PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2013 Training Camp (Day Nine, Mon Aug 5)

He is? Wow I did not know final cutdown happened already. 90 spots are avail now. I dont see how dedicating one of them to RID is an issue. LAst two years had him going to IR.

He has never been a waste of a roster spot. Just a disappointment.

I'm force choking you through the internet for being so facetious.

8 out of 32 games played, 7 total tackles, 3 total assists, 1 pass defended.

Thats a wasted roster spot in my eyes

If he's to succeed in an Ahern-type role it'll be his short range start-stop ability that'll be key.

His hometown is also in CT, so may be he can succeed in Hernandez's role as New England area Thug :violent:

I am not trying to be facetious. I think you can call it a waste of a pick. Its a waste of a roster spot if he is on the roster and sucks....Or if they passed on keeping a better CB because they wanted to see if RID could play.

I see what you are getting at about him being a waste. But they really arent wasting a technical roster sport if they IR him right away. I cant think of a CB we dumped that would have been so great as to make the risk of RID not worth it.

Right now he is just one of 90. I dont know what is up with him or what to think. I hope he gets healthy and makes the 53/45. Lets give him a few more weeks as we have 90 players to evaluate. Costs the team nothing right now for a look at him.

His hometown is also in CT, so may be he can succeed in Hernandez's role as New England area Thug :violent:

Thanks but no thanks:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Patriots 2013 Training Camp (Day Nine, Mon Aug 5)

Thanks but no thanks:rolleyes:

:lol: I was joking... I see Harrison as more of a down the field type player.

Maybe it's just me but if a guy is not on the roster, I don't see how he's a waste of a roster space

You're surprised that Glass-IR isn't practicing today? I'd be more surprised if he was.

Listen, you couldn't be more wrong. Are we going to have this argument every time someone posts about Dowling? I think this shows just how little you know.

Specifically - his nickname should be Ras-IR!!!!

Maybe it's just me but if a guy is not on the roster, I don't see how he's a waste of a roster space

hes been on the roster the past two years, if he were to make the team this year he would be on the team this year. My question is what are the chances or cutting him this year, as if he were to make the team I see him as a wasted roster spot.

Thus my question, what are the chances that we cut him?

also regardless of if he gets IR'd he still counts against the cap, which is wasted cap space.

Quentin Sims had a late start, but I think he is doing better than Jenkins/Aiken. In jump-ball situations he seems to come away it every time and also seems to be getting open quicker than Dobson. I think he would be a candidate to make 53 if any of the other wr's get hurt.

hes been on the roster the past two years, if he were to make the team this year he would be on the team this year. My question is what are the chances or cutting him this year, as if he were to make the team I see him as a wasted roster spot.

Thus my question, what are the chances that we cut him?

also regardless of if he gets IR'd he still counts against the cap, which is wasted cap space.

I'm not sure why you're having a problem with this question from others, it seems pretty clear cut to me. I think that now we have better depth at the CB position, there doesn't look to be much preventing a Dowling cut unless:

1) His current injury really is very minor and has no bearing on his Ras-IR/Glass-I* standing

2). BB still sees a lot of potential in him. His length is similar to Talib and if they're not hopeful of retaining Talib, maybe they still see Dowling as providing that length at the position.

* There seems to be a bit of a Patsfans schism developing between Ras-IR and Glass-I. We need mediation soon before this develops into a fully blown civil war.

I'm not sure why you're having a problem with this question from others, it seems pretty clear cut to me. I think that now we have better depth at the CB position, there doesn't look to be much preventing a Dowling cut unless:

1) His current injury really is very minor and has no bearing on his Ras-IR/Glass-I* standing

2). BB still sees a lot of potential in him. His length is similar to Talib and if they're not hopeful of retaining Talib, maybe they still see Dowling as providing that length at the position.

* There seems to be a bit of a Patsfans schism developing between Ras-IR and Glass-I. We need mediation soon before this develops into a fully blown civil war.

The suggestion of many to cut Dowling doesn’t seem to make a ton of sense to me; he costs more to cut than to keep in terms of cap and the only thing that prevents him from being a potential impact player is injuries, not performance. If Dowling was a player who did not merit being on the 53 man roster this season I would put him on injured reserve because if he is released I guarantee he will be picked up by another team almost immediately. I’m not going to take the chance of him landing with a team like the Ravens or Broncos to do what Gerald McCoy did last season for TB and finally get past the injuries and put together a breakout season.

The ends have to justify the means and I see no compelling reason to release Dowling.

Worst practice yet. They weren't going hard in any drill. Nothing to report.

Lame. :(

:lol: I was joking... I see Harrison as more of a down the field type player.

He is, trying to turn him into Hernandez is a pipe dream. Its like trying to turn Wes Welker into Steve Smith, just because they have similar size doesn't mean they have similar skill sets. This whole Harrison as a Hernandez type player thing started here and it needs to end here because the comparison couldn't be more off.

He is, trying to turn him into Hernandez is a pipe dream. Its like trying to turn Wes Welker into Steve Smith, just because they have similar size doesn't mean they have similar skill sets. This whole Harrison as a Hernandez type player thing started here and it needs to end here because the comparison couldn't be more off.

I plead guilty for my wish

That depends on if they're still intent on making the 2 TE; 2 WR; 1 RB their primary offensive set. If they're moving away from that they may only need to keep 2-3 TE's. It's also worth mentioning in 2011 "The Year of the Tight End" we only kept 2 TE's and occasionally added Dan Gronkowski for depth at different points in the season.

I could see us keeping 7 WR’s (including Slater) initially anyway till we have a better understanding of the group. I’m of the opinion that Jenkins will not be one of those 7 either way however.

FWIW, that was clearly not by choice and all the moves the Pats have made since then indicate that the were uncomfortable being in that position.

I can't find the injury thread, so I'll put this here:

Another top contender loses an important player to a popped ACL...

Green Bay - Tackle Bryan Bulaga, a mainstay of the Green Bay Packers' offensive line, suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament Saturday night in the intra-squad scrimmage and will miss the entire season based on the diagnosis of the team's medical staff, a source told the Journal Sentinel Monday morning.

The Packers, according to the source, now are focusing on how to replace Bulaga, who was shifted from right tackle to left tackle in May.

Packers' diagnosis is that Bryan Bulaga out with torn ACL - JSOnline

BTW- if talking about today's practice is still allowed.....I think the most positive thing I can say about the WR situation is the releases of veteran WR's like Hawkins and Jones. These were guys that would still be on the team if 3 rookies weren't looking so good thus far. The final "seal of approval" to the rookie WR class will be the release of Mike Jenkins.

Also, what the Pats are doing in virtually completely revamping the best receiving corps in the league, will only prove (if successful) a prime theory of mine (and I think BB's as well), that the WR skill group is the most replaceable position in the NFL, and thus the most over rated skill position.

Witness. Last season the Pats had the 4th best passing attack in the league, as well as being the top total offense in the league. When this season starts, the only likely returnees to the receiving corps will be Gronk and Edelman (who missed most of last season). If at the end on THIS season the Pats are somewhere in the top 10 passing offenses, it will once again prove why BB has never made a WR a first round pick.

I hope my attempt to talk football won't upset too many, who'd rather stand on the sidelines and just yell at each other.

BTW- another interesting TC observation concerning the WR has been the unanimous positive reviews about Danny Amendola.

I can't find the injury thread, so I'll put this here:

Another top contender loses an important player to a popped ACL...

Packers' diagnosis is that Bryan Bulaga out with torn ACL - JSOnline

Looks like they'll be starting a 4th round rookie at LT.

Same ole Packers for the 3rd year in a row. Insane WR core, weak O-line, non-existent running game, and a soft defense. Rodgers will put up his numbers, get sacked 50+ times, lose in round 1, and be proclaimed the undisputed best QB in the league again.

Same ole Packers for the 3rd year in a row. Insane WR core, weak O-line, non-existent running game, and a soft defense. Rodgers will put up his numbers, get sacked 50+ times, lose in round 1, and be proclaimed the undisputed best QB in the league again.

And Brady will put up similar numbers with a bunch of rooks have a deep playoff run beat Peyton twice and the media will yawn and proclaim the Broncos the favorites for next year

They love Lacey right now, in terms of the running game. If he can get him going in the regular season, the Packers will be the best offense in the NFL.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back