PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Offense - A plethora of riches??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really dont care if they sign all 4 guys, I know he will do the best he can... I Just think they can sign all of them, they have the cap to do so. The BB ( ´´obvious pattern``) move was trade Chandler Jones this year...

Well, considering that Jones was one of those "4 guys," I think we're somewhat in agreement.

They are good, they just like to be different ... :p

I have no respect for media like Felger, Mazzarotti, Tanguay, Shaughnessy, and Volin, to name just a few, who deliberately lied and distorted throughout deflategate to smear Brady. They treated Brady like a prop to try to get ratings, publicity , and in Tanguay case a job, although that attempt failed. It's one thing to play contrarian and another altogether to try a destroy someone's reputation to advance your career. These people simply have no ethics, integrity, or shame and Boston sports would be far better off without the garbage they spew.

I know where you're going with this thought, but it would surprise the hell out of me to be honest.

Receiving options (rough order):

Edelman
Gronk
Bennett
Amendola
Lewis
Hogan
Washington
Mitchell (rookie)
Martin/Dobson/Harper/Carter/Lucien/none of the above

For any of the WR5 guys to make an impact, we'd probably have to have some significant missed time from the options in front of him. I think it would be difficult to find a "decent-sized role" in this particular scenario.

So here's the argument.

1. The Pats, even when they play two TEs, need two wide receivers. Edelman and Amendola? Not necessarily. When they had LaFell, they often gave him snaps over DA, not because he was a better player but because he was a different kind of receiver -- more suited to outside and deep routes

2. So who will take that LaFell role? Hogan? But he has to show that he can learn the offense and isn't another Scott Chandler

3. Dobson? He'd be ideal if he were healthy and playing to his potential. But we can't be optimistic about that.

4. Washington? He's 32 years old. I wish him well, but he could easily enough be the next Reggie Wayne.

5. Mitchell? Rookie.

OK, all of those are pretty controversial and neither Martin nor Harper are obvious clones of Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson or A.J. Green, but they have shown me a talent -- for getting open deep and adjusting for the ball in the air -- that I haven't seen from other Patriots wide receivers.

So, yes, it's a long shot, even allowing for the inevitable WR injuries -- probably even longer now that I've thrown my weight behind them and they have to carry the "Curse of Mike" through training camp.

Last edited:
another myth. how can the worst ol go 10-0 and be defending sb champs at the same time?

people were raving about andrews, jackson and mason through early november. once the injuries piled up, it wad all she wrote. 21 players on ir to lead the nfl.

was our ol bad in sb 42 too or was it the predictable ego-riddden shotgun spread addiction where brady feels he needs to put on an aerial show on national tv?

yikes. truth hurts, huh?

Well Brady had a high ankle sprain a couple of days prior to that game and was playing against a great DL

No need to dwell of facts when you are trolling.

Just pure speculation, but my guess is that you see BB and Brady take the hurry up to a whole new level - though I guess a lot of that depends on whether a 39 yr old QB can keep up with that

Still, I think one might make the case that BB has the ability to keep defenses reeling, and Brady healthier, by limiting their time to adjust to any of the following on any given play with so many top tier options on the field for extended periods of "hurry-up" time

• Lewis at RB as both a running and receiving threat
  • Edelman doing what Edelman does
  • Gronk and Bennett potentially replicating Gronk and Hernandez
  • Amendola playing a multi-purpose role - and seeing a lot of catches coming his way as the previous 4 are going to command a lot of defensive attention

BB adapts and changes each year and I think he's quietly assembled an offense with a plan to have a blitzkrieg attack

Lewis IMO is key as we all saw how the game changed last year when he was injured. OL of course needs to do their part but they'll be helped by the hurry up in terms of protecting Brady - but it's also vital for them to hold their own and not require extra TE help on the line.

Although I think they can be fine without a true deep threat (Brady completes enough 20-30 yard long passes to keep D's honest I think) it'd be a lot better if they could find a guy who could truly stretch the field too - so I'll be keeping my eye on that during camp

THAT could really put them in the realm of a 2007 potent offense, without relying on primarily just 2 players (Moss and Welker) which, when they have a "must make" play, makes the play-calling too predictable - but with "the open man" making the big play when needed

And really if you look at the spread last year with Amendola, Edelman, and Gronk all pretty close in catches (and even Lewis factoring in missed games), they're already primed to go this route

Seems to me that the Pats haven't used the hurry up quite as much since peaking in 2012 - probably because they had Gronk and Hernandez on the field together - but also BB knows it's a copy cat league so is always changing it up as other Ds adapt to his new offense.

Same thing with having a RB by committee of role players - an approach I think somewhat pioneered by BB in this era eventually copied by more teams- but now with a guy like Lewis on the team who can mix things up as a receiver, BB has the ability to keep him on the field and leave Ds wondering what's coming - and from where.

Lots of factors including health and the ability of all these guys to play their roles, but I'd agree we're looking at a team that could peak at just the right time - with Brady perhaps even aided in the hurry-up long-run with a 4 game rest to start the season.

So, again, just a guess, but I see the personnel to run a high caliber hurry-up offense to exhaust opposing Ds and make other owners curse Brady and Belichick

Last edited:
So here's the argument.

1. The Pats, even when they play two TEs, need two wide receivers. Edelman and Amendola? Not necessarily. When they had LaFell, they often gave him snaps over DA, not because he was a better player but because he was a different kind of receiver -- more suited to outside and deep routes

2. So who will take that LaFell role? Hogan? But he has to show that he can learn the offense and isn't another Scott Chandler

3. Dobson? He'd be ideal if he were healthy and playing to his potential. But we can't be optimistic about that.

4. Washington? He's 32 years old. I wish him well, but he could easily enough be the next Reggie Wayne.

5. Mitchell? Rookie.

OK, all of those are pretty controversial and neither Martin nor Harper are obvious clones of Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson or A.J. Green, but they have shown me a talent -- for getting open deep and adjusting for the ball in the air -- that I haven't seen from other Patriots wide receivers.

So, yes, it's a long shot, even allowing for the inevitable WR injuries -- probably even longer now that I've thrown my weight behind them and they have to carry the "Curse of Mike" through training camp.

Of all the new plethora Hogan actually strikes me as the most solid week 1 addition. He's strong, he can go inside, outside, middle which can be perfect in combination with prime options needing special coverage.

We are all excited to get pure X out of rookies (or Dobsons resurrection) but that might take some time (so Washington and Martin are still realistic options for the start of the season)

So here's the argument.

5. Mitchell? Rookie.

The roles La Fell was good at can be replaced by a tight end. The roles he was not good at [deep receiver] could be taken by Washington or Keshawn Martin. the point being, if we have a deep receiver, he wpuld be replacing no one because Lafell was horrible in that role.

I think it looks like they have good depth and that doesn't include Dobson, who doesn't seem to care much [just my impression]

I think it's pretty cut n dry that as long as TB is throwing the ball 600 times and the playmaking money is being spent at the QB, WR and TE positions, consuming $5m in cap space at RB will not happen.

Last time the did it was 2005 and it burned them as Dillon's production fell off greatly from the year before.

Thing about Charles is, he can be cut next year for nothing.

The roles La Fell was good at can be replaced by a tight end. The roles he was not good at [deep receiver] could be taken by Washington or Keshawn Martin. the point being, if we have a deep receiver, he wpuld be replacing no one because Lafell was horrible in that role.

I think it looks like they have good depth and that doesn't include Dobson, who doesn't seem to care much [just my impression]

Yes, I agree. The depth is very good, but there are question marks almost everywhere -- either health or the fact that people are coming new to the offense. But somewhere in all that, they should be able to put together an offense good enough to throw the dirt back in Goodell's ignorant, smarmy face. I can't tell you how much I'd enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back