PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots held private workout with FSU WR Kelvin Benjamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it ludicrous how much lover their is for Benjamin in this thread just based on the fact that he's as big as a house. The NFL has seen plenty of big WRs who have been busts:

- Mike Williams, USC (2005): one of Matt Millen's infamous 3 consecutive top 10 WR picks. 6' 4 5/8" 231#. Ran a 4.56 40 with a 6.98 3-cone. 38.5" VJ, 10'3" BJ. Was a total bust in the NFL - IIRC, he didn't even make it in the CFL.

- Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh (2011): 6' 4 3/8" 228# with 4.49 speed and a 42" vertical. 10'9" BJ, 7.07 3C. Was a bust with Kansas City, traded to SF, hasn't done anything in 3 seasons.

- Ramses Barden, Cal Poly (2009). 6'6" 221# WR with 4.51 speed, which got him drafted in the 3rd round by the Giants. Didn't put up more than 220 receiving yards in any of his 4 seasons with Giants, and hasn't scored a TD in the NFL. Sat out all of 2013, recently signed with Buffalo.

Not to mention Limas Sweed, Dwayne Jarrett, and others. If being tall and running a sub-4.6 40 was all it took, these guys would be stars.

I was about to reply telling you not to forget Limas Sweed, then I read the last paragraph. I really think you should put him twice, or at least lead with him. Holy **** he was terrible. The floor for a guy like Kelvin Benjamin--the absolute worst that he can be--has been established, and Limas Sweed is it.

Oh crist, My excitement is as big as my relutence.

I mean, another WR being drafted by the pats. It has worked so well in the past...............................

I want us to upgrade at WR I really do but I would be disappointed if it's our 1st pick sans trade back

I was about to reply telling you not to forget Limas Sweed, then I read the last paragraph. I really think you should put him twice, or at least lead with him. Holy **** he was terrible. The floor for a guy like Kelvin Benjamin--the absolute worst that he can be--has been established, and Limas Sweed is it.

The thing is, it's easy to get sucked into the size argument, especially when you see a guy dominating at the college level. I remember watching Mike Williams at USC and being blown away by a guy with that size, and thinking what a stud he would be. I remember Limas Sweed coming out in 2008 - he looked dominant at times at Texas. The Pats met with him, IIRC, and there was some hope that he might slip to us at 62. It's relatively easy for a big, tall receiver to dominate at the college level. At the NFL level, it's not so simple.

:confused:

All I hear is "he's bigger than a CB and faster than a LB". Whoopee. It takes more than that to be successful.

Really. Thanks for that. Please feel free to continue my football education.

1. Who has expressed "love" for Benjamin. At most there's been expressions of interest and intrigue.

2. Who has said that the only aspect of Benjamin's game that makes him a success is his size? It's certainly an important aspect of his value, just as Easley's advantage is his speed. Players win because of their advantage so that's what tends to be discussed.

3. Who has said that he's a "complete package"?

You made up arguments to argue against. That's the definition of a straw man argument.

Now, here are some real arguments for you to argue against:

1. BB has shown an interest in getting bigger at the WR spot.

2. He's personally worked out Benjamin with six other assistants and coaches. They've also had contact with Evans and Coleman. There is clear interest at some level. By the by, as I noted earlier Jon Baldwin isn't necessarily a good argument against BB drafting Benjamin.

So in light of the clear interest, some of us have debated what Benjamin's value to the Patriot's would be. That seems a sensible thing to do. Some of us recognise that this team lacked size over the middle last year and recognise that Benjamin's size is a potential asset. Why might it be an asset? Because he's bigger than most DBs and faster than a lot of linebackers.

If you are not interested in discussing Benjamin, fine, don't. But don't disrespect those of us who do want to discuss him.

Really. Thanks for that. Please feel free to continue my football education.

If you are not interested in discussing Benjamin, fine, don't. But don't disrespect those of us who do want to discuss him.

I have no idea why your panties are so ruffled today. No one's disrespected you. I've expressed an opinion. Apparently that's no longer allowed.

Have a nice day.

Sounds like a ****ens character.

If we wind up not taking Benjamin, I sure wouldn't mind taking a chance on Martavis Bryant from Clemson. Reminds me of Randy Moss, he's 6'5" 210, and ran a 4.34 and 4.36 at the Combine. The Clemson scouting staff claimed that Bryant had the most potential of ANY of their receivers, and that included Sammy Watkins. I rather Bryant over Coleman. Of course, Bryant is a project, not as accomplished as many of the receivers in the draft, but I'd love to snag him in the 3rd round if Benjamin isn't an option.

If we wind up not taking Benjamin, I sure wouldn't mind taking a chance on Martavis Bryant from Clemson. Reminds me of Randy Moss, he's 6'5" 210, and ran a 4.34 and 4.36 at the Combine. The Clemson scouting staff claimed that Bryant had the most potential of ANY of their receivers, and that included Sammy Watkins. I rather Bryant over Coleman. Of course, Bryant is a project, not as accomplished as many of the receivers in the draft, but I'd love to snag him in the 3rd round if Benjamin isn't an option.

Let him be taken in the 4th round, if you must, but leave my first three rounds alone!

1180A092.jpg

DL
TE
OL

1. BB has shown an interest in getting bigger at the WR spot.

2. He's personally worked out Benjamin with six other assistants and coaches. They've also had contact with Evans and Coleman. There is clear interest at some level. By the by, as I noted earlier Jon Baldwin isn't necessarily a good argument against BB drafting Benjamin.

Couple of points

Don't recall BB saying anything about getting bigger at the WR spot (can't recall him ever saying anything about the teams plan). Please provide a link.

BB working out a prospect has almost no correlation to who he will pick or even has interest, especially if the workout is highly publicized. Since the Pats don't belong to any of the scouting services, they naturally check out many more prospects than they could possibly have interest.

well, one could infer BB wants to get "bigger" by the Dobson pick.

proof??...uh...yeah, Christmas is coming...YOU wait it out

BB checking out prospects and making sure it's KNOWN???

40028714_384x288_generated.jpg

yeah..that's the ticket...sure...

Couple of points

Don't recall BB saying anything about getting bigger at the WR spot (can't recall him ever saying anything about the teams plan). Please provide a link.

BB working out a prospect has almost no correlation to who he will pick or even has interest, especially if the workout is highly publicized. Since the Pats don't belong to any of the scouting services, they naturally check out many more prospects than they could possibly have interest.

He signed LaFell, brought Britt in for a look, and has Harrison on the riser. He clearly is looking for some size.

Let him be taken in the 4th round, if you must, but leave my first three rounds alone!

1180A092.jpg

DL
TE
OL

While I fully agree with you 100%, I may be tempted to consider throwing a S in there as well at some point.

That's just me though. I kind of feel like you did last year in this regard ;)

Couple of points

1. He signed LaFell, brought in Britt on a visit and had contact with Benjamin, Mike Evens and Brandon Coleman. He doesn't have to say it out loud to recognise his interest.

2. Actually there is quite a lot of correlation between who visits and who they pick. It's not an absolute but it's enough that conclusions can be reached by studying their visits.

Sure he can fall to #29, and he could fall deep. Look at the WR depth (Lee, Beckham, Cooks, Robinson, etc, plus Amaro and ASJ at TE). WRs are tough to call. Teams hone in on a particular skill set and a guy like Benjamin gets taken top 20 or he falls to the bottom of round 2.

I'm not going to disagree with the last 17 words of your post, because it could be true. But your argument about specific skill sets essentially falls right into the hands of my post that you quoted. The Ravens are missing that skill set from their WR corps since they lost Boldin. Benjamin would give them and Flacco exactly what that offense needs.

1180A092.jpg

DL
TE
OL

Later than the 4th. We also need a safety.

"Ladies & Gentlemen, starting at TE for your NE Patriots…Kelvin Benjamin?"

Would rather Odell Beckham

They've got the comp pick, so it's 2 picks in the "4th". ;)

Touché. Had completely forgotten about it even thought I included it in my most recent mock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST