PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many years will this happen before we stop being surprised?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Through 3 games, the KC defense is:
-- effectively tied for next to last in points allowed/game
-- last in passing yards allowed/game
-- 21st in rushing yards allowed/game

They've played the Chargers, the Steelers (without Bell), and the Niners.

They play the Donks tonight. Denver is tied for 25th in the league in points scored. They're 19th in passing yards/game, but 4th in rushing yards/game.

I think I'll wait to see how things work out for the Chefs tonight before thinking of them as a looming monster to be conquered in week-6.

And I'm really tired of hearing how "they got beat by a backup QB". The 2017 Philly offense was really f**king good waaay beyond Nick Foles, from the coaches through the OL.

Given the way Minnesota's defense played at the end of last season and has played thus far this season, were they? The OL was dominant, but murdering Minnesota's defense doesn't look like the saving grace for what they did to the Pats defense that was being bandied about in this forum after the game. Minnesota's defense has not looked that great going back to late last year and Foles obviously looked pretty bad at the start of this season. The Falcons somewhat held them in check in the divisional round as well.

BB preaches team defense and it could take some time to integrate new parts. I feel it takes players a bit longer for it all to come together and get in sync. We want to be peaking after Thanksgiving and play for the long-term success.

Slow start, but always do well in the end. I like our chances with BB and keep negative opinions until the 3 quarter market of the season.

Are you unfamiliar with this word?

I thought that the 2017 defense was being held together with duct tape and zip ties all season and that their regular season run of success was mostly sleight-of-hand and luck (in the form of some weak offenses and QBs/OCs who could be fooled).

Yes this obviously turned out to be true

Given the way Minnesota's defense played at the end of last season and has played thus far this season, were they? The OL was dominant, but murdering Minnesota's defense doesn't look like the saving grace for what they did to the Pats defense that was being bandied about in this forum after the game. Minnesota's defense has not looked that great going back to late last year and Foles obviously looked pretty bad at the start of this season. The Falcons somewhat held them in check in the divisional round as well.

My point was that the Pats defense was significantly worse all season than it looked on paper, that the Philly offense was legitimately good to very good all season, and that it wasn't just Foles who beat the Pats in the SB in the same way that it wasn't just Cassell who won 11 games for the Pats in 2008.

Through 3 games, the KC defense is:
-- effectively tied for next to last in points allowed/game
-- last in passing yards allowed/game
-- 21st in rushing yards allowed/game

They've played the Chargers, the Steelers (without Bell), and the Niners.

They play the Donks tonight. Denver is tied for 25th in the league in points scored. They're 19th in passing yards/game, but 4th in rushing yards/game.

I think I'll wait to see how things work out for the Chefs tonight before thinking of them as a looming monster to be conquered in week-6.
People are getting way too strung out on KC. Kinda ridiculous.

Are you unfamiliar with this word?

Are you unfamiliar with the rhetorical way of asking, "are you including me in that 'we'?"

Yes this obviously turned out to be true

And it was fairly obvious to some of "us" long before the team got to the SB.

IOW, speak for yourself.

My point was that the Pats defense was significantly worse all season than it looked on paper, that the Philly offense was legitimately good to very good all season, and that it wasn't just Foles who beat the Pats in the SB in the same way that it wasn't just Cassell who won 11 games for the Pats in 2008.

I'm not disagreeing with you on either of those fronts, however Foles never looked uncomfortable in the pocket at all in the Super Bowl. People used to say, "well, he never looked that way against the Vikings either and they were a very good defense," but the question is now: were they really? I don't think they were, either. At least not with the way they played late last season and so far this year. I think the real Foles/Philly team was the one that had trouble with Atlanta in the playoffs. That was their test. After that, they got two creampuff defenses in Minnesota (crazy saying that) and New England that they matched up with extremely well.

I called it sheer will to win.. in post before the game. Starts with Brady and belichick but you saw everyone was doing their job.

I also said we have to see it to continue to believe it's there !! Since it's about the team having their own individual wills to win also. It's great , actually essential, that it starts with QB and HC.

So.. the answer ...

How many years?

Exactly 3.141592653

Which is pi... the ratio between a circle and the line which bisects it. Symbolic .The straight line being the consistency to the destination, the circle the long road of getting there. :cool:

It's also an irrational number... Lol. So stay tuned..:D

Are you unfamiliar with the rhetorical way of asking, "are you including me in that 'we'?"

And it was fairly obvious to some of "us" long before the team got to the SB.

IOW, speak for yourself.

Are you new here?

You seem to have mistaken my usual stance on our defense

Are you new here?

You seem to have mistaken my usual stance on our defense

No, I'm not "new here", but I still have no idea what your "usual stance on (the Pats') defense" is. Sorry that I haven't been following your every word on the subject.

In any case ...

We thought everything was squared away with the defense last year too.

... I was NOT part of the "we" who thought that.

Let's not forget that the Dolphins handed this team one of its losses last year and was in the playoff hunt more often than not the last few years. They're a weaker team than us, but not to be sneezed at .
They're a division opponent that puts great effort into matching up with the Patriots. We're 7-4 against them since 2013, and we've had particular trouble against them in Miami. This was an especially important game considering the records going in. Really glad we were able to dominate this one.

We all knew the Pats were better than the team that showed up in JAX and DET, but in this area we constantly ask ourselves "but will it be good enough to win the whole thing?"

Yes, we're spoiled. Brady and BB have spoiled us.

This was definitely a 'take a sigh of relief game', because even though we know the Pats would play better, there's definitely a different 'vibe' to this team than there has been in past years....so you just never know.

I still don't think they are out of the woods by any means, but this was very encouraging.

We all knew the Pats were better than the team that showed up in JAX and DET, but in this area we constantly ask ourselves "but will it be good enough to win the whole thing?"

Yes, we're spoiled. Brady and BB have spoiled us.

This was definitely a 'take a sigh of relief game', because even though we know the Pats would play better, there's definitely a different 'vibe' to this team than there has been in past years....so you just never know.

I still don't think they are out of the woods by any means, but this was very encouraging.

Look around the NFL and look at the NEP.

If the NEP play to their capability (which they did yesterday and have plenty of room for improvement) they can woop the pants off of anyone.

ok... my "hawt take".

It's freaking October 1. We can be thankful they don't play the Super Bowl in September or October. Miami is certainly not the iron of the NFL, regardless of what the mediots say about their 3-0 start. It was a nice win against a divisional opponent. That's all it is. They aren't even close to being "right", or ready for the post season. That Chiefs game coming up looks like a good test. The Bears look like a tough one. Pack and Titans won't be easy. By the time the bye week is here, we will know what we have. Until then, the sky is neither falling nor rosy.

Look around the NFL and look at the NEP.

If the NEP play to their capability (which they did yesterday and have plenty of room for improvement) they can woop the pants off of anyone.

Just as the Detroit game showed they can get whooped by anyone.

We've been spoiled to the point where we'd feel good about beating most teams even without our best effort. We don't have as much wiggle room this year.

The reality is that we are mortal, but we're still a good team. We'll continue to improve. Honestly, (if my family was on this board they would attest), I actually don't sweat the losses like I used to. I've been much more even keel during these games than I used to be. Maybe I just appreciate the opportunity to still watch Tom play, but I think it also has to do with the reality that the regular season is essentially our pre-season (again, I'll admit we're spoiled in this regard). I'll ramp up my nerves come playoff time.

Anyone with an attention span greater than a hamster's

Well there's the problem, right there.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

ok... my "hawt take".

It's freaking October 1. We can be thankful they don't play the Super Bowl in September or October. Miami is certainly not the iron of the NFL, regardless of what the mediots say about their 3-0 start. It was a nice win against a divisional opponent. That's all it is. They aren't even close to being "right", or ready for the post season. That Chiefs game coming up looks like a good test. The Bears look like a tough one. Pack and Titans won't be easy. By the time the bye week is here, we will know what we have. Until then, the sky is neither falling nor rosy.
Yes, perhaps, but if we were to go undefeated between now and the bye week there would still be plenty of people on this board and in the media who would claim that the teams the Patriots beat sucked. Book it...

Just as the Detroit game showed they can get whooped by anyone.

We've been spoiled to the point where we'd feel good about beating most teams even without our best effort. We don't have as much wiggle room this year.

The reality is that we are mortal, but we're still a good team. We'll continue to improve. Honestly, (if my family was on this board they would attest), I actually don't sweat the losses like I used to. I've been much more even keel during these games than I used to be. Maybe I just appreciate the opportunity to still watch Tom play, but I think it also has to do with the reality that the regular season is essentially our pre-season (again, I'll admit we're spoiled in this regard). I'll ramp up my nerves come playoff time.
Once this team has all the pistons firing they are in the top 5.

My son and I went to that skins game. The best part of the game was the drunk hottie that kept standing up and shaking her stuff in the row in front of us.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference