Brissett. I'd be fine with either. Wilson to me just fits better, for so long he regarded as one of the best men in the league.. he got traded and it just didn't work out in Denver. But we can all agree there will be a bridge QB here no matter what.
I guess I am looking at it as they need Flacco to be the 5-1 regular season guy and mentor Daniels/Maye/McCarthy/Nix/Penix.

Looks like the patriots current QB room
From the outside looking in, it seems we have to cut our losses on Mac.
Whatever he went through late last season isn't going to fix itself, IMO.
Both sides need a change of scenery.

I agree. IMO the best case scenario for the pats is to get lucky with a vet on a cheap deal until a rookie is ready. I wouldn't mind seeing Zappe with a few weapons and an improved offensive line.
Agreed with this. The offensive line is the most important area to improve right now. We are NOT a quarterback away. We have holes on both the line and at linebacker that are priorities over getting a shiny new toy under center.

This is actually one of the reasons I really want to see Brissett back if we don't just wanna roll with Zappe. he's not a skilled quarterback but every organization that has had him has praised his grit and attitude. he's a good game manager. He limits mistakes. He can't take a game over but he earns the respect of the players around him. he's basically what Brian Hoyer was a decade ago -- a good stopgap. and I trust Brissett to mentor a young QB over most of the rest of the options that are out there.

with Brissett and Zappe we won't have a flashy QB room but we will have a professional one at least. If we can strengthen our line and live on the ground game we might even win a few. It would be a good stepping stone to where we really need to be.

I have been trying to figure out what my real problem with Russell Wilson really is, because his numbers from last season are fine. And what I realized is that my problem with him is this—-he’s a phony. Wilson goes overboard acting like he’s this great teammate and great team guy, but he really isn’t. It’s an act, and that’s not a quality that serves any team well at that position. When their teammates don’t believe in their QB as their leader the offense usually struggles, and we have seen that with really talented QB’s many times over the years. Whereas in the other hand the quarterback can be the biggest ******* there is, but if their teammates believe they will give it all they have for them then they will play their asses off for them. Jim McMahon was a great example of this. And to fact check to see if I’m on the right track on this I went back and looked into it, and I couldn’t find any reports of Wilson’s teammates in either Seattle or Denver being upset that he was traded or released, and that speaks volumes to me. So while I think Wilson has the best track record statistically, and in terms of games won and lost, he’s not the guy I want in that locker room, especially if it’s going to be filling up with young players over the next couple of years. And even though they might not win as many games, I would much rather have Tannehill, Minshew, or even Brissett, as none of those are doing “ hey everyone, look at me - jumping jacks “ in the middle of the aisle on a team flight.
Cousin Ivan.
Light breakfast. Just toasted banana/raisin bread toasted with cream cheese and Tea and juice. Very well thought about Wilson and issues I did not contemplate.

Yes, I think he could win at the least twice as many games for us as we won last season and he won with a Team that was not much better than the 2023 Patriots, but you might have a point about locker room.

I don't think he is a bad person, but I believe the younger players might be star struck over his past accomplishments and he could divide the locker room to detract from the new coaching stable and from the big adjustment of no longer having BB in the room. It's going to be like the twilight zone for awhile in Foxboro.

I think that was a problem with Payton and his new regime in Denver. Players had a belief in Russell (the pied piper effect) and Payton fought for his locker room.

I can see Wilson as a better fit with the Steelers. Payton claimed he ad-libed too much for what Payton wanted in his QB. He wants a point guard. Big Ben did not exactly follow a script. Raiders might be slot two but a new coach there might be an issue about locker room hierarchy too.

OK most of the posters say let's Draft a definite-maybe as our choice at pick #3. Look at the Jets and Zack Wilson or Trey Lance.....Do you remember? Now we have to attach that pick to a "bridge" QB so take that salary off the $100mm. It's two picks, not one. I am not saying don't get a QB. heavens knows we need one. But IMO do we pass up an opportunity to fill a couple of important roster spots for a kid QB from the Holy Three at pick #3 who should sit an marinate for two to three years.....while we suck? I say rat poop on that.

The more I think of this, the more I see the price of Fields seems to be going down. You want competition at QB, well here is is for the shiny new QB. I see his NFL tape. He is ascending. Not perfect but only 25 and has potential. I have tried and tried but I see no NFL tape on the Holy Three.

The other alternative is Wentz. He has a winning record (unlike some of our other favorites) and He's only 31 and cheap. He is healthy. He almost won league MVP with the Eagles until he got hurt.

My plan would be take a tier two QB of either MCarthy Penix, Nix or the sleeper Rattler. Hire Wentz Get your blue chipper OT or WR by moving down in the Draft and picking up another 2nd rounder and take what you did not get in round one.

EXAMPLE: Atlanta. For our#3 get Atlanta #8 (Odunze?) and 2nd round #43 (Guyton...still raw) with a first rounder in 2025. Swap #34 to Cincinnatti for picks #49 (Rattler would be my choice) and pick #80(Fiske.....remember...Guy was cut). With our #68 (Piersall). Round 4 get TE Dallin Holker. He rans and catches like a Russ Francis clone.

5th Round , How about Frank Crum OT for Wyoming 6'8" and 313 less than a 5 second 40. 6th Round RB Dylan Laube and JD Bertand LB in the 7th round

DW Toys

Nothing against Brissett but he would not be my choice as a even a short term starter

Last edited:
From the outside looking in, it seems we have to cut our losses on Mac.
Whatever he went through late last season isn't going to fix itself, IMO.
Both sides need a change of scenery.
100% agreed. It's best Mac be elsewhere. He has it in him to be a QB in the league, but not in NE. I've mentioned that he should go to SF and back up Purdy.

I guess I am looking at it as they need Flacco to be the 5-1 regular season guy and mentor Daniels/Maye/McCarthy/Nix/Penix.
I agree with your thinking.. and I too like Joe, I believe that the hadn't the last few seasons gone how they went.. ownership would be more patient. I think they want to be competitive while readying the next guy.. for some reason why do I have penix coming to us..

They aren't playing either.
I just can't wait to see some watchable football this fall.. I can't remember a time during the last 2 decades where I wasn't looking forward to Sundays like Last season. No matter who we sign as the bridge they will be better than what we saw last season.

Cousin Ivan.
Light breakfast. Just toasted banana/raisin bread toasted with cream cheese and Tea and juice. Very well thought about Wilson and issues I did not contemplate.

Yes, I think he could win at the least twice as many games for us as we won last season and he won with a Team that was not much better than the 2023 Patriots, but you might have a point about locker room.

I don't think he is a bad person, but I believe the younger players might be star struck over his past accomplishments and he could divide the locker room to detract from the new coaching stable and from the big adjustment of no longer having BB in the room. It's going to be like the twilight zone for awhile in Foxboro.

I think that was a problem with Payton and his new regime in Denver. Players had a belief in Russell (the pied piper effect) and Payton fought for his locker room.

I can see Wilson as a better fit with the Steelers. Payton claimed he ad-libed too much for what Payton wanted in his QB. He wants a point guard. Big Ben did not exactly follow a script. Raiders might be slot two but a new coach there might be an issue about locker room hierarchy too.

OK most of the posters say let's Draft a definite-maybe as our choice at pick #3. Look at the Jets and Zack Wilson or Trey Lance.....Do you remember? Now we have to attach that pick to a "bridge" QB so take that salary off the $100mm. It's two picks, not one. I am not saying don't get a QB. heavens knows we need one. But IMO do we pass up an opportunity to fill a couple of important roster spots for a kid QB from the Holy Three at pick #3 who should sit an marinate for two to three years.....while we suck? I say rat poop on that.

The more I think of this, the more I see the price of Fields seems to be going down. You want competition at QB, well here is is for the shiny new QB. I see his NFL tape. He is ascending. Not perfect but only 25 and has potential. I have tried and tried but I see no NFL tape on the Holy Three.

The other alternative is Wentz. He has a winning record (unlike some of our other favorites) and He's only 31 and cheap. He is healthy. He almost won league MVP with the Eagles until he got hurt.

My plan would be take a tier two QB of either MCarthy Penix, Nix or the sleeper Rattler. Hire Wentz Get your blue chipper OT or WR by moving down in the Draft and picking up another 2nd rounder and take what you did not get in round one.

EXAMPLE: Atlanta. For our#3 get Atlanta #8 (Odunze?) and 2nd round #43 (Guyton...still raw) with a first rounder in 2025. Swap #34 to Cincinnatti for picks #49 (Rattler would be my choice) and pick #80(Fiske.....remember...Guy was cut). With our #68 (Piersall). Round 4 get TE Dallin Holker. He rans and catches like a Russ Francis clone.

5th Round , How about Frank Crum OT for Wyoming 6'8" and 313 less than a 5 second 40. 6th Round RB Dylan Laube and TyRun Hoper LB who can cover in the 7th round

DW Toys

Nothing against Brissett but he would not be my choice as a even a short term starter

DW, we have had this discussion before, I don’t have any interest at all in trying to become a mediocre team. I don’t want anything to do with Russell Wilson, or Justin Fields, or Baker Mayfield. I don’t care about next season other than as a stepping stone to future success. I want them to take a QB at 3, period. I want them to make intelligent moves to build a great team, and that’s it. To me building a team to be mediocre is a complete waste of time, and I have no interest in watching them do that. If that actually is their goal them they should just sell the team as soon as they can. I don’t believe that’s the case, but if it is then I’m not interested in it. And to be honest I’m pretty much shocked at the number of Patriot fans who seem to want just that.

Given how many free agents are getting tagged I really wonder if we should just "sell" our cap room for picks. Offer to take Wilsons contract, Jeudy and a 2nd for a 4th, or same player offer but their 1st and add our 2nd back. Gets them out of cap hell and can just use Wilson for a year while Maye/JJ/Daniels sit. Better than throwing $ after Gave Davis, Noah Fantasy etc just because we have to spend to the fkoor

End up with our favorite QB of future at #3, best OT at #12 (or WR and OT with two #2's), Jeudy for a one year look, sign Wilkins to big $, sign Barkley Jacobs or Eckler and just run every play. Wilson to backup next year and then gone in year 3 of rebuild with hopefully QB in place and lots of cap room and hopefully have hit on other picks this year

Stay far away from him and his fame seeking wife. He revitalized her tanking career.

Russ's enormous ego won't let him take such a role, IMO.

IMO he'll sit at home and count his money long before he signs up to be a gap filler for some punk rookie.
You may be right about that, but these guys are addicted to the fame and competition. We were first-hand witness to that with Brady hanging around long after he made his intergenerational wealth and legacy only to be followed by Cam Newton. I think this is a good landing spot for him with a rookie coach about the same age and an OC who has handled lots of interesting QBs in different capacities.

If you had your pick of an active, available veteran QB who could come in at reasonable price, who would you get?

It's funny, some entitled fair weather fans don't realize how much of locker room cancer the current QB position is. It's also funny I've never seen a fan base that says no, we want to suck don't sign anyone that can help.. again he's a bridge QB.. weather or not we can all agree on who their will be a bridge QB here or some sort.. Unless fans are content not to do that either.
FWIW I agree that the current QB has a leadership issue and needs to move along and I don't think that it is the least bit funny. Wolf basically said the same. In retrospect Mac's leadership gaps started to emerge during his rookie season. Throwing someone like Wilson into the leadership vacuum on this team would not be good, even for a short period of time.

FWIW I agree that the current QB has a leadership issue and needs to move along and I don't think that it is the least bit funny. Wolf basically said the same. In retrospect Mac's leadership gaps started to emerge during his rookie season. Throwing someone like Wilson into the leadership vacuum on this team would not be good, even for a short period of time.
I definitely understand what your saying and your point. I believe the situation with russ in Denver has gotten a bit overblown.. I know that it didn't work out but Payton himself raved about his professional approach and his leadership abilities.. I just think honestly him being Injured, struggling, the team loosing that guys didn't buy in to him... russ is a pro.. if we don't sign him.. I'd like to trade for fields as a bridge QB.

I wouldn't mind Flacco, but here's his "mentoring" history:

Lamar (huge success), Drew Lock, Sam Darnold, Zach Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back