PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots charge fans $4.50 for tap water

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether to laugh or shake my head at this news.

When bottled water ran out, Gillette Stadium charged fans $4.50 for tap water - The Boston Globe

Workers at Gillette Stadium had prepared for hot September day — temperatures hit 86 degrees in Foxborough — by doubling their inventory of water bottles. However, the demand far exceeded what they were able to hold in their concession stands and was almost four times the inventory they would have had for an average game.

As different concession stands ran out of water bottles throughout the course of the day, fans asked for cups of tap water instead. Gillette concession stands don’t have the smaller complimentary water cups you may find at other restaurants, so concessionaires resorted to selling tap water in soda cups for $4.50.

“We apologize. That should not have happened. It is the first time that I have ever heard that complaint here. We are looking into the matter to ensure that it doesn’t happen again,” Patriot spokesperson Stacey James said.

The headlines read "Patriots charge..." but I am curious if it was really their decision, or that of a vendor that may be contracted to work the concession stands. Either way the 'Kraft is Cheap' boo-birds have new ammunition.

I heard it was $6.00 per cup near me. This was a fail by the Pats/Gillette stadium. When the stadium ran out of bottled water (as they did on the concourse during the 2nd quarter) they should have passed out cups of water for free. It was dangerously hot out there and they should have been better prepared. The forecast was the same all week.

I think there is some kind of law regarding water being available for free for all ... this issue has come up before.
There is a tradition. I don't know one way or the other if there's a law, or if lawmakers felt it didn't need to be codified.

I think there is some kind of law regarding water being available for free for all ... this issue has come up before.
Are there none of these in Gillette?

EZS8S-2T.jpg

I would assume that would satisfy any legal requirements.

Please expand on this, I've never heard of such a thing. What about tap water at the fountains? Or filling a cup in the restroom sink? Those certainly were available.

That probably was the hottest day in Gillette I can remember, certainly true walking my usual 2.5 miles roundtrip to and from the stadium. First thing I did after arriving was buy a bottle of water ($4) and get my customary free Pepsi voucher at the designated driver booth. Very thankful my seats are in the shade, I couldn't have imagined baking all afternoon on the stadium's east side.

There are also free water fountains. We refilled our water bottles a few times.
Are there none of these in Gillette?

EZS8S-2T.jpg

I would assume that would satisfy any legal requirements.
many

Don't worry.

McCourty is going to kneel by the Gatorade jug during halftime on Sunday to protest this.

A little obsessed are you? Sorry people objecting to the oppression and murder of minorities is bothersome to you. A good psychologist may be able to fix that for you.

I'm guessing BK will comp the stadium a free bottle of water.
Cost for 1/2 liter at Costco....11 cents
Take in $4.50....give back 11 cents....BK always wins

I’d guess this bad decision falls squarely on the stadium vendor and not the organization. Still, it’s some bad PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back