Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots players that you have underrated!

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATSNUTme, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    We, as homers, tend to overrate the players wearing the Patriots uniforms. It's a natural thing and most fans of teams do that.

But on this thread I want you to come clean and tell the rest of us which Patriots players currently on the roster have you underrated. Don't wait until cuts are made.

My 2 are:

Matthew Slater - For the past 3 years I have predcicted him off the 53 man roster. I just haven't seen why BB would keep him when he could have kept others. Sure he is a good ST player and did start out as a safety.

But this pre-season I've seen what BB sees in him at WR. So I was wrong. Having said that, BB will probably cut him this Sat.

Kyle Love - I thought that he was decent but haven't seen why BB considered him to be better than others. This pre-season I'm starting to see it.

Ok, my neck is out there so now list your underrated players before you tell me how dumb I have been underrating Slater and Love.
  2. bagwell368

bagwell368 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I dunno.

I don't like Brace and I'm not confident he'll ever do anything here.

I don't like Morris, but he'll probably make it, I'd rather have 4 TE's. So OK, I underestimated Morris if he makes the team, but I still don't like him.

Is that what you had in mind?
  3. Spiral

Spiral PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If Slater sees any significant time at WR, then I will be guilty of under-rating him. Thought he was strictly ST guy.
  4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Do you mean this year? Hard to say at this point for me. I know in recent history, it was easily BJGE.

He was what many consider a bubble guy as recently as last preseason (before Maroney got traded). I remember many threads on here (which I agreed with) that basically said "While we love the guy's heart", he'll never make it as a frontline RB in this league. 2 years ago, very few had him making the final roster (myself included).

I certainly never viewed him in that way. Last year he really proved a lot of people wrong that thought that he couldn't (for the most part) carry the load on 1st & 2nd down. He made a nice little niche for himself.

Slater is certainly a good candidate for this year. I personally see him as a lock at this point. Still don't know how much we'll see him out there catching passes this season though.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  5. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Just going off of this year Ridley and Fletcher before they were hurt. Also Andre Carter to this point. I never thought that much of him in Washington.
  6. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#32 Jersey
    I'll be shocked if slater is cut. He almost looks better at wide out than Tate.
  7. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think the idea is to look at it with the idea the glass is half full, rather than seeing it as being half empty. In other words, players that you are pleasantly surprised to find out are better than you first thought they were; good stories, not disappointing stories.
  8. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

In the last few years, about 70%* of this board said that BJGE wasn't qualified to be the water boy for this team. About another 20%* said he'd be serviceable for the role that year but wouldn't be back the following year, and about 10%* said that he was the second coming of whatever religious deity you may (or may not) believe in.

*all percentages estimated, but are probably pretty close. I put this here because someone is bound to be a wise@ss and reply saying "do you have facts to back that up?" So the answer is no, I don't.
  9. TB=TD

TB=TD Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Tom Brady.
  10. GoWhalers

GoWhalers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How about a little love for Gerard Warren?

* A top 5 draft pick who busts out in Cleveland.

* Then to further confirm that the Cleveland D-line stunk, Warren is reunited in Denver with other Cleveland D-linemen, where they stink even worse.

* Follow that with a trade to the Raiders for a conditional 5th rounder, then released by the Raiders in 2010.

Patriots pick him up, make him a starter, and he's stuck around! That's pretty impressive with that resume.
  11. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    Zoltan Mesko - his punts are going to be a weapon this season.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis - never underestimate the difficulty of punching in those short yardage rushing touchdowns.
  12. BlueHen

BlueHen Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Agreed, 100%. SLater has shown up big time this pre-season.
  13. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Woodhead- most people (including me) assumed he was signed just to get some inside dirt on the jests game plan, to be released soon thereafter.

Wrong.
  14. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Guys that I've been notably down on relative to board opinion at large over the last year or two:

Tate, Edelman, BJGE, Ninkovich, G. Warren, T. Warren, Connolly. I'm sure I'm missing some, but out of that list I'll definitely admit that I underestimated BJGE and Ninkovich. Maybe Edelman too, if he can stay healthy.

On a side note, wouldn't it be kinda funny if Slater was cut tomorrow? After years of lots of fans not getting why he was making the team, now he shows enough as a WR for everyone to agree that he belongs on the team... only to get cut. If this happens, I'm going to be mad at myself for joking about it.
  15. crowell33

crowell33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How about a guy who almost certainly won't make the team ? Landon Cohen.

Love watching that guy.
  16. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Agreed; he'll be making someone's 53, I think that's a pretty safe bet. The guy can play.
  17. PatsFanStnfrd

PatsFanStnfrd Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Don't know the final 53 yet. If they make it, here are the surprise/understated players:

1) Will Yeatman: UDFA TE lacrosse player makes it over 5th round draft pick Lee Smith
    2) Slater: shows he is more than ST-er, also WR
    3) Josh Barrett: leap of faith retention because of BB's eval.-- we've seen nothing yet

Outright disappointments:
    1) Tate -- 'nough said

Players who are opposite of understated (make it on team because of lack of better alternatives:)
    1) Ohrberger
    2) Wendell
  18. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Green-Ellis
    Love
    Fletcher
  19. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What is that cartoon character doing to the Lion?
  20. townes

townes Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

BJGE

D. Connolly

Both delivered when they had to and neither was really expected to.
  21. Modest

Modest Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Kyle Arrington. Many people were calling for his head and had him in the same class as Darius Butler. He has proved to be serviceable though.
  22. JJDChE

JJDChE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Good point on him. I couldn't really think of anyone when I read the OP, but I definitely thought Warren was going to be off the team in short order when we signed him. Considering his past, it's amazing that he's stuck.
  23. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Dan Connolly

When Logan Mankins held out and then his presumed replacement, Nick Kaczur was hurt after one practice there was quite a bit of angst among fans of the Patriots. In fact, I think BB may have had some too, seeing how he did not IR Kaczur right away. Though he's not an all-pro by any means Connolly performed much better than expected, first in place of Mankins, and then on the other side in place of Neal. All this from a guy that in previous years fans were saying 'why is he here'?

Kyle Arrington

Similar to Connolly, Arrington stepped up and performed better than expected when injuries and ineffectiveness of others forced him into a starter role. Another guy that up until then many here didn't even think deserved a spot on the roster.
  24. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

With BGJE, what we saw last year is what we're going to get. I would value him as rated (not under or over).

As far as my underrated I would say Love who always looks great out there, Guyton is getting better every year, Arrington even though he started a bunch of games, and my out of the blue prediction is Ochocinco who hasn't shown anything in the preseason but is primed for a good year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.