PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yahoo’s Power Ranking- Pat's record is "hallow"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Yahoo’s Power Ranking- Pat's record is "hallow"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...YF?slug=cr-rankings101006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

According to Yahoo the Pats are the 5th best team in the NFL and with the way they have played I’d say that is about right but I love the comment for the team:

“5. New England Patriots (4-1) – After an inconsistent start this season, cornerback Asante Samuel has been one of the Patriots' best defensive players. However, the team's record is a little hollow, with three of New England's wins coming against divisional teams that are a combined 5-10.â€

I think we all agree that the Pats have looked very uneven and have yet to play a complete game – the Cincinnati game was close – but to say the record is “hallow†because of the level of their opponents is a joke. Let’s look at the rest of the top 10 according to Yahoo.

1. Chicago Bears (5-0) – Chicago has looked great. They have destroyed teams they played but like NE three of their wins came against divisional teams (GB, DET and MIN) and their combined record is 4-11.

2. Indianapolis Colts (5-0) – Combine record of ALL opponents that they beat is 8-15.

3. Philadelphia Eagles (4-1) – Philly should be 5-0 but they are 4-1 and the records of the teams they beat: 6-12

4. Seattle Seahawks (3-1) – This one I love. Seahawks 3 wins came against teams that are a combined 3-11. That’s quality.

5. New England Patriots (4-1)

6. Cincinnati Bengals (3-1) – Wins against KC (2-2), Cleveland (1-4) and Pittsburgh (1-3)

7. Denver Broncos (3-1) – Offense has been pitiful but the have beat “winnersâ€. Record of teams they beat (KC, NE and Baltimore) is 11-4. Their only loss is to the 4-1 St Louis Rams.

8. Baltimore Ravens (4-1) – Wins over 0-4 TB, 0-4 OAK and 1-4 CLE. Their win over 3-1 SD is looking like a fluke.

9. Atlanta Falcons (3-1) – Beat one winning team – 3-2 Carolina but it’s other two wins are against the 0-4 Bucs and the 1-4 Cardinals.

10. San Diego Chargers (3-1) – Combined record of the 3 teams they beat is 1-12.

Like I said – I have no problem with the ranking. I think 5th is more than fair but don’t say the Pats wins were against crappy teams because, except for Denver everyone has played against crappy teams.

Re: Yahoo’s Power Ranking- Pat's record is "hallow"

Well said. Of course he doesn't mention how the Colt's wins have come against teams that are 8-15 combined. If the Pat's record is hollow, so is the Colts. And that's not a jab against the Colts - it's a call for consistency on the part of Robinson.

I would put more stock in a division win against an average to below average team than a non-division win against a average to an above average team. The teams play each other twice a year so the familiarity is on another level. Especially in our division where two of the three coaches used to coach under BB.

Last edited:

Looks like Denver has played the best quality opponents. I think the Broncs could be a factor. Unless Plummer blows up, which is always a big question-mark.

If it's okay with you I'd like to send an e-mail to him about the point that you've brought up.

On the subject, I think 5th is is a good place for us too. Not too high, not too low, while we have not played a complete game, I think our production on both sides of the ball is better than what I what expected. When the passing game comes online, I can see us being a top 3 team, alongside with Chicago and San Diego.

Robinson is the same jerk who was calling Patriots fans "whiny" in the offseason.

I think hallow is a fine word to associate with the Patriots. :p

yeah, all you ever hear about the Pats is that they haven't beaten everybody while people were annointing Baltimore (which sucks, btw) the top team in the AFC. Well it's easy to go undefeated when you play two winless teams, a team who defeated Oakland for their only win, and you have Marty trying his hardest (and succeeding) to lose a game. They met a good team last night and lost soundly.

every top team has at least two crappy teams, some three, under their belts already. The sheer number of bad teams is actually quite alarming.

shatch62 said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...YF?slug=cr-rankings101006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

According to Yahoo the Pats are the 5th best team in the NFL and with the way they have played I’d say that is about right but I love the comment for the team:

“5. New England Patriots (4-1) – After an inconsistent start this season, cornerback Asante Samuel has been one of the Patriots' best defensive players. However, the team's record is a little hollow, with three of New England's wins coming against divisional teams that are a combined 5-10.â€

I think we all agree that the Pats have looked very uneven and have yet to play a complete game – the Cincinnati game was close – but to say the record is “hallow†because of the level of their opponents is a joke. Let’s look at the rest of the top 10 according to Yahoo.

1. Chicago Bears (5-0) – Chicago has looked great. They have destroyed teams they played but like NE three of their wins came against divisional teams (GB, DET and MIN) and their combined record is 4-11.

2. Indianapolis Colts (5-0) – Combine record of ALL opponents that they beat is 8-15.

3. Philadelphia Eagles (4-1) – Philly should be 5-0 but they are 4-1 and the records of the teams they beat: 6-12

4. Seattle Seahawks (3-1) – This one I love. Seahawks 3 wins came against teams that are a combined 3-11. That’s quality.

6. Cincinnati Bengals (3-1) – Wins against KC (2-2), Cleveland (1-4) and Pittsburgh (1-3)

7. Denver Broncos (3-1) – Offense has been pitiful but the have beat “winnersâ€. Record of teams they beat (KC, NE and Baltimore) is 11-4. Their only loss is to the 4-1 St Louis Rams.

8. Baltimore Ravens (4-1) – Wins over 0-4 TB, 0-4 OAK and 1-4 CLE. Their win over 3-1 SD is looking like a fluke.

9. Atlanta Falcons (3-1) – Beat one winning team – 3-2 Carolina but it’s other two wins are against the 0-4 Bucs and the 1-4 Cardinals.

10. San Diego Chargers (3-1) – Combined record of the 3 teams they beat is 1-12.

Like I said – I have no problem with the ranking. I think 5th is more than fair but don’t say the Pats wins were against crappy teams because, except for Denver everyone has played against crappy teams.

Interesting number crunching. I still don't believe we should be higher than Denver though and also don't know why SD is so far down. They lost to Baltimore on the road in a close game. But I am not sure what has everyone enamored with Seattle. I'd put us ahead of them.

So my own top 5, fwiw would be

Chicago They're crushing everyone
Indy I'm sick of them but until they lose...
Denver Might be the class of the AFC
SD I bet they're better than Indy
Pats Lets see if we can beat one of the above before moving higher

I'm suprised to see San Diego at #10. That's pretty much a slap in the face to that organization considering how well they've played. Easily a top 5 team so far. If not top 3. Personally I think they are better than us at this point and feel pretty certain Marty coached himself and his team to the loss against Baltimore.

brady et al fan said:
...So my own top 5, fwiw would be

Chicago They're crushing everyone
Indy I'm sick of them but until they lose...
Denver Might be the class of the AFC
SD I bet they're better than Indy
Pats Lets see if we can beat one of the above before moving higher

I'm not too far off where you are:
1. INDY
2. CHIC
3. DEN
4. PHIL
5. NE
6. BALT

I don't see how you can put Indy #1. They've been pretty unimpressive to me. They've pulled some wins out though, I'll give em that.

5-10 isn't so bad when you take out the 0-3 against yourselves. And when your margin of victory vs. common opponents is better than Indy's. :)

edgecy said:
If it's okay with you I'd like to send an e-mail to him about the point that you've brought up.
QUOTE]
Fine with me

This figure skater looking dweeb is a known Patriots basher. I can see this guy doing a triple sow cow with excellent form.

Attachments

• charles_robinson2[1].jpg
    charles_robinson2[1].jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

shatch62 said:

Please forward to the yohoos' @ yahoo.

This thread contains still more evidence that ranking Denver #7 is crazy. They're #2 behind Chicago.

great point. and thanks for the analysis. very enlightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back