PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots could have had in 2nd round instead of Chad Jackson.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, even if Jackson busts, and it is far too early to make that call, how can you possibly blame the team for taking him. He was the #1 rated WR on 75% of draft boards, and he fell to pick #36, you jump on that...always!

Even in Jackson busts, I will never blame management for making that pick, because he was clearly the best player available on April 29th.

Stop it... stop it... stop it...this kind of retroflection is like who you could have married instead of your present spouse... there's no profit there... this way lies madness.

We're fans, we embrace madness.

Me, I'm not into woulda coulda shoulda.
Same could be said of most any draft pick.

Marcus McNeil 18th pick- stud Left tackle, who has been sensational for SD

Greg Jennings 20th pick- fine WR for GB

Devin Hester 25th pick- tied all time record for rookie KR's for TDs for touchdowns

Face it the Patriots whiffed big time picking Jackson instead of McNeil.
He could have been our stud LT for the next 10 years.
Maybe BB and Pioli listened to much to the Urban Meyer hype
Yeah, yeah, yeah. And we all whiffed buying lottery tickets last week. How could be have been so dumb to get losing numbers?

Takes a lot of intelligence to look back and say what should have been done. I don't recall you being upset last April that we didn't trade up in second round to pick a LT.

Steve Smith-rookie year- 1 GS 10 receptions, 154 yards 0 TDS, how'd he turn out?

Isaac Bruce-21 receptions, 272 yards, 3 TDS

Chad Johnson-28 receptions,329 yards 1 TD

Lets give Chad Jackson more than 14 games into his rookie year before he's labeled a bust.

Yup, and all 32 teams (yes including the patriots) passed on possibly the greatest QB ever in Tom Brady for at least 5 rounds, most of them six...

There are lots of excellant GM's, coaches and players in the league. why anyone thinks we have a monopoly on the draft baffles me. Belichick/Pioli have a good record ... percentage of good picks...good enough for me.

McNeil? He'd be on the bench behind Light and Kaczur (assuming O'Callaghan wouldn't be drafted too)

Hester? Can he even play CB?

Jennings? With that nearly non-existent WR corps in Green Bay, any rookie WR would have a chance to shine. Except those that, you know, happened to have gotten INJURED and haven't had a fair shot to show their worth!

I'm excited with the base of the WR corps next year being built on Caldwell, Jackson, and possibly Brown. Add in whoever comes in through the draft, a trade, or free agency, and the obvious 3-4 options at TE, and Brady has a young and rebuilt receiving corps to work with.

Pats1,
I agree with the spirit of your post, but from what I've seen of McNeil he's playing as well as any tackle in the NFL this year. He's been so good, and made it look so easy, it's frightening. He toys with the best pass rushers in the NFL with his long reach and quick feet, and he has the speed, power and athleticism to block downfield for Tomlinson. If you notice, most of LT's TD runs and long gains are behind McNeil. IMO that's why he's having his best season to date this year. I watched the SD vs KC game last night and came away with the impression that McNeil may have been the best player, at any position, on the field, Tomlinson included. Plus he seems like a solid citizen and good teammate. Maybe the biggest steal of the draft...

You know, it's a dang shame we didn't get Gostkowski. :D

I didn't bother editing any of NE's pick (below Jackson) because they could have had them in the second round. ;)

If we are formulating our opinions on whether a draft choice is a success or a bust based on his rookie season, then I guess that makes Terry Glenn a Hall of Famer. I mean, he caught 90 passes or so, far more than Jerry Rice.

You're right, we should never draft a WR that high.;)

Jeez .... in 1982 we could have had Art Schlichter instead of Ken Sims? :bricks:

The Pats have effed up many draft choices, in which they misjudged someone due to size limitations (Guss Scott, Dexter Reid), lack of productivity (Bumblin' Bennie Watson), maturity issues (Cedric Cobbs, PK Sam), medical concerns (Ryan Claridge), or a combination thereof. The above examples were bad selections from the moment they were made. No value whatsoever. However, with the selection of CJ, the Pats chose the consensus Best Available, not only ar WR, but perhaps overall. What happens now and in the future, nobody knows, but I would have done the same as the FO: "With the 4th pick of the 2nd round, the NEP select, from the U of FLA, WR Chad Jackson."

Bethal Jackson is going to be just fine.

Pats1,
I agree with the spirit of your post, but from what I've seen of McNeil he's playing as well as any tackle in the NFL this year. He's been so good, and made it look so easy, it's frightening. He toys with the best pass rushers in the NFL with his long reach and quick feet, and he has the speed, power and athleticism to block downfield for Tomlinson. If you notice, most of LT's TD runs and long gains are behind McNeil. IMO that's why he's having his best season to date this year. I watched the SD vs KC game last night and came away with the impression that McNeil may have been the best player, at any position, on the field, Tomlinson included. Plus he seems like a solid citizen and good teammate. Maybe the biggest steal of the draft...

Right. But without the Oben injury we would have likely never known.

You're right... Pioli and BB, they don't know what the **** they're doing. Too bad they took Seymour over Terrell, or that dope Ty Warren. What a bust he was his 1st year, the #14 overall pick. Are these posters piling on Chad Jackson really Pats fans, or just recent Red Sox crossovers? They're making me physically ill, turning Jackson into their "whipping boy" the same way they jumped on Willy Mo Pena. They constitute a mean spirited, premature "lynch mob". Read into that what you want.

Well put. (10 chars)

Marcus McNeil 18th pick- stud Left tackle, who has been sensational for SD

Greg Jennings 20th pick- fine WR for GB

Devin Hester 25th pick- tied all time record for rookie KR's for TDs for touchdowns

Face it the Patriots whiffed big time picking Jackson instead of McNeil.
He could have been our stud LT for the next 10 years.
Maybe BB and Pioli listened to much to the Urban Meyer hype
Your post is basically idiotic. In essence, your position is that it makes perfect sense after the draft to see how all of the draft choices have worked out and then, with hindsignt, declare that a draft pick was a 'mistake'.

It should be obvious to even the least perceptive fan that it's impossible ahead of time to know whether a player will really even be a solid starter for the long term much less a star. Why obvious ? Just look at all of the scouting combines and media analysts picking the top 32 players much less the individual teams applying as much expertise from their scouts and analysis as they can and look at how bad they do. The success rate (success being a starter for at least 6 years) from 1st round picks is something on the order of 35%. It is really stupid to judge that the Patriots are somehow poor at making their picks or have made 'mistakes'. In contrast to the 35% success rate for 1st round picks by NFL teams as a whole, Belichick and Pioli have 100% success on first round picks. Even more so, not only are their picks 100% starters, but you have some guys who already are or appear to be top players at their position in the NFL. Belichick and Pioli are 7 for 7 - Seymour, Graham, Warren, Watson, Wilfork, Mankins, and even almost certainly this years pick, Maroney. The odds of getting succesful players in the second round is certainly less than the 35% success rate in the first round. Yet the Patriots prior to this draft (leaving out 2000 for which Belichick and Pioli had little time to prepare) are 60% !!! 3 out of 5. Light, Branch, and Wilson. It may be higher (80%) if Hill were to become a starter level player. The only for sure bust is Bethel Johnson. Good grief, you have to be nuts to think that it's possible to do better than that. The point was well made by Pats1 that you may not have even picked good examples to use. Not only that, if you're going to use good hindsight, it's dumb beyond belief to try to even begin to say that the players you mention are going to last as starters for more than 5 years. And you have NO CLUE as to whether or not Chad Jackson is going to be a starter for years to come - NO CLUE. Nobody does, except maybe Belichick and his coaching staff - and even Belichick has openly stated that you can't tell about players for sure for 2 or 3 years. mgcolby tried to give you an idea of how many trees there are in the forest when draft picks are made.

Worse yet, there is no way that you can have a clue as to whether the players you mention can contribute in a Belichick system. Duhhhhh. There are scads of hyped and genuine top talents, much less rookie draft picks, who would not be able to play effectively for Belichick not to mention many who would actually disrupt the overall scheme and make things worse.

Tell you what. Why don't you come back next spring before the draft and tell us, without the benefit of hindsight, which 64 players you pick who are all going to be long term successful starting players in the NFL ? I can guarantee you that if you even come close to picking 50%, you will certainly have the undivided attention of every member of this board. But even better yet, you should be able to name your price as a draft selection guru for ANY NFL team you might want to work for - except the Patriots where you will have to hit pretty much better than 90% for them to give you the time of day.

Until then, give us a break and quit posting nonsense.

The Pats have effed up many draft choices, in which they misjudged someone due to size limitations (Guss Scott, Dexter Reid), lack of productivity (Bumblin' Bennie Watson), maturity issues (Cedric Cobbs, PK Sam), medical concerns (Ryan Claridge), or a combination thereof.

Are you kidding me? You just put Ben Watson in the same category as a bunch of guys who are out of football? Why, because he fumbled a couple balls?

Are you kidding me? You just put Ben Watson in the same category as a bunch of guys who are out of football? Why, because he fumbled a couple balls?

Actually, Guss Scott is back on the Patriots roster. Dexter Reid is a special teamer for the Colts. Cedric Cobbs is with the Broncos.

You can always 2nd guess choices after you see how other players seem to pan out better than what we pick. I am fine with Chad Jackson and I am positive that he is going to be key in our playoff run and future from the times that I have seen him so far.

My conspiracy theory: It's a ploy by BB to have minimal game footage on the rookie and have him well rested going into the playoffs. LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News