PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Offense - A plethora of riches??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots passing game is going to be something special to watch this year, imho. On one hand, you have TEs Gronkowski and Bennett. On the other hand, you are at least 3 deep in quality WRs in Edelman, Amendola and Hogan. And if one or more of Washington, Mitchell, Lucien pan out, you'll have a corps that is 4-5 deep.. Something that is unheard of..

This will truly allow the Patriots to be so flexible on offense that on one play a 2 TE set that features Gronk and Bennett or that features Edelman and whomever else is on the field. Or they could use it to run.

I haven't been this excited about the potential of this offense since the Pats "traded"/signed Welker and then traded for Randy Moss.

I truly hope people don't say "Brady has no weapons" since even likely 3rd string TE Clay Harbor and FA signing Nate Washington can do damage to opposing teams..

Not to burst your bubble or crap on your excitement, but I could give two flips how great and easy it will be for Brady in the regular season, with 70% of teams in cap hell or rebuilding, etc, and with the rules making it so easy to move the ball and Goodell wanting the Jaguars in London.

We all know this club goes no worse than 12-4 for those reasons. It's what happens in the title game and the SB, is what matters.

What I want to see is balance and limited shotgun spread crap in January and hopefully February.

Stack the TEs and mix in some 2 back sets with Brady under Center and run it more than usual, all the way to Houston.

Brady can shred 80% of these defenses half drunk and blindfolded because Ds play zone or can't match up personnel wise. We get it. This has been going on for 10 years and we get how the personnel supports that he generally wants to do that at will, but it's those key moments in the tougher match ups, where Brady needs to scale it back with McDaniels and play smarter and use more traditional sets. Brady is far better with it against the better Ds. Against the mediocre or bad Ds, he can drop back times in a row in the shotgun spread and tee off on a D.

Think vs Cincy in Week 5 of 2014.

They went into KC and KC was waiting for it. We can't have that trap set anymore and the Pats being completely oblivious to it. Teams gameplan for it and practice it all week, playing their own little personal SB with it. I am sick of it.

What I want to see is more of a traditional offense that at least dictates instead of being dictated to. I fully realize the offense last year had some injury issues, but this McDaniels/Brady in-game problem in title games and SBs, goes back a decade.

Enough.

No real fan cares about stats.

PS Bennett is a massive upgrade over Chandler because when he is on the field he can block as well as he can catch, so Ds won't know what is up. Brady and McD need to take advantage of that.

I realize part of your post acknowledges this, but it's what they do in the title game and SB against the good/great Ds, or maybe Seattle midseason or another good/great D, where I'll find that litmust test. Roll up the sleeves and step on their throat. Tired of this crap tapdancing around the obvious.

Brady is the best playaction QB ever, even if the greatest QB ever. Use it.

Last edited:
We were on a pace to be amazing before we lost our LT and the most dynamic player in football for the first 6 games. And all we've done is add talent at WR, TE and RB. Our line still concerns me but if we can give Brady time we might have a better offense than 2007.

as long as brady is under center!!!!

Not to burst your bubble or crap on your excitement, but I could give two flips how great and easy it will be for Brady in the regular season, with 70% of teams in cap hell or rebuilding, etc, and with the rules making it so easy to move the ball and Goodell wanting the Jaguars in London.

We all know this club goes no worse than 12-4 for those reasons. It's what happens in the title game and the SB, is what matters.

What I want to see is balance and limited shotgun spread crap in January and hopefully February.

Stack the TEs and mix in some 2 back sets with Brady under Center and run it more than usual, all the way to Houston.

Brady can shred 80% of these defenses half drunk and blindfolded because Ds play zone or can't match up personnel wise. We get it. This has been going on for 10 years and we get how the personnel supports that he generally wants to do that at will, but it's those key moments in the tougher match ups, where Brady needs to scale it back with McDaniels and play smarter and use more traditional sets. Brady is far better with it against the better Ds. Against the mediocre or bad Ds, he can drop back times in a row in the shotgun spread and tee off on a D.

Think vs Cincy in Week 5 of 2014.

They went into KC and KC was waiting for it. We can't have that trap set anymore and the Pats being completely oblivious to it. Teams gameplan for it and practice it all week, playing their own little personal SB with it. I am sick of it.

What I want to see is more of a traditional offense that at least dictates instead of being dictated to. I fully realize the offense last year had some injury issues, but this McDaniels/Brady in-game problem in title games and SBs, goes back a decade.

Enough.

No real fan cares about stats.

PS Bennett is a massive upgrade over Chandler because when he is on the field he can block as well as he can catch, so Ds won't know what is up. Brady and McD need to take advantage of that.

I realize part of your post acknowledges this, but it's what they do in the title game and SB against the good/great Ds, or maybe Seattle midseason or another good/great D, where I'll find that litmust test. Roll up the sleeves and step on their throat. Tired of this crap tapdancing around the obvious.

Brady is the best playaction QB ever, even if the greatest QB ever. Use it.

I see what you are saying and I agree to an extent. It all depends on the OL and the pass rushers though. If they have an OL that can block a bit it makes play action possible which is one of the things Brady does best. However if the pass rush is too good or the OL can't block well enough sometimes you can't spare the time it takes to drop back and you are better off starting from the spread. Brady does both well.

What I want to see from this team is the following.

#1 Run the ball as much as possible and particularly against bad teams. We don't need to win 40-10. I am fine with 20-10 if it means we shorten the game and limit the snaps of Brady and co. As long as you can win this way do it. Sometimes you will need to lean on Brady in the regular season but there is no need for him to pass 40 times a game to bottom feeders.

#2 Limit Lewis as much as possible. While Gronk/Edelman/Bennett are all going to be huge on offense this year if there was one guy i would focus on limiting it would be Lewis. Lewis is simply not big enough to play 19 full games and not get injured. He will never do it. Freak injuries happen but if you don't need him don't put him in. White or Brown if he makes it have proven to be serviceable. DJ Foster even might be okay. When Lewis is healthy is is special. Keep him that way if you can. A full work load will make this not happen. Frankly I would be okay not playing him till January.

#3 Use your depth. IMO the Pats have 4 play makers and match up problems (Gronk/Bennett/Edelman/Lewis) and then some other good options that are decent but not as good. However the depth can fill holes well. For Edelman you have Hogan/Amendola. For Lewis you have White or someone else. For Gronk and Bennett play just 1 at a time and don't be afraid to throw in Harbor. You have guys who play similar games behind them that can fill their spots and keep the offense the same. Use it.

Ideally most of the time I would prefer not to see more than 2 on the field. Edelman/Bennett with other decent options should make it possible to move the ball okay for instance. If you absolutely need to have it you can always put all 4 in if it is close in the 4th but unless you need to don't do it. You built a good defense so rely on it and you built good depth so rely on it.

Last edited:
They may be better off without the dominant Randy Moss type of WR. IMO Brady developed bad habits trying to force the ball to Moss

He is much better when his favorite receiver is the one who is open
His favorite receiver has always been the one who is open. Moss, Gronk, Edelman and welker get the ball a lot because they are open a lot.

I see what you are saying and I agree to an extent. It all depends on the OL and the pass rushers though. If they have an OL that can block a bit it makes play action possible which is one of the things Brady does best. However if the pass rush is too good or the OL can't block well enough sometimes you can't spare the time it takes to drop back and you are better off starting from the spread. Brady does both well.

What I want to see from this team is the following.

#1 Run the ball as much as possible and particularly against bad teams. We don't need to win 40-10. I am fine with 20-10 if it means we shorten the game and limit the snaps of Brady and co. As long as you can win this way do it. Sometimes you will need to lean on Brady in the regular season but there is no need for him to pass 40 times a game to bottom feeders.

#2 Limit Lewis as much as possible. While Gronk/Edelman/Bennett are all going to be huge on offense this year if there was one guy i would focus on limiting it would be Lewis. Lewis is simply not big enough to play 19 full games and not get injured. He will never do it. Freak injuries happen but if you don't need him don't put him in. White or Brown if he makes it have proven to be serviceable. DJ Foster even might be okay. When Lewis is healthy is is special. Keep him that way if you can. A full work load will make this not happen. Frankly I would be okay not playing him till January.

#3 Use your depth. IMO the Pats have 4 play makers and match up problems (Gronk/Bennett/Edelman/Lewis) and then some other good options that are decent but not the as good. However the depth can fill holes well. For Edelman you have Hogan/Amendola. For Lewis you have White or someone else. For Gronk and Bennett play just 1 at a time and don't be afraid to throw in Harbor. You have guys who play similar games behind them that can fill their spots and keep the offense the same. Use it.

Ideally most of the time I would prefer not to see more than 2 on the field. Edelman/Bennett with other decent options should make it possible to move the ball okay for instance. If you absolutely need to have it you can always put all 4 in if it is close in the 4th but unless you need to don't do it. You built a good defense so rely on it and you build good depth so rely on it.
I can't agree with a plan that says don't use your best players.

The Patriots passing game is going to be something special to watch this year, imho. On one hand, you have TEs Gronkowski and Bennett. On the other hand, you are at least 3 deep in quality WRs in Edelman, Amendola and Hogan. And if one or more of Washington, Mitchell, Lucien pan out, you'll have a corps that is 4-5 deep.. Something that is unheard of..

This will truly allow the Patriots to be so flexible on offense that on one play a 2 TE set that features Gronk and Bennett or that features Edelman and whomever else is on the field. Or they could use it to run.

I haven't been this excited about the potential of this offense since the Pats "traded"/signed Welker and then traded for Randy Moss.

I truly hope people don't say "Brady has no weapons" since even likely 3rd string TE Clay Harbor and FA signing Nate Washington can do damage to opposing teams..
Hey DaB's love the enthusiasm and sick of the off the field drama discussions... That said, last year way later than this people were complaining about too many OL and hailing the "rotation". Otherwise l like this. Carry on.

They still won't pay $5m/yr for a RB

The list of " they will never " that Belichick has broken is pretty lengthy. Belichick will bring in top players if he can get a deal he likes and it will help him win Lombardi. I don't think the obstacle with Charles would be the corntact I think it will be the knee. If the medical checks out and the Chefs will take a conditional pick based on playing time I think he would do it. 5 million is half of what the top RBs are getting and Charles is a dual threat RB. While I don't think the odds of him ending up here are in our favor I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

The list of " they will never " that Belichick has broken is pretty lengthy. Belichick will bring in top players if he can get a deal he likes and it will help him win Lombardi. I don't think the obstacle with Charles would be the corntact I think it will be the knee. If the medical checks out and the Chefs will take a conditional pick based on playing time I think he would do it. 5 million is half of what the top RBs are getting and Charles is a dual threat RB. While I don't think the odds of him ending up here are in our favor I certainly wouldn't rule it out.
I think it's pretty cut n dry that as long as TB is throwing the ball 600 times and the playmaking money is being spent at the QB, WR and TE positions, consuming $5m in cap space at RB will not happen.

Last time the did it was 2005 and it burned them as Dillon's production fell off greatly from the year before.

I think it's pretty cut n dry that as long as TB is throwing the ball 600 times and the playmaking money is being spent at the QB, WR and TE positions, consuming $5m in cap space at RB will not happen.

Last time the did it was 2005 and it burned them as Dillon's production fell off greatly from the year before.

As I did before I wouldn't rule it out. I think there's a strong pull in the organization to go for it this year and wouldn't be surprised if Belichick pulled the trigger on a deal for Charles. 5 million isn't big money in the NFL now and it's a bargain for a player of Charles ability if he's healthy.

As I did before I wouldn't rule it out. I think there's a strong pull in the organization to go for it this year and wouldn't be surprised if Belichick pulled the trigger on a deal for Charles. 5 million isn't big money in the NFL now and it's a bargain for a player of Charles ability if he's healthy.

Coming off an ACL? 30 in December?I dunna know, Ivan. I'm a huge fan of Charles but I can't see them forking that over for him at this point in his career.

Coming off an ACL? 30 in December?I dunna know, Ivan. I'm a huge fan of Charles but I can't see them forking that over for him at this point in his career.

It's only 5 million and it's really low risk high reward because they can release him with no dead money. The two big obstacles, imo, are his medical and The willingness of the Chefs to trade him to a rival for the AFC Championship. The upside is an offense that would literally be unstoppable.

It's only 5 million and it's really low risk high reward because they can release him with no dead money. The two big obstacles, imo, are his medical and The willingness of the Chefs to trade him to a rival for the AFC Championship. The upside is an offense that would literally be unstoppable.
I hear you.

He would get around 150-175 touches in this offense and is great insurance for Lewis.

Only way I do it is incentive laden...

any takers on arian foster?

I hear you.

He would get around 150-175 touches in this offense and is great insurance for Lewis.

Only way I do it is incentive laden...

I think the incentive is already there, they can release him and he loses 7 million for 2017. And they could restructure him if he plays to potential. which is an All Pro RB.

Think about what this offense would be like with Charles and Lewis behind a 2 TE offense with Gronk and Bennett? Combine that with their receiving corps, I pity the fool................

Garoppolo isn't Brady. If they don't get this suspension delayed legally, I see any team with a pass rush just going after GPO on every down and him eating the ball or throwing up for grabs. With both our runners coming off season ending injuries, I don't see a running back who can take advantage of that, do you?

Maybe Donald Brown? That's kind of grasping at straws, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST