PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Agree To 1 Year Deal With Kellen Winslow Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three cuts, Hilliard Salas and Rivera announced.

Interesting that so many people are calling him old and washed up with bum knees. The guy is 29, has started every game the last 3 years and has 218 receptions in that time.

The only concern is why he is on the street right now. Knowing his history, could be a boatload of reasons.

It's not interesting. You have knee jerk reactionaries who don't calm themselves before writing. What is actually interesting is your post injecting the reality of K2 over the last few years (not missing games and making lots of catches). Well said/timed post (kudos to the others who posted similar things)....

As to item 2, the attitude issue is so well known it doesn't likely help his case with any team. But who knows why no team took a gamble on him after Seattle cut him loose....

Hi, I'm not very bright. :bye2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a feeling Rivera's spot wasn't secure...but I think he may still be PS eligible.....Salas was out of the blue for me....we hardly knew ya ...:eek:

Would have liked to see him play...maybe after this unexpected loss to Zona BB isn't taking any chances and bringing back known entities in Branch/Gaffney. They have chemistry with Brady already and know the playbook.

I wonder how much guaranteed money he's getting.

Because aside from that I would think its a week to week deal, depending on the situation and game planning.

Branch, Gaffney and Stallworth can be signed on a weekly basis if there is a need as well.

Sure you risk losing these guys to another team, but that's the risk you take with veteran shadow roster guys

Hopefully Uh Oh is either moved to FB or cut after next week.

Last edited:
This is good news, I've read Pats tried him out before, liked him but failed the physical. Next week is a must win. Remember the Football Life? "..gonna be in for the long run..you know it, they know it"

Holy Cow, Winslow can still play. Look what I dug up:

Kellen Winslow 2010 Highlights - YouTube

These highlights are from 2010, but still he's only 29 years old and is playing now with a much better QB. It seems to me that Winslow is better at getting open deep than Hernandez or Gronk. Could Winslow be the deep threat we need?

im not too worried about his attitude...belichick seems to have no problem picking up players who have a "history"...hopefully winslow fits into the cory Dillon/Moss signings vs the haynesworth/ocho ones...

the guy is a solid pass-catching tight end. and if we need someone to fill in while hernandez is out, if he can get the playbook down he is going to be effective in this offense.

I'd cut either Hilliard or Hoomanawanui.

I'd cut both. Hoo-Hoo's blocking was just as putrid as Hilliard's.

I thought that Salas might've had a future, but perhaps Bill took a look at his WRs & at last realized
that as long as both Welker & Edelman are here, Salas is redundant & is a luxury we cannot afford
when the rest of the WRs are Lloyd and...Slater.

WTF is going on with Gaffney?

I'd cut both. Hoo-Hoo's blocking was just as putrid as Hilliard's.

I thought that Salas might've had a future, but perhaps Bill took a look at his WRs & at last realized
that as long as both Welker & Edelman are here, Salas is redundant & is a luxury we cannot afford
when the rest of the WRs are Lloyd and...Slater.

WTF is going on with Gaffney?

Gaffney reportably has a leg injury that has not healed yet.

I think that gave Deion the jump back in the mix and why other teams decided not to waste a roster spot while Gaffney was recuperating.

The Dolphins who have virtually no receivers,did not sign him.....what does that tell you?....he's not ready.

What I find most interesting is that we now have FIVE TE's on the 53 man roster with TWO elegible to return after week eight. I still see the possibility that the 4 TE-1 RB sets will be used to power this team down the home stretch into the play offs. Also notable that not one of the cuts today included a TE. Springing this late season leaves little to no chance to find an answer, if there is one. Gronk and Shank to one side with Ballerd and AH to the other with Riddley in the back field. No huddle, hurry up, what ever the defensive set or personel, TB's options are so diverse, the defence can not be right...

How do you defend it...May be a 3-4-4 with 4 safeties...CB's become nearly useless with that heavy personel. 3-5-3 again with 3 safeties...But who will be able to man those personel sets...Just a defensive nightmare...All heavy blockers,pass and run, all capible recievers or extra line men...TB calls all the shots...

Last edited:
I don't know how many of you are old enough to have seen or watched Winslow Sr. Play but he was simply unbelievable in Air Coryell's offense and Fouts to Winslow Sr. was sort of the 80s version of today's Brady to Gronkowski.

That multiple overtime 1982 playoff game in Miami when SD pulled it out by virtue of Winslow's heroics when he blocked the Dolphins winning FG attempt at the final seconds of the 4th quarter was one of the best games of all times,I had ever watched.

Great player,best game ever.....

Last edited:
Personally, I think this is a great move by the Patriots. They can continue to try to create mismatches in coverages with 2 tight ends along with Welker in the slot.

Kellen Winslow Jr. is a good player. Only a matter of time before he got picked up somewhere.

I don't know how many of you are old enough to have seen or watched Winslow Sr. Play but he was simply unbelievable in Air Coryell's offense and Fouts to Winslow Sr. was sort of the 80s version of today's Brady to Gronkowski.

That multiple overtime 1982 playoff game in Miami when SD pulled it out by virtue of Winslow's heroics when he blocked the Dolphins winning FG attempt at the final seconds of the 4th quarter was one of the best games of all times,I had ever watched.

No doubt. I vividly remember seeing that game. True classic football...remember seeing a couple guys support him as he limped off the field.

One of the best games I've ever seen for sure. I'll never forget it. Winslow did EVERYTHING in that game.

So I've had the flu and missed the last 3 days of life.

Couple of things that occur to me (and I'm still pretty heavily medicated so take it for what it's worth). I'm sure all of this has already been covered but...

For anyone complaining that the Pats weren't 'prepared' in case they lost Hernandez is just stupidity. You don't replace AH. Just like you don't replace TB, Gronk, or Vince. You hope the guy who replaces them can give you 70% of what you get from your stars.

LOL at all the people who thought carrying 4 TE's on a team that relies heavily on the TE was too much. We now have 5 plus one on IR and another on PUP. Guess somebody likes TE (and I mean somebody besides OTG and me.)

Not a Winslow fan but he has played all 16 games the last 3 seasons with good numbers. I hope his knee holds up for a few months.

It's not interesting. You have knee jerk reactionaries who don't calm themselves before writing. What is actually interesting is your post injecting the reality of K2 over the last few years (not missing games and making lots of catches). Well said/timed post (kudos to the others who posted similar things)....

As to item 2, the attitude issue is so well known it doesn't likely help his case with any team. But who knows why no team took a gamble on him after Seattle cut him loose....

Another interesting stat I uncovered is that KW2 averages 4.8 receptions per game, which matches Gonzalez and Witten, and it appears to be the second highest reception rate for TEs in NFL history. Just behind KW1 at 5.0 R/G.

I remember watching that game, and also remember that Winslow Sr had a rep as a primadonna
with a disdain for blocking, 2 traits which seems to have been passed to the Soldja.
Let's hope that Junior realizes for whom he now plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes