PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots ask for permission to speak with Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't be surprised if McDaniels is brought in to help rehabilitate Ochocinco.

actually ya know the pats were 13th in yards per game rushing in 2007, 9th in attempts per game, and 5th in rushing tds

so mcdaniels wasn't bad at structuring a gameplan that included the run.

that sb though, maroney wasn't doing anything, and it seemed to me the gameplan called for too many dropbacks by the qb until near the end when everything was rapid fire.

Not sure if this got posted, but Holley was on WEEI today and said the following (paraphrase):

He would be shocked if McD is not with the pats next season. He also said he wouldn't be surprised if he helps in the playoffs.

Mmmm....

Before Josh is anointed the next Patriots OC, a couple things.

First, I'm wondering if maybe the "Rooney Rule" applies to OC vacancies, at least in spirit. In which case, we may see more interviews before a deal gets done for anyone. I haven't been able to find a list of minority coaches who might be viable candidates (don't know that there IS one).

Second, I'm wondering if the Pats might not also interview Brian Daboll, since he may be broomed by whoever is the next HC for Miami.

Before Josh is anointed the next Patriots OC, a couple things.

First, I'm wondering if maybe the "Rooney Rule" applies to OC vacancies, at least in spirit. In which case, we may see more interviews before a deal gets done for anyone. I haven't been able to find a list of minority coaches who might be viable candidates (don't know that there IS one).

Second, I'm wondering if the Pats might not also interview Brian Daboll, since he may be broomed by whoever is the next HC for Miami.

I don't think the Rooney rule will apply for OC vacancies. We didn't do it when Josh left, doesn't make sense to do it now that BOB is leaving.

Daboll may have burned some bridges, at least that's the sense I got from the War Room. BB also chose Josh over Daboll originally. I also doubt Miami would allow him to be interviewed for a lateral move.

I got the sense from War Room that Belichik's relationship with McDaniels is much better than we thought it was and I agree with Holley that he will very likely be back next season.

You really want to use Tebow, Moreno and Ayers as good 1st round picks? Seriously? That's laughable. Alphonso Smith cost them another 1st rounder and he gave him away for Dan Gronkowski (yes that Dan Gronkowski). Darcel McBath and Richard Quinn in the second - both released. How about his influence with the Pats with Moron-ey and CJax.

You must be a 4th or 5th string AQ.

You're arguing against the same individuals that for years derisively mocked anyone who said Laurence Maroney was terrible, and who even tried to post stats and evidence that Laurence Maroney was good and that anyone who thought otherwise didn't know what they were talking about. They will out-post you to death, no matter what intelligent argument you make. The funniest part of your exchange was that poster never even read Holley's book yet kept talking as if he did.

Last edited:
I got the sense from War Room that Belichik's relationship with McDaniels is much better than we thought it was and I agree with Holley that he will very likely be back next season.

It was more in the context in relation to Belichick's worsening relationship with Eric Mangini and other coaches whose relationships soured. I agree with you though, it sounds like there is an excellent chance McDaniels comes back to New England. It might not be a bad thing, since Belichick could focus on the defense and leave the offense to McDaniels, kind of a reverse of what Sean Payton did with Gregg Williams. I still think the evidence is damning in terms of McDaniels as a talent evaluator, and I don't understand the ferocious defense for him when the body of evidence suggests otherwise.

Step 1 Resign Mcdaniels
Step 2 bring back Eric Mangini
step 3 multiple Championships

Just a disclaimer I like Mangini I think he has a great football mind,
I hope Bill can forgive him one day to make a awesome Coaching triangle.

Step 1 Resign Mcdaniels

Mangini actually wasn't anything special as Defensive Coordinator here.

Step 1 Resign Mcdaniels

I like Mangini on ESPN, and he's obviously a very intelligent person, but I'm not sure BB will forgive him. I'd say BB feels stabbed in the back, at the minimum, that isn't something you just 'forget' in such a short time.

Mangini on the other hand I believe is genuinely sorry that he burned bridges, whether he 'misses' BB or thinks he's the best chance to get back into the game, he does nothing but talk up BB and NE whenever I see him (admittedly, not often).

I thought McDaniels and Brady kind of bumped heads during or after the Superbowl loss or something like that... can't remember where I read it.

Seems more like Mangini talks up Brady than Belichick, but that's just my opinion. He has trashed the defense whenever he's been given the chance, taking more stabs at Belichick, but that's just my opinion too.

I hope we could get McDaniels back, since Ocho has one more year in his contract, perhaps McDaniels would know how to utilize him, like he did Moss, a very similar player... in terms of street ball type recievers.

I hope we could get McDaniels back, since Ocho has one more year in his contract, perhaps McDaniels would know how to utilize him, like he did Moss, a very similar player... in terms of street ball type recievers.

Wait... Randy Moss and Ocho are similar players?? Really? :confused:

McDaniels +

Welker
Gronk
Hernandez
Lloyd
Branch
Rookie middle/deep WR who can actually play
Edelman

= Very interesting playcalling in passing situations and a lot of D.C.s getting no sleep the week of Patriots games.

Sure.

They can only run in straight lines, like the street ballers. If they gotta do some good route running or run options, it's over.

Not sure if this got posted, but Holley was on WEEI today and said the following (paraphrase):

Mmmm....

Has anyone heard of this happening. Sure, maybe in some cases an unemployed coach joins a team midseason but what about a coach quitting one NFL job and joining another team...in the same season just for the playoffs no less.

Last edited:
Step 1 Resign Mcdaniels

Not happening. Ever.

Step 1 Resign Mcdaniels

I think that'd be an awesome trio and was a big fan of Mangini as a DC, but like others said probably not gonna happen. And all in all I wouldn't blame BB if he wouldn't go back to that, I've been betrayed too in the past and I know I'd never trust that person with a penny.

I think that'd be an awesome trio and was a big fan of Mangini as a DC, but like others said probably not gonna happen. And all in all I wouldn't blame BB if he wouldn't go back to that, I've been betrayed too in the past and I know I'd never trust that person with a penny.

Our D sucked under Mangina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back