Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
As you will all know in the 2007 draft the Pats gave up:

Round 1 - Pick 28

and received

Round 4 - Pick 110
Round 1 Pick (2008)

...from the SF 49'rs.

(We of course then traded the 4th round pick to Oakland for Randy Moss :singing: )

The question is what do you think of this trade at the time ? As we had already bagged Meriweather in the 1st round do you think BB/Pioli thought there wasn't enough talent to merit another 1st round pick ? Did the Pats honestly expect the 49'rs to be as bad this season or would they have been expecting to get a pick in the 15-20 range ?

PaulC.

Last edited:
We actually traded our own #4 not the one we got from SF.

ADid the Pats honestly expect the 49'rs to be as bad this season or would they have been expecting to get a pick in the 15-20 range ?
I don't know what the Patriots though - I know that I thought the 49ers were overated, they allowed the most points in the league last year and had the 4th worst point differential + lost the OC for a young QB. I thought they would have to play better than last year to match their 7-9 record simply because the point differential numbers seemed to indicate they were somewhat lucky. I'm not surprised the pick is better than many - who thought the 49ers were going to the playoffs - thought but I never imagined they'd be THIS bad.

no, i think he is right, it was the 49'r pick
Yeh...I thought R4 (Pick 110) went to Oakland. We then took Kareem Brown with our own 4th rounder :rocker:

We actually traded our own #4 not the one we got from SF.

No, that is incorrect.
The New England Patriots acquired veteran wide receiver Randy Moss from the Oakland Raiders in exchange for a fourth-round selection in the 2007 NFL Draft (110th overall).
link

49ers trade up with Patriots

San Francisco 49ers: Acquire pick No. 28 (selected OT Joe Staley).
New England Patriots: Acquire pick No. 110 and a first-round pick in 2008.
Scouts take: The 49ers aggressively moved up in the backend of the first round to acquire LT Joe Staley. By selecting Staley the 49ers can move LT Jonas Jennings to the right side and drastically improve their offensive line. The 49ers have been shopping both RG Justin Smiley and the underachieving RT Kwame Harris throughout the offseason. Staley was a former TE who was converted to RT in 2004. He is a very good athlete with outstanding feet, balance and control but needs to improve his total body strength.
The Patriots got great value acquiring the 49ers' first-round pick in 2008 and a fourth this season. The Patriots like to acquire future No. 1 picks.

Patriots acquire WR Randy Moss from Raiders

New England Patriots: Acquire WR Randy Moss.
Oakland Raiders: Acquire pick No. 110 (fourth round).
Scouts take: The Patriots have been the most aggressive team in the league this offseason, and with the addition of Moss have easily positioned themselves as the team to beat heading into the 2007 season.
One of New England's major concerns heading into this offseason was the lack of playmakers around Tom Brady. The Patriots quickly addressed that in March, adding wide receivers Wes Welker, Donte' Stallworth and Kelley Washington. However, Moss gives this team a legitimate No. 1 receiver with explosive playmaking skills.
link

Last edited:
I can admit that I didn't like the trade initially because I thought that the 49ers played better than people were giving them credit for. Alex Smith took a step backwards with the loss of Norm and the 49ers had a lot of key injuries.

NOW, I have to say that it was a calculated risk that the Pats were willing to take and its working out to their benefit as they will probably parlay that pick into 2 or 3 additional picks or a pick and a very good player.

As you will all know in the 2007 draft the Pats gave up:

Round 1 - Pick 28

and received

Round 4 - Pick 110
Round 1 Pick (2008)

...from the SF 49'rs.

(We of course then traded the 4th round pick to Oakland for Randy Moss :singing: )

The question is what do you think of this trade at the time ? As we had already bagged Meriweather in the 1st round do you think BB/Pioli thought there wasn't enough talent to merit another 1st round pick ? Did the Pats honestly expect the 49'rs to be as bad this season or would they have been expecting to get a pick in the 15-20 range ?

PaulC.

BB said after the draft it was a value decision, pick #28 is near the end of the first round. He and SP figured that the odds were better that the pick would be lower than 28 and provide more value, I doubt the saw a 3-13 season coming.

Essentionally the Patriots traded pick #28 for one of the greatest seasons ever by a WR (Moss) and a potential probowl running back (McFadden). McFadden and Moss for pick #28, say that out loud, guaranteed to make you smile.

In retrospect I have been as critical of the 2007 draft as anyone but even though they haven't got an ounce of production from the college rookies, Welker and Moss have been unreal. The 50+ offensive lineman they draft raised the level of competition, even though none of them made ithe team, look at how well the line is playing this year. Maybe Kaczur needed a kick in the pants.

Random Note - How about some props for the Hoch! I totally forgot that Neal was out.

Well we are on it, I would have preferred David Harris instead of Merriweather but beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited:
Well we are on it, I would have preferred David Harris instead of Merriweather but beggars can't be choosers.
You and me both - although I don't know if beggars is a good way to call it :)

Don't the Patriots own the Raiders round 3 pick as well?

Don't the Patriots own the Raiders round 3 pick as well?
Yeah, that was our #3 last year for the Raiders' #3 this year. Remarkable that we're set up so strongly for the draft despite having a #1 taken from us.

I can admit that I didn't like the trade initially because I thought that the 49ers played better than people were giving them credit for. Alex Smith took a step backwards with the loss of Norm and the 49ers had a lot of key injuries.

NOW, I have to say that it was a calculated risk that the Pats were willing to take and its working out to their benefit as they will probably parlay that pick into 2 or 3 additional picks or a pick and a very good player.

Yea, I also wasn't sure about the trade at the time. The Patriots seemed to have a few talented players sitting there for the taking, and I didn't think giving up that pick for a 2008 first, plus a 2007 4th was fair value. At the time everyone was talking about the 49ers improving, and how they could have a better record than 2006, so I thought their pick would be in the 16-21 range.

Now it looks like a great trade because NE essentially got a top 2-5 overall pick in the 2008 draft and Randy Moss, while the 49ers get Joe Staley.

I can't remember everything that was said in the war room during that trade, but I'm not sure NE expected the 49ers 2007 record to be so bad.

The Falcons wanted the pick too, but they offered even less than the 49ers.

At the time? I was fine with trading the pick away to the future, but thought that a mere 4th in return was awfully low. (The fact that we ended up trading that 4th to Oakland for Moss has nothing to do with whether the deal with the 49ers was a good one.) All in all, I took it as a sign that the 2007 draft class really was as lousy as it looked.

Still annoyed about Stewart Bradley, though! :bricks:

That has got to be one of the best NFL trades of all time ... of course, it can't compare to getting an entire draft for Ricky Williams, but that was insanity.

I loved the trade even when we were thinking it would be a pick in the 20's since BB/Pioli CLEARLY felt - as did the experts - that this draft class was a total CRAPFEST. The Pats displayed a good deal of disdain for the draft this year, and rightfully so - so getting a pick in the the 2008 draft, rumored to be a much better class - was a no-brainer, IMO.

I'm ok with the idea of that trade, i.e. trading for a #1 next year, but I thought (I still think) the Patriots got ripped off. Never have I seen such a trade with a team receiving only a 4th round pick in return.

Thanks for all the replies. The trade business does seem a lottery but on this occasion it appears we had the winning ticket :rocker:

I was ok with the trade at the time. It wasn't a great draft, we had already addressed some of the offensive concerns. There was a chance that the 2008 pick would have been in the teens or early 20s.

Little did I know that it would result in getting Moss and possibly the 2nd overall pick :rocker:

The irony in all of this, of course, is that the patriots were "stripped" of their number one pick after spygate.

However, if you look at any "Draft Trade" chart, the average value of the number 2--5 picks (where SF will probably fall) is 2,075 "points."

The average value of the number 29--32 picks (where there is little doubt the Pats stolen pick will fall) is 612 "points."

So, they are holding a pick that is worth three or four times the pick they lost.

When Draft Day draws nearer, especially if we have gone 19--0 and won the SB, the resentment around the league and among the chattering media will grow to a fever pitch. That will be wonderful!

This is all dubious though, since the 199 pick, where a certain QB was taken in 2000, is worth 11.8 points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand