PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2013 Training Camp (Day Nine, Mon Aug 5)

BTW- if talking about today's practice is still allowed.....I think the most positive thing I can say about the WR situation is the releases of veteran WR's like Hawkins and Jones. These were guys that would still be on the team if 3 rookies weren't looking so good thus far. The final "seal of approval" to the rookie WR class will be the release of Mike Jenkins.

Also, what the Pats are doing in virtually completely revamping the best receiving corps in the league, will only prove (if successful) a prime theory of mine (and I think BB's as well), that the WR skill group is the most replaceable position in the NFL, and thus the most over rated skill position.

Witness. Last season the Pats had the 4th best passing attack in the league, as well as being the top total offense in the league. When this season starts, the only likely returnees to the receiving corps will be Gronk and Edelman (who missed most of last season). If at the end on THIS season the Pats are somewhere in the top 10 passing offenses, it will once again prove why BB has never made a WR a first round pick.

I hope my attempt to talk football won't upset too many, who'd rather stand on the sidelines and just yell at each other.

BTW- another interesting TC observation concerning the WR has been the unanimous positive reviews about Danny Amendola.

Or it says something bad about our pro-scouting dept. "The three FA's we signed can't even beat out rookies" :eek:

/totally non-serious Debbie Downer mode

They love Lacey right now, in terms of the running game. If he can get him going in the regular season, the Packers will be the best offense in the NFL.

Don't know who was playing at the OT positions at the time, but remember the first half carnage that Seattle wreaked on that OL last year? If this injury makes that a more common proposition, top offense might be a little further off.

Don't know who was playing at the OT positions at the time, but remember the first half carnage that Seattle wreaked on that OL last year? If this injury makes that a more common proposition, top offense might be a little further off.

Absolutely, and quality LTs aren't exactly available by the dozen right now. Heck, I bet Miami's front office has looked at last night and is doing a lot of soul searching after deciding not to trade for Branden Albert during the draft.

Absolutely, and quality LTs aren't exactly available by the dozen right now. Heck, I bet Miami's front office has looked at last night and is doing a lot of soul searching after deciding not to trade for Branden Albert during the draft.

Svitek could be a gold mine with some good pre-season performances :)

Looks like they'll be starting a 4th round rookie at LT.

Same ole Packers for the 3rd year in a row. Insane WR core, weak O-line, non-existent running game, and a soft defense. Rodgers will put up his numbers, get sacked 50+ times, lose in round 1, and be proclaimed the undisputed best QB in the league again.

Matt Light says "Hi!"

Kidding aside, The Pack are in OL trouble.

Matt Light says "Hi!"

Kidding aside, The Pack are in OL trouble.

Sounds like it's Solder's replacement @ Colorado that will be stepping up to the mark as Bulaga's replacement.

I served 2 tours in Iraq

With all sincerity, and not one iota of snark:

images

Mega-dittos from me too!!!

On other news, is anybody else eager to see our rookie receivers work against the Eagles defensive backs????

Call me Deputy Downer if you like but if our guys suck considering how well they've done in camp, that probably means both our receivers and our DBs suck.

Cool! Clowney

Only kidding. Really looking forward to how they do in a game environment, particularly with Tebow...oh crap!

You'll be pleased that Ballard was out there today. I THINK that the Pats are gonna be giving him a day or so off now and then this month as his rehab continues and swelling gets treated.
Hey PWP. Quick question from a guy that has had ACL and meniscus replacement surgery ...

I see that you indicated Ballard has swelling in his knee. I haven't seen that yet and have only read a few articles indicating soreness:
Based on my experience in college with knees, if Ballard is having swelling, in addition to soreness, I seriously question his ability to make it back to the NFL with the Pats. Hope this isn't the case if he's the man for the job; but, swelling takes his recovery into a completely new area of concern.

PatsDog

This report highlights what I was hoping for out of the new receivers the Pats brought in prior to FA and the draft. A taller, more physical threat on the perimeter is exactly what this offense has needed the last several years and what it was missing in the red zone during the AFCCG without Gronk. Hopefully Dobson sticks, the reports of some of his struggles getting off the press are overblown once the preseason starts, and he can make an impact immediately. A receiver with his skillset is exactly what this offense needs.

This report highlights what I was hoping for out of the new receivers the Pats brought in prior to FA and the draft. A taller, more physical threat on the perimeter is exactly what this offense has needed the last several years and what it was missing in the red zone during the AFCCG without Gronk. Hopefully Dobson sticks, the reports of some of his struggles getting off the press are overblown once the preseason starts, and he can make an impact immediately. A receiver with his skillset is exactly what this offense needs.

I hope that Dobson's ability to jump and maneuver will give us a triple-threat consistency in the red zone - 1. Gronk; 2. Ridley; 3. Dobson on the outside

Considering that we signed Jenkins, Harrison and Sims too, I think BB agrees with you.

I got that wrong in the run up to the draft in that I was looking at the quicker guys and almost completely discounting the giants.

I hope that Dobson's ability to jump and maneuver will give us a triple-threat consistency in the red zone - 1. Gronk; 2. Ridley; 3. Dobson on the outside

In a scramble drill, rookie WR Aaron Dobson made a ridiculous leaping catch in the back corner of the end zone over two defenders. Tom Brady fired the ball high and into the corner, and Dobson used his body to box out the defenders and catch the ball at its highest point.

That's that basketball experience coming into play. The report makes me envision Randy Moss cira-2008 boxing out the Jets CB to catch that TD pass from Cassel near the end of regulation, except without the leaping part.

Two things that stand out to me based on this report:

1) The TE situation seems to be taking shape, at least as much as it can prior to any games. Hooman is in his own rotation in a way as the H-Back, filling both a TE and FB type role. The more traditional tight ends are Fells, Sudfeld, and Ballard and right now they seem to be in that order on the depth chart. I'm feeling pretty good about this group so far, though obviously getting Gronk back ASAP is a must.

2) The majority of the focus of media reports seems to be centered on the WR's and TE's (with good reason). The defense, though getting some attention, is flying a little under the radar... and for some reason, that makes me really excited to see what they can do.

Two things that stand out to me based on this report:

1) The TE situation seems to be taking shape, at least as much as it can prior to any games. Hooman is in his own rotation in a way as the H-Back, filling both a TE and FB type role. The more traditional tight ends are Fells, Sudfeld, and Ballard and right now they seem to be in that order on the depth chart. I'm feeling pretty good about this group so far, though obviously getting Gronk back ASAP is a must.

2) The majority of the focus of media reports seems to be centered on the WR's and TE's (with good reason). The defense, though getting some attention, is flying a little under the radar... and for some reason, that makes me really excited to see what they can do.

I was just thinking the same thing about people overlooking the defense a bit - just saw this quote in the Herald by Wilfork, whose opinion I think holds quite a bit of weight ;-)
"There's thing we can do now we don't have to wait weeks to do, or wait another week to do because we have guys that have been around, been in the league, not just here, but around the league, and understand this defense, or understand football in general. So you can do things a little bit more. At this point, we have this point, we have some positions out there that's like that. I'm just very happy where we're at as a defense.'' - Vince Wilfork

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back