PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots OL: 2011 Version > 2007 Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the OC actually commit to the running game though?

I pray we are not the 2001 Rams. Remember how Martz refused to run the ball. The Patriots could have run BJGE for 150 yards in that Ravens game, but kept pulling him after a couple of good runs. Was he tired? Did the Ravens change their D? Was the OC/Brady too bent on throwing the ball?

Last edited:
The definition of insanity is making the same mistake over and over and over and.....

Since we've seen this same tendency exhibited by 2 OCs now I'd lean towards this issue coming from elsewhere in the organization.

Smesh, kudos for isolating the key to this game. This Giant DL is very fast - JPP is going to be as big a test as Suggs was. However this IS the best OL in Pats history as it stands last night. Adding Volmer would just make it better. Connolly's job on Ngata, should solidify his permanent hold on the C job long tern. Sorry Dan.

The Key here is that SF had just 2 real threats in that game - Gore in the run game, and The TE down field. Their WRs were about as useless as ours. OTOH, we will have 4 legitimate serious receiving threats (Gronk Wes, Hendu, and Branch) plus a decent enough run game. The Giants will face a much more balanced offense than they did with SF. Balanced in the sense it can hit all areas of the field with multiple receivers, and pose a run threat that has to be taken seriously.

Personally I think the Giants will pose a bigger rush threat than the Ravens, but the rest of their defense isn't as strong or as deep. Interesting trade off.

Not the superbowl but the entire year. The O-line was great all year long until the end.

All that counts is the SB.

Just ask the 2007-2008 Patriots and Giants.

All other angles are piffle right now.

The Pats O-Line is better this year but you have to be careful projecting success against one great unit and assuming the same against another. The Ravens D-Line is a big and physical unit. The Giants rely on speed a lot more. It was that speed that caused so many issues for the Pats in 07.

Losing Stephen Neal early in that game is also one of the more underrated reasons they struggled. Assuming the line is healthy for the entire game they'll see more success.

Another aspect of why this line is better is Gronk and potentially Solder at the TE position. The Pats TE situation was pretty bad in 07.

They need to be more patient and stick with the run against the Giants. I think the draw could be big and I'd like us to rediscover the screen pass, traditional not bubble.

I hope Logan Mankins plans on wearing his big boy pants this time around.

Also worth noting that Light is playing at a higher level than I have ever seen him play during his career here, so that bodes well.

I pray we are not the 2001 Rams. Remember how Martz refused to run the ball. The Patriots could have run BJGE for 150 yards in that Ravens game, but kept pulling him after a couple of good runs. Was he tired? Did the Ravens change their D? Was the OC/Brady too bent on throwing the ball?

I do think our backs are better this year. BJGE is better will be a key. He actually ran the ball well in the first game.

Manning likes to throw to Cruz. Got to take him out of the game.

Since we've seen this same tendency exhibited by 2 OCs now I'd lean towards this issue coming from elsewhere in the organization.

Exactly, it hasn't stopped since that game, it certainly didn't stop yesterday, no reason for it to stop two weeks from now.

Our O-Line in 07 was great. Losing Neal hurt. All that matters is our performance at the SB because the Giants Pass Rush is NASTY!!!

I do think that people forget about that, sometimes. If Neal had played the full game, I think that the Pats would have won SB42. The tide shifted when he went out.

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back