PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have 3 of the Top 7 [Mod Edit: RUN BLOCKING, Per PFF] TEs in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped ya with that thread title!

The correct mod edit should have been "Mod Edit: PFF"

Run blocking is what really makes a tight end. Not the bling bling fantasy stats BS.

The correct mod edit should have been "Mod Edit: PFF"

Run blocking is what really makes a tight end. Not the bling bling fantasy stats BS.

1st sentence - - good point, will change it.

2nd sentence - sorry, were that true, Rod Rutledge would have had more of a career. Great TE's do several things well - - not just block.

1st sentence - - good point, will change it.

2nd sentence - sorry, were that true, Rod Rutledge would have had more of a career. Great TE's do several things well - - not just block.

I agree! I over stressed run blocking because all I hear about is stupid fantasy numbers. A real TE does everything.

Everytime I hear about how great this or that tight end is I always have to ask if he can block and not many people know the answer to that. So it's a frustrating how blocking takes a backseat to fantasy stats.

Now, I guess it's possible a few TEs (who are not on this list) could sneak into the "overall" Top 5 with a poor blocking rating but a fantastic pass rating.

I'd say that's an understatement:

Of the top 10 TEs in the league based on receptions, Gronk is the ONLY one on the PFF run-blocking list.
Of the top 10 TEs in the league based on yardage, Gronk is the ONLY one on the PFF run-blocking list.
Of the top 10 TEs in the league based on touchdowns, Gronk is the ONLY one on the PFF run-blocking list.

In other words, the list is solely about PFF's run-blocking assessment...and Gronk is awesome no matter how you measure. :)

I said the objection is well known. I didn't say that it was true.

This post is for those, in some way, who may find some value in PFF ratings.

Let me guess....you're going to continue to harp on PFF anyways, right?

Whatever :rolleyes:
OK, lets just say Williams is the 3rd best TE in the NFL. That makes a lot of sense.
Thank God PFF isn't an NFL GM or we would have had to pay 7 mill a year for Chandler, and Williams wouldn't have been on the waiver wire.

OK, lets just say Williams is the 3rd best TE in the NFL. That makes a lot of sense.
Thank God PFF isn't an NFL GM or we would have had to pay 7 mill a year for Chandler, and Williams wouldn't have been on the waiver wire.

It says that his overall "performance" (after 3 games) is currently ranked 3rd in the NFL. That performance can change over time. Other TEs on other teams could be underutilized or used improperly. Also, injuries could play a factor.

As I mentioned earlier I see this ranking as an indication that we have 3 TEs that are currently performing well..... one in particular is performing extremely well.

So I guess I'll let you continue to comment on your "love" for PFF.

It says that his overall "performance" (after 3 games) is currently ranked 3rd in the NFL. That performance can change over time. Other TEs on other teams could be underutilized or used improperly. Also, injuries could play a factor.

As I mentioned earlier I see this ranking as an indication that we have 3 TEs that are currently performing well..... one in particular is performing extremely well.

You're posting garbage rankings from a garbage site. It's not the responders that are the issue.

Yes, as graded by PFF (detractors need not reply).

1.) Gronk

4.) Williams

7.) Chandler

Good to see Chandler blocking better than he did in Buffalo.

Thanks for the post - different viewpoints are always worthwhile.

You're posting garbage rankings from a garbage site. It's not the responders that are the issue.

Did Hooman sit because Williams is a better blocker? If we only go with 3 TEs will Hooman be inactive a lot? Or is Hooman injured?

If Hooman sat because the Pat's coaches think Williams blocks better, maybe PFF is correct?

Did Hooman sit because Williams is a better blocker? If we only go with 3 TEs will Hooman be inactive a lot? Or is Hooman injured?

If Hooman sat because the Pat's coaches think Williams blocks better, maybe PFF is correct?

I think you're reading far too much into Hooman's sitting.

PFF is irrelevant, but if you've watched the games you'd know that Chandler has been a much better blocker than we were led to believe. Williams has been good as well. And of course, Gronk is a beast.

You seem to not understand that this ranking is being done by people who don't understand football using a bad system to rank with.
If you honestly think that there is only one TE in the NFL besides Gronk who has played better than Williams, we might as well just give up talking about football.

BTW- can anyone please remind me just how we picked up Williams and from whom.

IIRC he was on some team trying to convert to an OT after a career as a TE at Alabama. After giving him back his 80 number, I think the Pats have gotten a lot more snaps out of him than most people would have thought when we picked him up. I will predict right now that before this year is up, Williams will end up being one of the more important FA pick ups we signed.

I see him eventually taking all of Hooman's snaps to the point where he will make his roster spot available if needed down the road. He will also make him easier to replace on the cap for 2016. He is a strong run blocker from the TE position and will help the run game like Flemming did last season. I saw him pass block well yesterday, and we already know he can add the odd catch or two without embarrassing himself. Given how often we use 3 TE's every game, that was a pretty valuable pick up so late in the team building

I see him eventually taking all of Hooman's snaps to the point where he will make his roster spot available if needed down the road.

Watch Mason at FB for clues. Hooman is the closest TE to a FB on the roster, so Mason working that position more comfortably is likely to be a key.

BTW- can anyone please remind me just how we picked up Williams and from whom.

Detroit, and I don't know, but I doubt it was much. Probably a 7th in 2016 or something like that.

Watch Mason at FB for clues. Hooman is the closest TE to a FB on the roster, so Mason working that position more comfortably is likely to be a key.

When Devlin got injured, I thought Hooman or Mason seemed like the logical choice to fill the fullback duties and it looks like Mason gets the role for now. With Gronk and Chandler the two main TE's. I lost track of Hooman's role. I know they have 3 and 4 TE groupings on the field but I don't know if Hooman plays as the 3rd TE or is just on the field in the 4 TE grouping. Can anybody fill me in on what Hooman's role is now?

Edit: Just looked over Reiss article on snaps for each player from the Jag's game. Looks like Williams is the 3rd TE.

Last edited:
gronk's also the best blocking te, incredible player.

Who is the worst? That block by Wright the other day certainly didn't help his rank

Give Belichick credit where credit is due ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back