PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Reach Agreement With Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bedard: Matt Light agrees to 2-year deal!

this makes me very happy. having our O-line stabilized makes all the world of a difference for the teams W-L success.

great news!

wow this is like the best off-season ever. By it being soooo short it helped us extremely:):):)

Matt Light would be gone if not for the Lockout messing w/ FA'cy:)

I LOVE this Lockout now!!!

don't you JET fans <3 it to?:) not:rocker: 8mill for cros-hit x4 years

all indications have LIGHT out. We should not resign him. The best way to get experience is to be thrown right into hell. Baptism under FIRE baby:):):)

Solder is it

-----------

where will Crump be in 2-3 years??? A PATRIOT??? I doubt it. He will command too much $$$[/COLOR]

Welcome to Patsfans.com, Mr. Kerry.

waffle%20house.gif

Where are you getting these games?

I downloaded them. PM if you're really interested, and I'll get you the info.

Last edited:

That is some great news!!

MikeReiss Mike Reiss
Associated Press reports that Matt Light's contract with Patriots is 2 years, $12 million, with $7 million guaranteed.

More than I expected honestly. It sounds like Solder won't see the field for 2 years unless light moves inside with that money tossed at him.

Last edited:

That's a good deal for both sides. Though Light took a discount on that deal with the funny money that's been tossed around for guys who didn't even start last year.

We'll see on the the details, but let's use an example of $4M guaranteed salary this year and a $5M salary next year with a bonus of $3M.

In effect, Light would be paid $7M this year and the patriots would have an option on Light for next year at $5M, if Light doesn't retire. The contract may specifically allow Light to retire with no loss of bonus money, or penalize him if he reitres.
======================
Under these circumstances, Solder would be expected to start next year. If he is not up to the task. Light would come back for another year as a starter.

In any case, Light could come back at LG, but personally I think that is unlikely.

MikeReiss Mike Reiss
Associated Press reports that Matt Light's contract with Patriots is 2 years, $12 million, with $7 million guaranteed.

More than I expected honestly. It sounds like Solder won't see the field for 2 years unless light moves inside with that money tossed at him.

MikeReiss Mike Reiss

How is that mid first round pick looking now? You think he won't see the field until year 3 ? Wow. Isnt he a free agent after year 4?

Last edited:

How is that mid first round pick looking now? You think he won't see the field until year 3 ? Wow. Isnt he a free agent after year 4?

Don't most 1strounders so far have options for teams to pick up a 5th and 6th year?

I'm with Christopher Price on this one:

Twitter

"Double Whoa"

This leads to the question: "Will Solder serve as a swing tackle, or will he be strictly working on the left?".

Just tossing things out there... but would it maybe make sense to have Light go through camp at right guard while we see if Solder can man left tackle? If Solder's not satisfactory, throw Light back to LT for the opener. He's got plenty of experience, and the reps won't mean much to him. If Solder proves worthy, maybe Light will have developed his skillset for guard, and he'll be an upgrade over Connolly.

Of course, Connolly would lose out on starter's reps in this scenario. It's all just a thought. Having some fun.

Just tossing things out there... but would it maybe make sense to have Light go through camp at right guard while we see if Solder can man left tackle? If Solder's not satisfactory, throw Light back to LT for the opener. He's got plenty of experience, and the reps won't mean much to him. If Solder proves worthy, maybe Light will have developed his skillset for guard, and he'll be an upgrade over Connolly.

Of course, Connolly would lose out on starter's reps in this scenario. It's all just a thought. Having some fun.

I said, I think earlier in this thread, that Light should go to RG IFFF Solder can play LT.

I said, I think earlier in this thread, that Light should go to RG IFFF Solder can play LT.

And if Light can play RG ....different footwork than what he's been doing for the past 10 years. It can be hard to unlearn some things.

A 2 year $12M deal with $7M guaranteed can well become a 1 year $7M deal. After all the tag (top 5) for OL in 2011 is $10.1M... Depending on structure, they could take a million or two in dead cap hit in 2012 if that's what it turned out to be.

A 2 year $12M deal with $7M guaranteed can well become a 1 year $7M deal. After all the tag (top 5) for OL in 2011 is $10.1M... Depending on structure, they could take a million or two in dead cap hit in 2012 if that's what it turned out to be.

It's a totally reasonable deal, for both sides. For Light, it's not a surefire one-and-done contract -- if he plays well, he has a decent shot at the whole $12 million. For the Pats, the downside is one year, $7 million, well worth it for a team leader protecting the team's most valuable asset.

It'll be interesting to see how much they front- loaded the deal, if at all.

We ask players to check their egos at the door, but we don't ask them not to have any. Very often when a veteran FA isn't ready to walk away he finds a one year deal unpaletable because it's as if the league is telling him that's all he has left. He may even be thinking that may be the case, but he doesn't want to be dictated to. He wants his options open. We've lost more than a couple of FA targets because we don't tend to acquiesse to the option. Occasionally we do. We did for Alge for example, but that didn't mean he'd automatically be here in that second year...

The value of continuity on an NFL offensive line is something worth considering in the whole Light vs Solder debate too.

Dan Koppen Excited to Reunite With Logan Mankins, Matt Light - New England Patriots - Jeff Howe - NESN.com

"It's great to have those guys back," center Dan Koppen said. "The type of player that Logan and Matt are, what they've done for this team, they're such good guys. Having them in the locker room, good friends, it's really good to see them coming back."

I'll never understand why so many on this board think that Light isnt very good. :confused:

welcome back Matt, you're needed ;)

Yes, you obviously do not understand. :D

For 99.8% of the plays he is awesome. Then he false starts or something.

Matt Light is not perfect and, d%#*!@t, we want him to be. Yes, it is a high standard. Your point?

I look forward to thinking the same way of Volmeer and/or Solder

I look forward to thinking the same way of Volmeer and/or Solder

Can't wait until we find an upgrade for those two stiffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back