PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots officially a top 10 Defense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but they where fortunate it was the chiefs!!!Cant do that against better teams.

Cant do what? Allow 3 points?
Everyone would agree that it would be harder to stop a better offense, but nothing the defense did Monday suggests they would struggle to stop a good offense more than any other team would.
You have a foolproof argument. Even if they allowed zero yards and points you can dismiss it because of the opponent. How many defenses have allowed only 3 points in a game this season against anyone?

D played pretty good last night..yes they always give up yards..but like Gruden said..since when are yards are the scoreboard?

Aaron Rodgers would destroy this defense in the Super Bowl. Pats better hope the Pack don't make it there

The Packer defense isn't much better. Brady would pick them apart. As much as people malign the Patriot defense, nobody questions the Packers defense and the problems they have. I hope its Green Bay versus the Patriots in the SB. That would probably be one of the most high coring games ever.

Even those firmly entrenched in the 'the Patriots D is awful, will be torn to pieces by the better offenses, stats pointing to the D not being awful are misleading' cannot dispute the Patriot defense has performed consistently decent (not outstanding but decent) in the red zone (forcing FGs).
If their decent performance in red zone D turns to be a result of good play and coaching (which will prove out over the remainder of the season) and the Offense performs at a very high level (something it hasn't done consistently but is obviously capable of), the Patriots have a very plausible formula for a Super Bowl run: A) Score often with the potent offense and B) force the opposition to kick FGs at least half the time......

Even the most negative leaning posters might agree it isn't depressingly long odds for the Patriots to deliver on both A and B, and for that formula to produce wins in the playoffs. I'm not saying it is an optimal formula -- it isn't -- but at least it isn't in the realm of requiring a miracle.

My analyst thinks this thread maay be very helpful for stopping my post game twitching. It seems I don't subscibe to any of the more popular statistical evaluations of the team (pts allowed, yds allowed, w-l record, etc).

Methods I use to evaluate how well the team is playing are counting the # of items I've thrown at the TV after giving up a first down on a 3rd & long combined with counting the # of handfulls of hair I've pulled out seeing wide open receivers make easy 1st downs and long runs after defenders go for the "big bang" instead any attempt of wrap-up tacking.

Straggler, agreed -- especially last night. It's been a while since the "but don't break" part of the Pats' D has been on display so clearly as last night.

I am still of the opinion that the big tests are ahead though -- that's if they keep up the good performances against bad teams.

Only if they were top 10 in yards given up. ;)

Let's be honest though, they've feasted on some cupcakes the last two weeks.

I still think they need to improve on 3rd down and in the red zone, especially against better competition. At this point, they look to be somewhere between awful and mediocre. But, we won't find out the truth until the playoffs. Hell, maybe they WILL be a good defense at that point. It's too early to call at this point though.

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone saying the Patriots defense is mediocre I just take issue with those who use stats to make the case that they suck but then dismiss important stats when they suggest otherwise, which is exactly what the Borges contingent on this board does.

The best case scenario for the Patriots this season is and has been that Belichik changed scheme and alot of personal because he knew what they had if he stood pat wasn't going to get it done, and those changes, along with a slew of injuries hascaused them to really struggle at times and flat out suck at some other times. However they are slowly coming together and have the potential to be pretty good when all is said and done if they get healthy for the playoffs

If Fletcher and Spikes get healthy their LB corps should be solid come January, and if mcCourty and Chung are back then they really only have one hole in the defense and that is the other safety. Some serious ifs but really no different than the rest of the league, and the door to the SB should be wide open given the flaws so many other teams have.

Now I guess it's time to go to the Green Bay message boards to see how the game has passed McCarthy and Capers by and read how CHFF has ruled out their SB chances because the opposing passer ratings are too high to overcome, as well as their dissertation on how much better Tebow is than Peyton Manning, an argument some here would no doubt embrace.

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone saying the Patriots defense is mediocre I just take issue with those who use stats to make the case that they suck but then dismiss important stats when they suggest otherwise, which is exactly what the Borges contingent on this board does.

You don't need stats to see that the defense sucks.

I'm happy that they've done their job, but I certainly wouldn't look forward to playing a competent offense.

I'm happy that they've done their job, but I certainly wouldn't look forward to playing a competent offense.

They have played some decent offenses so far.....How many really GOOD offenses are there in their schedule ? The Pat's D has been decimated and they still have a 7-3 record....

Let's see what happens in the playoffs......they'll play the best again....

Every team has it's weaknesses this year...even GB with it's D....

Which is it? They either "suck" or they are getting the job done, you can't have it both ways.

People needs to give this defense a break..They barely had the intended starting defense on the same field this season. They have played decently against alot of good offenses. Are they the ravens or 49ers? Nope! Are they in the middle of the pack in the NFL? Yes!

without looking into any further numbers, I'd say that although I don't thnk we're a top-10 D, we're somewhere in the 14-18 range.

It's promising to move into a top-10 scoring defense, and that's been with some halfway decent competition so far.

They started off terribly slow, and had to face some pretty tough teams early on (even the first 3 games were tough, when looking at the circumstances).

In the past 7 games, which is almost 1/2 a season exactly, the defense has buckled down, down a much better job, and only given up 17.7 ppg, which is remarkable when faced with so many key injuries.

Do I think they are ready to be an elite defense, hell no. But I do think that they are progressing tremendously, and that is definitely something to build on and hope for into the rest of the season.

We will get a good feel for this defense on Sunday, one way or another. I think if they can keep it to the early 20's, we have a decent shot at winning vs Philly.

Which is it? They either "suck" or they are getting the job done, you can't have it both ways.

No, I definitely can.

This is not a top 10 D. But hardly 32nd too.

You look at the AFC and what offense do we need to really slow down then it's the Steelers and i'm still pretty confident that we can do it when we meet them again. HOU - just lost their QB so god knows, Ravens - Flacco,rookie WR is best weapon, Jets - Sanchize(nuff said) When it comes to the AFC i think we are in a strong position to make a SB run even with this D.

vs the Packers...i'm not sure what's going on with them but that D is not the 2010 version. They are very beatable.

of course...the Pats are horrible....if only we had a defense like the great Rex Ryan's!!!!

I heard Colin Cowherd say it so it must be TRUE....the Pats are below average except they have Brady..,..and just like JetFan1 tried to warn us all...all FIFTY THREE Jets on the roster are far superior to any players the Patriots have and Brady is in his twilight...so I guess it's finally time to jump ship and become a Jets fan....before we all miss the boat!!!

But...can't migrate over to the Gangrene with this login....I'll have to dream up a super duperest Jet handle...like Postman Pete or Jolly Green Giant Fan(two teams for the price of one!!!)....jump on board...before you miss the flight!!!

This is not a top 10 defense...not the worst either. Our defense's PPG will continue to get better with this week schedule coming up. I hope announcers and everyone else continue to say well they played well vs weak defenses and haven't proved anything and doubt the defense....Our defense will feel disrespected(whether the doubters are right or wrong) and play inspired football which is what this team needs. They need to feel disrespected or we're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes