Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Team jelling despite loss of stars, and future foes Colts, Bears should worry
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15414618/
One glance at the remaining schedules of the unbeaten Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts, and there is one game that sticks out as a major hurdle for each. Funny thing, it’s against the same team, the New England Patriots.

The Colts have to go to Foxborough on Nov. 5, and the Bears have to go to Foxborough on Nov. 26.

Isn’t it amazing how Bill Belichick can manipulate these things?
-----
If Brady is playing in Miami in February, don’t act like you haven’t been warned.

In their only previous prime-time engagement, the Patriots lost to the Denver Broncos on a September on Sunday night. It was their only loss, and it only served to verify suspicions that this would not be another one of those Patriots years. It must have been part of the Belichick plot.

Once again, our futility against the Broncos gets overlooked by the national media. Yeah it was just one loss- 1 of 3 within 12 months and 1 of 9 within 11 years against Shanahan. I hope somebody catches on b/c we always seem to be the "favorites" against this team, no matter how many times we lose. Make no mistake, the toughest team we will have to beat come playoff time won't be Chicago OR Indy.

richpats said:
Once again, our futility against the Broncos gets overlooked by the national media. Yeah it was just one loss- 1 of 3 within 12 months and 1 of 9 within 11 years against Shanahan. I hope somebody catches on b/c we always seem to be the "favorites" against this team, no matter how many times we lose. Make no mistake, the toughest team we will have to beat come playoff time won't be Chicago OR Indy.

I just don't get this deification of the Broncos. They have only won 1 game against us that mattered recently, and that game was rife with personnel and officiating issues.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, but Jake Plummer 2006 is no Trent Dilfer.

Wasn't it just a month ago that all the experts claimed the Patriots were "done", ripe for the taking etc. etc. etc. Brady's "body language" proclaimed how unhappy he was...what a bunch of morons.:rolleyes:

And, come April, we'll have more quality draft picks on draft day than any other team. This team is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Flying Fungi said:
I just don't get this deification of the Broncos. They have only won 1 game against us that mattered recently, and that game was rife with personnel and officiating issues.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, but Jake Plummer 2006 is no Trent Dilfer.

Before Week 3 I didn't think much of Denver's recent history against us, but then their QB came in to OUR house off 2 crappy games and lit it up, only to revert back to crappy play ever since. Now if that isn't indication of a weird anomaly between Denver/NE then I don't know what is.

No doubt Denver won't win a Super Bowl this year- Plummer can't get up to play anybody BUT the Patriots. The only way we'd meet them is in the wild-card round or if we have to travel to the Rockies for a divisional game like last year. 2 scenarios I doubt will happen.

Flying Fungi said:

Help me out here. Is that sarcasm?

shmessy said:
Help me out here. Is that sarcasm?

Yeah, really- unless somebody is a youngster or hasn't followed the Pats long, our history against Shanahan is filled with painful defeat after painful defeat, each seeming more painful than the last.

richpats said:
Before Week 3 I didn't think much of Denver's recent history against us, but then their QB came in to OUR house off 2 crappy games and lit it up, only to revert back to crappy play ever since. Now if that isn't indication of a weird anomaly between Denver/NE then I don't know what is.

It's more than just Plummer, of course, but our 2-gap defense with big but not so fast linebackers seems to have a problem with a quarterback who rolls out of the pocket.

Mike the Brit said:
It's more than just Plummer, of course, but our 2-gap defense with big but not so fast linebackers seems to have a problem with a quarterback who rolls out of the pocket.

Exactly. It goes largely unnoticed since we don't play many QBs that do that (Rothleisberger for one, and we have a tough time sacking him). If I had to give somebody a one-word explanation why we have trouble with Denver, it would be SPEED.

BelichickFan said:
And, come April, we'll have more quality draft picks on draft day than any other team. This team is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Bingo we got Bingo!! It amazes me every time a national writer brings up the loss of a player(s) and claims that this is the year that the Pats fall back to mediocrity (during Pre-season). Then that same writer will come back and say its the same old Patriots right there playing good football. Do they watch the draft? Pay attention to how the Patriots stockpile draft picks? Next to Brady/BB/Pioli, it is the primary reason we remain competitive year after year.

BelichickFan said:

Not to mention all our guys young, on contract, and with boatloads of cap space.

richpats said:
Yeah, really- unless somebody is a youngster or hasn't followed the Pats long, our history against Shanahan is filled with painful defeat after painful defeat, each seeming more painful than the last.

unbelieveable

the broncos have beaten the patriots in the playoffs exactly TWO TIMES in NFL history

since 2000, the broncos are 4-2 against the patriots

neither am i a sycophant, nor am i quick to hyperbole

so those 'painful defeat-after-defeat's' number exactly 1 time in the playoffs and 4 in the bandwagon era...hardly 'filled' in my view...

:bricks:

Last edited:
richpats said:
Exactly. It goes largely unnoticed since we don't play many QBs that do that (Rothleisberger for one, and we have a tough time sacking him). If I had to give somebody a one-word explanation why we have trouble with Denver, it would be SPEED.

wrong again--the one word is SHANAHAN

Mike Shanahan is 8-2 against Belichick as head coaches--4-0 in CLE and 4-2 in NE.

The idea that our DL is not set to defend a scrambling QB is wrong--

This same scheme has handled Vick, McNair, Leftwich, McNabb, Garcia, Fiedler, Gannon and a number of other mobile-type QBs. Roethlisberger doesn't go down easily because he is physically very large and strong--hardly a mobile QB, and certainly not the only DL that faces the challenge of tackling a big SOB QB.

Flying Fungi said:
wrong again--the one word is SHANAHAN

Nooo, umm, the one word is chopblock. They are nasty dirty scummy disgusting cheating jerks who wish to really injure people by any means, legal or illegal. They make me wanna puke. Other than that, they're ok, I guess.

Flying Fungi said:
unbelieveable

the broncos have beaten the patriots in the playoffs exactly TWO TIMES in NFL history

since 2000, the broncos are 4-2 against the patriots

neither am i a sycophant, nor am i quick to hyperbole

so those 'painful defeat-after-defeat's' number exactly 1 time in the playoffs and 4 in the bandwagon era...hardly 'filled' in my view...

:bricks:

4 out of the last 5.....yeah, I'd say the Broncos have had our number. Doesn't mean they will in the future (or perhaps, the next time we meet when our WR corps will be more acquainted with Mr. Brady).

Pardon me, but is there any other team in the NFL that we are 1-4 against since 2001?

shmessy said:
4 out of the last 5.....yeah, I'd say the Broncos have had our number. Doesn't mean they will in the future (or perhaps, the next time we meet when our WR corps will be more acquainted with Mr. Brady).

Pardon me, but is there any other team in the NFL that we are 1-4 against since 2001?

2-4

the only teams with winning records against us are DEN and MIA (in the bandwagon era).

I get that schmessy--I just don't buy into them being so scary is all--and I'm not new to the team or the sport. They are a quality opponent that has a coach that rivals our coach--great football and frustrating to be on the losing end of--but no juggernaut are they.

Last edited:
shmessy said:

It's worse - we're 1-5 since '01. 72-17 against everybody else.

As for the Shanahan factor, the guy has lost his last 2 openers against guys who have never coached iin the league before. He lost to teams who had some explosiveness in the front 7.

BelichickFan said:

And for 2007, tons of salary cap room, perhaps more than any team.

Flying Fungi said:
2-4

the only teams with winning records against us are DEN and MIA (in the bandwagon era).

I get that schmessy--I just don't buy into them being so scary is all--and I'm not new to the team or the sport. They are a quality opponent that has a coach that rivals our coach--great football and frustrating to be on the losing end of--but no juggernaut are they.

A little nitpicking on my part here: The 28-19 win over the Broncos in 2000 was in BB's first year (5th game) - -it really wasn't his team at that moment - Brady was on the PS and buried behind John Friesz and Mike Bishop. Andy Katzenmoyer was prowling the LB position.

Brady is 1-4 against Shanny's D's. No other team in football that has played more than one game against him has an .800 winning percentage against Brady. Part of me doesn't want to see them, and part wants to see the Pats stick a dagger in their biggest nemesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back