PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2013 Training Camp (Day Nine, Mon Aug 5)

He could very well turn out to be the next Ronnie Lott. That said, he hasn't even so much as played a snap in the NFL yet. Gregory has and we at least know that he can be a valuable depth guy.
For now, I'll take Eugene Wilson, the version of before he broke his arm in the Super Bowl.

For now, I'll take Eugene Wilson, the version of before he broke his arm in the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't mind that. I would, however, advise you to hold your horses on the kid. There was a report last week that both Harmon and Ryan were routinely coming off the field looking like their heads were spinning. It's a steep learning curve from the zone-heavy scheme they came from at Rutgers to this one.

I appreciate the Mods who have been cleaning up this thread and deleting some of the more derailing posts...

But could you pretty please put back the one about the Jewish people "wandering the dessert"?

I have a great "Not everything can be black and white.. cookies" joke in response to it.

Surely, a thread can handle a little derailment in honor of a beautiful set up to the double entendre'd pun? :p

If we had someone with potential upside at receiver that could also fill his role on special teams than absolutely. However, since that isn't the case I have no desire to see him go.

Is a mediocre wide out really going to have a bigger impact than a great special teamer though? For example, if Slater is out there for the 49ers in the super bowl maybe he makes that tackle on Jacoby Jones. I thought Cole wasn't that bad btw aside from the AFCCG. Not a guy you'd want to rely on, but he's decent depth. Hopefully Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling and Ryan will be healthy and not suspended so it wouldn't be needed anyways.

I wouldn't mind that. I would, however, advise you to hold your horses on the kid. There was a report last week that both Harmon and Ryan were routinely coming off the field looking like their heads were spinning. It's a steep learning curve from the zone-heavy scheme they came from at Rutgers to this one.
I'm approaching the 2013 New England Patriots draft class with a positive mental attitude.

Duron Harmon - 2012 First Team All-Big East selection at the safety position.

This tidbit is nearly meaningless on multiple levels, and you repeating it is meaningless on pretty much every level.

In a scramble drill, rookie WR Aaron Dobson made a ridiculous leaping catch in the back corner of the end zone over two defenders. Tom Brady fired the ball high and into the corner, and Dobson used his body to box out the defenders and catch the ball at its highest point.

That's that basketball experience coming into play. The report makes me envision Randy Moss cira-2008 boxing out the Jets CB to catch that TD pass from Cassel near the end of regulation, except without the leaping part.

That JEST CB was Ty "feed my family" Law. :rocker:

Can't seem to link directly to the video, but if you go to nfl.com/videos, they've got a short spot on Mike Mayock talking about the Pats. FYI.

Is a mediocre wide out really going to have a bigger impact than a great special teamer though? For example, if Slater is out there for the 49ers in the super bowl maybe he makes that tackle on Jacoby Jones. I thought Cole wasn't that bad btw aside from the AFCCG. Not a guy you'd want to rely on, but he's decent depth. Hopefully Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling and Ryan will be healthy and not suspended so it wouldn't be needed anyways.

The team has had trouble with DB injuries dating back to the super bowl days. I was optimistic about our depth at the position but seeing Dowling already ailing is troubling. Looking back on it I'm even more surprised to see that in a down free agent market that corners weren't looked at more.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Eric Wright if he's healthy now or looking heavily at cuts made during preseason.

I share the same thought. And the majority I have seen say that Dobson gets off the line very well. I believe it was Talib who was asked about it after the first in-pads practice and he lauded Dobson's ability to beat press coverage.

Based on the various reports, I conclude that Dobson is inconsistent in how well he gets off the line. :p

The team has had trouble with DB injuries dating back to the super bowl days. I was optimistic about our depth at the position but seeing Dowling already ailing is troubling. Looking back on it I'm even more surprised to see that in a down free agent market that corners weren't looked at more.

I think a lot of us felt that way in regards to the position of CB, particularly with the average salaries down this FA period. Personally, I'd have liked to see another nice free agent prospect brought it myself but Belichick chose to go in another direction.

And really, with the money spent with retaining Talib/Arrington and Dennard coming off a decent rookie year I can at least understand the thinking that there are only so many spots to go around. On top of that Logan Ryan was brought in with a 3rd round pick and Dowling was expected to be healthier.

It makes sense that lots of Pats fans would worry about DB depth, considering some of the Troy Brown/Edelman moments over the past years, but it seems to me that we have some quality depth this year even if Ras-I misses significant time or doesn't make the 53. The long-term issue is that if Ras-I does definitively turn out to be a bust, then that makes the long-term retention of Talib and the continued availability of Dennard absolutely critical. I'm hoping that this year's Rutgers DB's turn out to be worth their picks. Otherwise I'm still having nightmares of Arrington trying to cover WR's on the outside! Maybe either Harmon or T. Wilson will end up being worth it.

Has anyone heard any mention of Jake (the bust) Bequette?

In what league is a 3rd round pick a bust?

I agree that it's pretty hard for a third round pick to bust. Not impossible, though. If Bequette never takes a regular season snap, then I'll probably go ahead and call him one.

In what league is a 3rd round pick a bust?

A league where you're selected 90th out 253 players. If he doesn't make the team this season and plays a total of 17 snaps for this team in his time here, he has to be considered a bust and an awful selection.

I'm hopeful he makes an impact this season, he may not of been prepared for the NFL last season but that doesn't mean he will never be.

I think a lot of us felt that way in regards to the position of CB, particularly with the average salaries down this FA period. Personally, I'd have liked to see another nice free agent prospect brought it myself but Belichick chose to go in another direction...

It's still not too late to sign Sheldon Brown, though it wouldn't surprise if he signed somewhere else
after this weekend.

A league where you're selected 90th out 253 players. If he doesn't make the team this season and plays a total of 17 snaps for this team in his time here, he has to be considered a bust and an awful selection.

I'm hopeful he makes an impact this season, he may not of been prepared for the NFL last season but that doesn't mean he will never be.

So I guess we'll have to wait for all those conditions to come to fruition before calling the guy a bust. Lots of "ifs" on this post.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back