PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2013 Training Camp (Day Nine, Mon Aug 5)

My only concern with Dobson is the occasional snippet about him struggling to get open. The Patriots offense and Tom Brady tend to rely on receivers getting open quickly and there seems to be some camp evidence that Dobson struggles in this aspect. Still, I think you're estimation is pretty good and hopefully at the lower end of expectations.

The Pats have one of the better OL's in the business with two very/good Book end tackles. Dobson more times than not will have enogh time to get open.:cool:

The Pats have one of the better OL's in the business with two very/good Book end tackles. Dobson more times than not will have enogh time to get open.:cool:

That's not how the Patriots operate though. If I remember correctly*, Brady got the ball out faster than any other QB last year.

I'm not saying Dobson won't be effective, just that it might limit his total number of catches.

*confirmed.

Sounds promising. Really want to see what Harrison can do:

https://twitter.com/SteveB7SFG/status/364416545583562752

As far as Harrison, I really hope they IR him. I would hate to see someone snag him off of our Practice Squad. Give him a year to learn the playbook, and make him especially familiar with some of AHern's former plays. I really think talent-wise, he could possibly pull that off. Maybe add some weight, at 6'3" 245 and running a 4.5 with a 38 vertical, he could be another tough redzone target.

As far as Harrison, I really hope they IR him. I would hate to see someone snag him off of our Practice Squad. Give him a year to learn the playbook, and make him especially familiar with some of AHern's former plays. I really think talent-wise, he could possibly pull that off. Maybe add some weight, at 6'3" 245 and running a 4.5 with a 38 vertical, he could be another tough redzone target.

With those measurables, he could be a tough anywhere target :)

I agree, they need to try and keep hold of him.

With those measurables, he could be a tough anywhere target :)

I agree, they need to try and keep hold of him.

Harrison actually ran a 4.46, but I'm guessing if he adds 10 pounds, he might slow down to 4.5.

Harrison actually ran a 4.46, but I'm guessing if he adds 10 pounds, he might slow down to 4.5.

If he's to succeed in an Ahern-type role it'll be his short range start-stop ability that'll be key.

They will PUP him. Then they can have him attend meetings and rehab. Then 6 weeks in he can practice with the team for free for a few weeks. They need the WR body (which they may), he is available. If not he can go to IR.

I think we will see him play this year assuming he healthy by week 6.

Idk why but the OL has me concerned a little. But still a long time to go.

My only concern with Dobson is the occasional snippet about him struggling to get open. The Patriots offense and Tom Brady tend to rely on receivers getting open quickly and there seems to be some camp evidence that Dobson struggles in this aspect. Still, I think you're estimation is pretty good and hopefully at the lower end of expectations.

The thing I like him about him is it looks like he's one of those guys that is open even while covered, like Boldin, for example.

They will PUP him. Then they can have him attend meetings and rehab. Then 6 weeks in he can practice with the team for free for a few weeks. They need the WR body (which they may), he is available. If not he can go to IR.

I think we will see him play this year assuming he healthy by week 6.

That would be very exciting, I'd love to see what this kid could do in the NFL, especially in OUR offense.

How can he be a waste of a roster spot if he is not on the roster?

hes on the roster taking up one of the 53 slots until we IR him or cut him lose.

The thing I like him about him is it looks like he's one of those guys that is open even while covered, like Boldin, for example.

Now that I agree with.

What I like about Dobson also is, he's seemed to master the art of raising his hands at almost the last moment, so he doesn't alert the DB that the ball is there until it's almost already in his hands. Randy Moss was great at that.

hes on the roster taking up one of the 53 slots until we IR him or cut him lose.

He is? Wow I did not know final cutdown happened already. 90 spots are avail now. I dont see how dedicating one of them to RID is an issue. LAst two years had him going to IR.

He has never been a waste of a roster spot. Just a disappointment.

I dont see Jenkins making the team...unless Rooks flame out in PS.

I thing the 6 WR you listed will be it. They wont carry 7. Too many needs and questions at TE and then you have the Vareen factor.

You mention short term IR for Gronk. Did you mean the In season new IR where he can come back? Because there is absolutely no well in hell they would use that on him.

That depends on if they're still intent on making the 2 TE; 2 WR; 1 RB their primary offensive set. If they're moving away from that they may only need to keep 2-3 TE's. It's also worth mentioning in 2011 "The Year of the Tight End" we only kept 2 TE's and occasionally added Dan Gronkowski for depth at different points in the season.

I could see us keeping 7 WR’s (including Slater) initially anyway till we have a better understanding of the group. I’m of the opinion that Jenkins will not be one of those 7 either way however.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back