PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots officially a top 10 Defense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you like the sample size to be?? 16 games? 32 Games? 64 games? Do we judge the 85 Bears by 1984 and 1986?

they are almost 2/3 of the way through the season, at some point you have to use the data you have been given.

You like definitions, here you go.

In statistics, a sample is a subset of a population. Typically, the population is very large, making a census or a complete enumeration of all the values in the population impractical or impossible. The sample represents a subset of manageable size. Samples are collected and statistics are calculated from the samples so that one can make inferences or extrapolations from the sample to the population.

How about a sample size of 16 - the # of AFC teams?

Among the 16 teams in the AFC that started out 11 weeks ago with identical records and salary cap restrictions, the Patriots have scored the most points in the AFC which is the only statistic they use in a game to determine who wins and who loses.

Bill Belichick says there are three statistics he cares about: the score, turnovers, and red zone efficiency (offensive and defensive, so maybe that is four statistics.)

The Patriots have outscored their opponents in 7 of 10 games tying them for 1st in the AFC with three other teams.

The Patriots are #2 in the AFC in turnover difference (+5) behind only the Texans (also 7-3).

The Patriots defense allows a TD 50% of the time its opponent reaches the red zone - #6 in the AFC. The Patriots offense scores a TD 62% of the time it reaches the red zone - #2 in the AFC.

Infer and extrapolate to your heart's content.

This team gives up big yardage still.They will need Chung next week against the eagles.

Chung and McCourty.

The Patriots defense makes me queasy when they put Julian Edelman at CB and Ross Ventrone at Safety as they did on a few plays last night.

Where's the TUMS?!?

Really? I can't stand that site. They have a bunch of chuckleheads who may or may not have a decent understanding of football. Making armchair analysis based on some arbitrary system, from the tv copy of the game only.

No thanks. I'll take the facts and the facts are 10th in the league in scoring...

Helped immensely by playing the Jets and the Chiefs (who were incompetent on offense even before Palko went under center) in back to back weeks. Last year the defensive ranking was helped the same way by playing some garbage offenses down the stretch only to see the defense break down at the end of the most important game of the season against better competition. Once again, the real moment of truth comes in the playoffs. Just enjoy the wins against the relative garbage teams we have left and hope that the defense can do the same thing in the playoffs against better competition.

Thats why this offense has to execute much better.I still dont trust this defense in a big spot.Thats gonna be the playoffs

Thats why this offense has to execute much better.I still dont trust this defense in a big spot.Thats gonna be the playoffs
The New England Patriots came out flat in the first half yet managed to win 34-3. Meanwhile, the New York Jets came out flat in the first half against Denver and eventually lost the game.

Last edited:
Yes but they where fortunate it was the chiefs!!!Cant do that against better teams.

Yes but they where fortunate it was the chiefs!!!Cant do that against better teams.
While Denver is soooooooooo much better with backup Tim Tebow at quarterback!

Helped immensely by playing the Jets and the Chiefs (who were incompetent on offense even before Palko went under center) in back to back weeks. Last year the defensive ranking was helped the same way by playing some garbage offenses down the stretch only to see the defense break down at the end of the most important game of the season against better competition. Once again, the real moment of truth comes in the playoffs. Just enjoy the wins against the relative garbage teams we have left and hope that the defense can do the same thing in the playoffs against better competition.

My response to that is three fold.

1) I don't blame the Jets playoff loss on the defense. They gave up big plays, but they held on a short field that led to a missed field goal to begin the game. Gave up a TD on a short field after a botched fake punt etc....

2) They have played well for the better part of 6 weeks now against some decent offenses.

3) Folks act as if other teams in the top 10 haven't benefited from playing bad offenses. Its not just New England that gets to play **** teams.

Last edited:
Geez there's a lot of bullshît being thrown back and forth in this thread.

When dealing with an isolated season benchmarks at 4, 8, 12 & 16 games is more then enough to construct an informed opinion on the basis of sample size.

Looking forward to having confidence intervals presented with a .99% P-level.

#10 in points allowed + #32 in yardage given up= #21 rated defense*,
asterik is for emerging improvement.

BRING THE LOVE!!!

ryan.gif

Should we start a new thread for Love like we have for Gronk... "the Official LOVED Thread"? Man, that guy got LOVED real hard!!!

Aaron Rodgers would destroy this defense in the Super Bowl. Pats better hope the Pack don't make it there

Tom Brady would also eat up the so-called Packers Defense, too. What a Shootout Superbowl. It would be settled by a FG, 59-56 !!

I hate to cherry-pick stats but since the Bills debacle the Pats are allowing 17.7 ppg.

Their defense is far from dominant, but allowing less than 18ppg over 7 games in this league is not too shabby at all.

In this day and age, I wonder if the 85 Bears would allow less than 16ppg.

The Texans are # 1 in defense, helped immensely by playing a schedule filled with incompetent, make pretend, NFL quarterbacks and teams. The few decent QBs they played lit them up and they lost 3 out of four (and I'm being generous claiming Campbell is decent). But yet, all we hear about is how good the Texans are. So if the Texan defense is good based on their opponents............. then let's give the Pats some credit.

Last edited:
The Texans are # in defense, helped immensely by playing a schedule filled with incompetent, make pretend, NFL quarterbacks and teams. The few decent QBs they played lit them up and they lost 3 out of four (and I'm being generous claiming Campbell is decent). But yet, all we hear about is how good the Texans are. So if the Texan defense is good based on their opponents............. then let's give the Pats some credit.
Sfpat it seems that you're well aware that the same objective rating for the performance of a defense is not applied league-wide. Funny that isn't it?

There are no truly great defenses in the NFL this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3