PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Reach Agreement With Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bedard: Matt Light agrees to 2-year deal!

Good move, glad to see he will finish his career with the Patriots.. will be an invaluable assset for Solder....

Happy with this! :D

I did chuckle at a tweet to Rapoport asking if Solder had been cut!

I'm stunned they were able to resign him. How some spendthrift team did not offer him a crazy 4 year deal is beyond me, but I'll take it. :)

Pretty much my thoughts, although the news of the past few days seemed to herald this kind of outcome.

This improves the team but.... I am POed, Solder gets a redshirt year? WTF, total waste of a first round pick. The Pats were within range of Kerrigan, Quinn and other impact defensive players. Now they will pay Solder for at least one, maybe two of his years to sit on the bench? He will only be signed for four years, which means at best they will get 75%.

Plus Quinn was my binkie.

Sign, rant over, go Pats, you can never have too much depth.

He will only be signed for four years, which means at best they will get 75%.

He could get resigned :rolleyes:

Great move. Matt Light isn't the best left tackle in football but he was still the best option the Pats had at the position. Solder should be ready to start in a couple of years.

Report: Patriots and Matt Light Agree to Two-Year Deal

Report: Patriots and Matt Light Agree to Two-Year Deal
By: Derek Havens

Report: The Patriots and offensive tackle Matt Light have agreed to a two-year deal. ...

This improves the team but.... I am POed, Solder gets a redshirt year? WTF, total waste of a first round pick. The Pats were within range of Kerrigan, Quinn and other impact defensive players. Now they will pay Solder for at least one, maybe two of his years to sit on the bench? He will only be signed for four years, which means at best they will get 75%.

The best LT will start the game. If that ends up being Solder by week 4, 8, 12...next year, then so be it.

As with all 1st rounders they will have him under control for 5 years via the option year they can exercise in year 3. Although if he can't beat Light out by next season they won't have to... Given the lockout offseason this is the ideal compromise to throwing any rookie - let alone a LT - into the fire prematurely, as many teams will be forced to. Depth wise not too many teams can compete with a former pro bowler and a potential pro bowler on the roster at the position.

great news!

I'm stunned they were able to resign him. How some spendthrift team did not offer him a crazy 4 year deal is beyond me, but I'll take it. :)

Not sure you've noticed but the FA crazy money spending frenzy the cash floor was supposed to unleash hasn't happened. Probably because teams are feeling their way through a new 5 year plan on how to manage a new 10 year CBA...and the floor for teams does not kick in until 2013-16... Really the only silly money spender out of the gate was Carolina and the market has now dried up less than a week in...

wow this is like the best off-season ever. By it being soooo short it helped us extremely:):):)

Now Mankins and hopefully (fingers crossed) a pass rush and this team will take it to the top!

Matt Light would be gone if not for the Lockout messing w/ FA'cy:)

I LOVE this Lockout now!!!

don't you JET fans <3 it to?:) not:rocker: 8mill for cros-hit x4 years

As with all 1st rounders they will have him under control for 5 years via the option year they can exercise in year 3. Although if he can't beat Light out by next season they won't have to... Given the lockout offseason this is the ideal compromise to throwing any rookie - let alone a LT - into the fire prematurely, as many teams will be forced to. Depth wise not too many teams can compete with a former pro bowler and a potential pro bowler on the roster at the position.

Good points but still Quinn has been my binkie since Mayock said he has "rare and elite talent"...

Injuries happen too, pretty strong chance that Vollmer or Light will miss time.

Anyone else read the thread title as "Bearded Matt Light agrees to 2 year deal"?

I was like, "I'm glad the deal is done, and surprisingly reassured that he hasn't shaved"...

Good points but still Quinn has been my binkie since Mayock said he has "rare and elite talent"...

Injuries happen too, pretty strong chance that Vollmer or Light will miss time.

Look at Vollmer's rookie season. He didn't start until Light was injured in week 6, filling in at LT for a few weeks before getting injured, then coming back to play left and right tackle, before settling into right tackle for the last few games of the season.

There's no reason to complain about a red-shirt season for Solder when the season hasn't even started. Things can change pretty quickly. Plus he may still win the starting job as a rookie, just as Light once did. The best players will play, and if Light is better at this time, you should be happy the better player is protecting Brady's blindside instead of complaining that Solder's first year is going to waste.

Last edited:

Matt Light would be gone if not for the Lockout messing w/ FA'cy:)

I LOVE this Lockout now!!!

don't you JET fans <3 it to?:) not:rocker: 8mill for cros-hit x4 years

I ventured off to the land of JEST and its amazing because they all feel like this is a good deal and he should be paid this amount. Some even thought he could rake in atleast 10 M per year. :rolleyes:

Good news, now hopefully Mankins in next to be locked down.

Patriots Reach Agreement With Light
By: Ian Logue

Good news on this Monday morning, with the Boston Herald reporting that the Patriots have agreed to terms on a contract with Matt Light....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back