PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2013 Training Camp (Day Nine, Mon Aug 5)

I agree. I think they brought him back too soon last year. This year they PUP Gronk (6 games). Keep Hooman, Fells, Suds.

I think putting Gronk on the PUP still has risks. That means he will have 9 months of not playing football and practicing. When he comes back in October he could be rusty or over amped up to play and then get hurt again. Players who are out of game rhythm can end up hurt very easily.

With the other TEs looking good it does pave the way for them to be without Gronk for 6 weeks. But medically he should be cleared by the start of the season.

Glad to see McCourty's red jersey back at practice. When it didn't practice on Saturday, I was concerned it was a serious injury. The red jersey is seriously on the roster bubble and if it didn't get back in practice quickly I figured it would go to IR or not make the first cut. It still a long shot to make the team, but since it is back on the field and getting snaps with the first defense it might have a shot.

Glad to see McCourty's red jersey back at practice. When it didn't practice on Saturday, I was concerned it was a serious injury. The red jersey is seriously on the roster bubble and if it didn't get back in practice quickly I figured it would go to IR or not make the first cut. It still a long shot to make the team, but since it is back on the field and getting snaps with the first defense it might have a shot.

Maybe the Pats only have a limited # of these jerseys, that's why Glass IR isn't on the field.

What are the chances of us cutting Glass-I?

Seems like a wasted roster spot every year.

I think the problem was that the red jersey just isn't positionally flexible. Can't make the move to CB and is a safety only. No wonder it's on the bubble.

What are the chances of us cutting Glass-I?

Seems like a wasted roster spot every year.

How can he be a waste of a roster spot if he is not on the roster?

This is going to hurt Jenkins' chances too. With Edelman back, and Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce impressing, there are only so many spots open. Jenkins has to be back for some preseason games to make it. At this point, I'd be shocked if Thompkins DOESN'T make the top 53 anyway.

Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, Edelman and Slater seem like locks. I don't know if they'll carry 7 WR's, especially since I think they will have to start with Hooman, Fells, Zudfeld at TE, and maybe Ballard, with Gronk on short term IR.

Pretty much agree with all of that, I think Jenkins is gone. That is also the WR corp that I think will make the final cut. I am only doubtful about Ballard, reports that he missed last practice because of knee soreness, clearly shows the knee is not 100% yet. The guy probably needs a slowly, slowly approach to get back into real game action. But with September fast approaching and Gronk out, I don't think we can afford another crocked TE.

I think the problem was that the red jersey just isn't positionally flexible. Can't make the move to CB and is a safety only. No wonder it's on the bubble.

Bill refused to elaborate but did say red jersey, "did some good things, and some things that could be better. Red jersey and the whole team are working hard to improve. Coaches have to coach better, players have to play better and red jersey needs to fit better."

I don't know, Rob. What do you see in McCourty's red jersey that puts it over Brady's? Tom's has more experience and covers a more valuable position yet still can't seem to make the cut...

I know it's very early, but I'm just getting the impression that Dobson is going to have a good season. Maybe not a great season, but I can easily see him with a 40+ catch 500+ yards 5+ TD season. 30+ catches out of Sudfeld would not surprise me either. I just think these guys are proving to Brady and the Pats that they can be reliable. I think overall, Dobson can wind up a very good receiver, a guy who catches 60-70 passes a season and 8-10 TDs a year. He will always play second fiddle to Amendola on the Pats as far as receivers (and 3rd overall behind Gronk too). BUT, I think he will be a huge upgrade to that 3rd most important target that we haven't had since Gaffney. I know Lloyd had a DECENT season, but I think Dobson can be way more explosive.

I know it's very early, but I'm just getting the impression that Dobson is going to have a good season. Maybe not a great season, but I can easily see him with a 40+ catch 500+ yards 5+ TD season. 30+ catches out of Sudfeld would not surprise me either. I just think these guys are proving to Brady and the Pats that they can be reliable. I think overall, Dobson can wind up a very good receiver, a guy who catches 60-70 passes a season and 8-10 TDs a year. He will always play second fiddle to Amendola on the Pats as far as receivers (and 3rd overall behind Gronk too). BUT, I think he will be a huge upgrade to that 3rd most important target that we haven't had since Gaffney. I know Lloyd had a DECENT season, but I think Dobson can be way more explosive.

My only concern with Dobson is the occasional snippet about him struggling to get open. The Patriots offense and Tom Brady tend to rely on receivers getting open quickly and there seems to be some camp evidence that Dobson struggles in this aspect. Still, I think you're estimation is pretty good and hopefully at the lower end of expectations.

My only concern with Dobson is the occasional snippet about him struggling to get open. The Patriots offense and Tom Brady tend to rely on receivers getting open quickly and there seems to be some camp evidence that Dobson struggles in this aspect. Still, I think you're estimation is pretty good and hopefully at the lower end of expectations.

I've seen tweets that he struggles to get past the line of scrimmage on the press defense, but then I've seen tweets that he beats it with slick moves and strength, so I don't know what to believe. I haven't seen any snippets about him having trouble to get open, just beating the press at the LOS.

I've seen tweets that he struggles to get past the line of scrimmage on the press defense, but then I've seen tweets that he beats it with slick moves and strength, so I don't know what to believe. I haven't seen any snippets about him having trouble to get open, just beating the press at the LOS.
I share the same thought. And the majority I have seen say that Dobson gets off the line very well. I believe it was Talib who was asked about it after the first in-pads practice and he lauded Dobson's ability to beat press coverage.

You're surprised that Glass-IR isn't practicing today? I'd be more surprised if he was.

Seriously though good thing we are not depending on him.:snob:

Pretty much agree with all of that, I think Jenkins is gone. That is also the WR corp that I think will make the final cut. I am only doubtful about Ballard, reports that he missed last practice because of knee soreness, clearly shows the knee is not 100% yet. The guy probably needs a slowly, slowly approach to get back into real game action. But with September fast approaching and Gronk out, I don't think we can afford another crocked TE.

You'll be pleased that Ballard was out there today. I THINK that the Pats are gonna be giving him a day or so off now and then this month as his rehab continues and swelling gets treated. A real battle for TE even w/o El Kielbasa on the field...Ballard, Fells, Hoo & Studfeld.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back