PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Reach Agreement With Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bedard: Matt Light agrees to 2-year deal!

This improves the team but.... I am POed, Solder gets a redshirt year? WTF, total waste of a first round pick. The Pats were within range of Kerrigan, Quinn and other impact defensive players. Now they will pay Solder for at least one, maybe two of his years to sit on the bench? He will only be signed for four years, which means at best they will get 75%.

Plus Quinn was my binkie.

Sign, rant over, go Pats, you can never have too much depth.

Quinn was taken ahead of the Pats pick. As did JJ Watt. Pats stayed put and picked what they felt was a franchise LT of the future to protect Brady. As for the breaking in year, this happens for all rookies except maybe RBs. Even Quinn wouldn't be a guaranteed starter from opening day. Particularly when you consider how complex the Pats defensive scheme is and how many linebackers have come in and flopped in this system. Bruschi took 3 years before he fully converted.

This story, when I heard about it earlier, really made my weekend, and helps make this Monday a brighter day. Now get Mankins under contract and the rest of the folks signed and it'll be an August with more potential and excitement than any since maybe the '04 season.

This improves the team but.... I am POed, Solder gets a redshirt year? WTF, total waste of a first round pick. The Pats were within range of Kerrigan, Quinn and other impact defensive players. Now they will pay Solder for at least one, maybe two of his years to sit on the bench? He will only be signed for four years, which means at best they will get 75%.

Plus Quinn was my binkie.

Sign, rant over, go Pats, you can never have too much depth.

They resigned Light because that's whats going to keep TFB on his feet. Suppose they TFB gets beaten like a rented mule and his career is cut short, would you really consider that a victory because "we needed to get full value for Solder"?

Light gives BB and Scar time to get Solder ready, it gives us depth at LT and perhaps even LG.

Signing Light was a VERY smart move.

Interestingly, I've been watching all of the Patriots games from last season in order and I'm currently on Week 10 at the Steelers. Sans one holding penalty in the third quarter, Light had a really good game against Harrison. He was pretty much one-on-one for the majority of that game, and he managed to keep Harrison in check for almost the whole game.

I'm still concerned when it comes to smaller, quicker guys like Freeney. However, I'm still thrilled to retain the guy.

Harrison was hurt in that game.

Quinn was taken ahead of the Pats pick. As did JJ Watt. Pats stayed put and picked what they felt was a franchise LT of the future to protect Brady. As for the breaking in year, this happens for all rookies except maybe RBs. Even Quinn wouldn't be a guaranteed starter from opening day. Particularly when you consider how complex the Pats defensive scheme is and how many linebackers have come in and flopped in this system. Bruschi took 3 years before he fully converted.

Not to mention that after missing an offseason Quinn landed on PUP/NFI to open camp...hurt his knee in the offseason.

This O line is shaping up very nicely and that is good news for us and bad news for the rest of the NFL.

This one's a very pleasant surprise for me. I'm glad for Matt -- not only does it mean stability for his family, but as a career-long Patriot with a big personality, he should be able to do well with a local media career as an ex-Patriot if he's interested.

As for Solder, I don't see this as a "redshirt year." It's just a matter of not forcing the rookie to start, ready or not, in a weird year with no rookie camp or offseason program. And even if he miraculously starts from day 1, isn't Matt Light one heck of a mentor/backup LT?

Perfect. Hope he can retire here at the end of that deal.

Awesome! This definitely helps shore up the OL. Glad to have Light back in the fold. Hopefully Mankins is next.........

I think Light does the right thing and plays OG for a while. He might not play there right away but Solder will take over for him part way through the season. Mankins is most likely GONE.

Terrific. O-Line in place with some young talent for depth if Solder gets his head out of his butt and shows up for work.

These rookie holdouts are obnoxious. He wants a guaranteed 4th year. Yeah. Try to guarantee your job by showing up. He's doing no one any good by falling behind this year.

Cannon was a first round talent, hope this kid stays healthy.

I think Light does the right thing and plays OG for a while. He might not play there right away but Solder will take over for him part way through the season. Mankins is most likely GONE.

Mankins signed his tender so for him to be gone, he must be traded to someone who is willing to pay ~$8M for a guard. So, who is going to trade for him and what do we get when Mankins is GONE?

Brady

BJGE/New guy

Light
Mankins
Koppen
Connolly
Vollmer

Gronkowski

Johnson
Welker

Branch/Hernandez

I'm liking the starting offense. One spot (RG) still needs an upgrade, and one spot needs either an upgrade or tandem player, but everything else looks fairly well set.

I'm ok with Connolly starting at RG, but the depth there is not good to say the least. Ideally, someone else takes the RG spot which allows Connolly to backup all three interior positions (which he's proven he can do on an interim basis). Otherwise we're hoping for zero man-games lost between the G's and C's.

Mankins signed his tender so for him to be gone, he must be traded to someone who is willing to pay ~$8M for a guard. So, who is going to trade for him and what do we get when Mankins is GONE?

Getting Light back to play G and trading Mankins was ALWAYS my top scenario. However because Solder has refused to sign, and its unlikely that any team would give us a first or second round choice PLUS pay Mankins top dollar. Its probably not going to happen.

I think Light came back because he decided this was his last year. the Pats gave him 2 years for show and cap reasons. The 6+MM is a nice going away present.

Great news, the left side is set for this year and set for the long term once Mankins gets done. The front office has done a great job of managing their contracts. If Cannon can step in and play RG this will be a really good OL.

Getting Light back to play G and trading Mankins was ALWAYS my top scenario. However because Solder has refused to sign, and its unlikely that any team would give us a first or second round choice PLUS pay Mankins top dollar. Its probably not going to happen.

I think Light came back because he decided this was his last year. the Pats gave him 2 years for show and cap reasons. The 6+MM is a nice going away present.

What's Solder's issue, he's a raw rookie that probably couldn't stop a wet fart from getting to TFB and he wants Jake Long money?

What's Solder's issue, he's a raw rookie that probably couldn't stop a wet fart from getting to TFB and he wants Jake Long money?

As I understand it, his issue is that one #$&*! team signed a pick a few slots below him and guaranteed the whole deal, "setting a precedent" so none of the players drafted above him will accept anything less. In the new rookie scale world it's all about guarantees, not dollars.

As I understand it, his issue is that one #$&*! team signed a pick a few slots below him and guaranteed the whole deal, "setting a precedent" so none of the players drafted above him will accept anything less. In the new rookie scale world it's all about guarantees, not dollars.

So whether TFB's jersey never needs washing or if he doesnt last the season because of Solder's mistake he should get paid just the same?

Where's our pal Fitzy to give Solder a big GFY about now?

Almost got lost in the flurry of Free Agency Christmas. I'm thrilled to see him protecting the blindside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes