PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: It's Official. Broncos to Release Russel Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn’t seem like the players that he works with love him very much. I don’t know, says a lot when none of your former teammates don’t say a word after your departure for two teams.
Who cares. really? He's a one-year signing to be in the QB room with the #3 pick in the draft. He is, by far, the most accomplished veteran on the market with something left in the tank. He can start and make the Patriots competitive until the rookie is ready to take over. The young QBs they are looking at are mobile, modern QBs who can learn a lot from Russell. If not Wilson, who? Jacoby Brissett? Joe Flacco? Mac Jones? Gardner Minshew? Marcus Mariota? Russell Wilson is the best veteran QB of the bunch, and shouldn't cost much.

He really did not have a bad 2023 season.
No he didn't. He just was not a fit with Sean Payton and his $25.5 million guarantee that kicks in shortly hamstrung the Broncos. They signed him to a ridiculous contract and gave up way too much to Seattle for guy on the back nine. The Patriots are an ideal spot for him to do his thing with a re-building offensive line while a top draft pick learns the ropes.

Lol the $250 million extension hasn't even kicked in yet. He played the last two years on his old deal.

Lol the $250 million extension hasn't even kicked in yet. He played the last two years on his old deal.
We should make a move for Surtain Denver will be in cap hell for a while.

We should make a move for Surtain Denver will be in cap hell for a while.
Rumors were he was available at the deadline. Not sure I would want to give up anything of too much value for a luxury (considering we have Gonzalez back fully healthy) and then have to pay Surtain soon too.

Rumors were he was available at the deadline. Not sure I would want to give up anything of too much value for a luxury (considering we have Gonzalez back fully healthy) and then have to pay Surtain soon too.
I am thinking no fly zone with Gonzo Two Shut Down CB's. :cool:

Agreed 100%. He's Worth look maybe he can push all pro Zapp.
Real all pro Zappe??
Despicable Me Lol GIF

If Tampa loses Mayfield, I could see Wilson going there. Squeeze two more years out of him and Evans.

Ok so funny you mentioned that.. on numbers.. I don't get the utter entitled fans on here that are saying no.. we are in no position to turn down talent russ is still talented. The point is he's available.. a smart GM looks at him ,never hurts. On numbers again did you see the numbers on our QB position? 24-8 at the QB position has this team in the post season.. is all I'm saying..
It's all about team building. Russ IMO is not a cornerstone player, he's the opposite of that.

Russ is an aging player who won't be around long term, has lost foot speed, and has an injury history that can't be ignored. Then, add in issues with chemistry and commitment, for me it's 'just say no'.

IMO we should draft a rookie QB and some OL to protect that QB, and build out from there. If we miss on the QB, then we'll suck again and be in position to draft another QB high next year.

We go nowhere till we have a long term answer at QB, IMO.

Having a rookie QB on cheap money for 4-5 seasons is the best advantage one can have in the modern NFL, IMO.

Fair. I can agree. The injuries, age just didn't equate to the success he had in Seattle. His WR'S were also in and out of the line up too. What we would be doing is bringing in him to help along the draft pick, while remaining competitive.. of course we aren't superbowl bound.. but the krafts are still running a business and those empty seats do Matter... it will be very interesting the next 2 weeks..
I'd like to point out that 2013 Russell Wilson and 2023 Russell Wilson are not the same person. Further, I'd like to point out that the 2023 Patriots beat him. He's a fine starting QB in the NFL, but there's a lot there that may not make him a good fit for this team, now, in 2024, my original post about him hanging the OL out to dry chief among them.

I don't want this guy mentoring any rookie QB that the Pats might take. I think there's other vet options that can be explored. Is it worth a phone call? Sure, call him up and see what he expects. League minimum? Maybe bring him in for a meeting. There's a lot of young guys on the Pats staff that will be able to deal with the crap he brings. Perhaps they can keep him in line for a year. I think there's better options out there for QB mentors besides this player.

Who cares. really? He's a one-year signing to be in the QB room with the #3 pick in the draft. He is, by far, the most accomplished veteran on the market with something left in the tank. He can start and make the Patriots competitive until the rookie is ready to take over. The young QBs they are looking at are mobile, modern QBs who can learn a lot from Russell. If not Wilson, who? Jacoby Brissett? Joe Flacco? Mac Jones? Gardner Minshew? Marcus Mariota? Russell Wilson is the best veteran QB of the bunch, and shouldn't cost much.
Russ's enormous ego won't let him take such a role, IMO.

IMO he'll sit at home and count his money long before he signs up to be a gap filler for some punk rookie.

It's all about team building. Russ IMO is not a cornerstone player, he's the opposite of that.

Russ is an aging player who won't be around long term, has lost foot speed, and has an injury history that can't be ignored. Then, add in issues with chemistry and commitment, for me it's 'just say no'.

IMO we should draft a rookie QB and some OL to protect that QB, and build out from there. If we miss on the QB, then we'll suck again and be in position to draft another QB high next year.

We go nowhere till we have a long term answer at QB, IMO.

Having a rookie QB on cheap money for 4-5 seasons is the best advantage one can have in the modern NFL, IMO.
I agree with you, I don't want you to think I'm not. Absolutely all in on the pick, but unless that guys ready week 1 as a starter, we need to still have a vet, doesn't have to be Wilson persay.. but we need a veteran in the QB room.

I'd like to point out that 2013 Russell Wilson and 2023 Russell Wilson are not the same person. Further, I'd like to point out that the 2023 Patriots beat him. He's a fine starting QB in the NFL, but there's a lot there that may not make him a good fit for this team, now, in 2024, my original post about him hanging the OL out to dry chief among them.

I don't want this guy mentoring any rookie QB that the Pats might take. I think there's other vet options that can be explored. Is it worth a phone call? Sure, call him up and see what he expects. League minimum? Maybe bring him in for a meeting. There's a lot of young guys on the Pats staff that will be able to deal with the crap he brings. Perhaps they can keep him in line for a year. I think there's better options out there for QB mentors besides this player.
Who would you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back