PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Kirwan says his close source to the team says NE will be bidding hard for Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pat Kirwan says his close source to the team says NE will be bidding hard for Pep

Obviously, I am being sarcastic.
You may have been being sarcastic, but it wasn't obvious :D

Re: Pat Kirwan says his close source to the team says NE will be bidding hard for Pep

Does anyone think that all this speculation about Peppers (presumably for Cassel in some manner) is disinformation spready by the Pats through Kirwan to stir up the pot a bit for teams who are trying to bluff their way to Cassel?

So, here's one for BOR: do you trade Cassel even up for Julius Peppers and convert him to OLB, or even up to KC for #34 or Detroit for #33 and use the pick to draft Connor Barwin and convert him to OLB?
I'm not BOR, just a LPOG (little pile of gravel( but I think you have cut to the heart of the matter. Why trade for a draft pick to draft a guy that probably will never be as good as Peppers?

Certainly you go with a proven Peppers rather than a early second or even a late first round draft pick flyer.

So, here's one for BOR: do you trade Cassel even up for Julius Peppers and convert him to OLB, or even up to KC for #34 or Detroit for #33 and use the pick to draft Connor Barwin and convert him to OLB? Presumably we could get more than 33/34 for Cassel, but let's make it an even swap to simplify things.
I'm not a big Peppers fan, though I have little doubt he could make the transition to OLB in a 3-4. Trading for Peppers is the "sure" thing, in the sense you know reaching an agreement lands you the player you wanted. Hoping you can manipulate the draft to get Barwin when you want him is in no way a certainty - and you still have to wait for him to learn to play in the NFL.

My question, is a 29 year old Peppers an equivalent value to a 26 year old Cassel? We're talking a premium pass rusher vs. a franchise QB, I'd argue Carolina would need to toss a Day Two pick onto their side of the scale, assuming Cassel is a Top 10 QB.

Does anyone think that all this speculation about Peppers (presumably for Cassel in some manner) is disinformation spready by the Pats through Kirwan to stir up the pot a bit for teams who are trying to bluff their way to Cassel?

Could be, but isn't the central argument in favor of Cassel that he is an established starter and not an unproven commodity? The same could be argued RE: the value of Peppers. I don't understand the value of the shakedown when there is a player of his stature involved. IMO, it would take a pile of draftpicks to pull attention away from Pep. Hell, we're already in position to take some great future contributors during the draft as is. What this defense needs is a day one contributor. Of course Peppers likely won't see his full potential during his first year here, he is certainly an impact player and would represent the most athletic linebacker Belichick has had since Taylor.

I'm not BOR, just a LPOG (little pile of gravel( but I think you have cut to the heart of the matter. Why trade for a draft pick to draft a guy that probably will never be as good as Peppers?

Certainly you go with a proven Peppers rather than a early second or even a late first round draft pick flyer.
Awww, you're only an LPOG because you're so fond of bumping heads with the hard place. :youtheman:

Ummmmm, I ain't gonna lie, or pretend I know as much as the guru's on here.

but the thought of a Peppers for Cassel trade (with a semi cap-friendly deal) and a healthy TB at the helm next year makes me hard.

Last edited:

What i'm saying is if we could work out a way to get Moss then we should be able towork out a way to get Peppers thats all. It seems an unlikely thing but a few years ago so didn't moss. Maninly because at the time he didn't seem like a bb type of player with all his baggage.

BTW this is a great time of year to be a fan you never know whats going to happen. What was it two yeas ago we got AD,Welker, Stallworth all within a couple of weeks.

Of course, I realize that. I always assume if they show interest they can work something out because it almost always involves a player that wants to make it work.

They're not in the habit of throwing money around to make a splash.

but the thought of a Peppers for Cassel trade (with a semi cap-friendly deal) and a healthy TB at the helm next year makes me hard.
Breath..in..out..in..out, splash some cold water on your face...or just stick your head outside for a few minutes and you'll be okay. :D

This trade would assume that the Panthers are in the market for Cassel. From what I've heard from Panthers fans, they seem cold to the idea. Not that it matters, but I haven't heard any rumblings about the Panthers front office regarding Cassel...

That said, I would LOVE to see Peppers on this team, BB would find ways to take advantage of his freak athletic ability all over the field!

This trade would assume that the Panthers are in the market for Cassel. From what I've heard from Panthers fans, they seem cold to the idea. Not that it matters, but I haven't heard any rumblings about the Panthers front office regarding Cassel...

Not necessarily, Cassel could be moved for picks, picks moved for Peppers.

eeeuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwww

TMFI

That's true, Cassel could be traded and Peppers could be had for picks afterwards. If BB is confident in his transition to 3-4 OLB I'd be all for it.

Bill would love to use JP.
Our pass rush attack would be insane.

Think of the pressure and chaos our front line would create!:D

Bill would love to use JP.
Our pass rush attack would be insane.

Think of the pressure and chaos our front line would create!:D
Warren Wilfork Seymour
Vrabel Thomas Mayo Peppers

YOW.

Warren Wilfork Seymour

YOW.

I hope Thomas stays outside and I really think Guyton will be a factor inside this year.

I hope Thomas stays outside and I really think Guyton will be a factor inside this year.
If we were to get Peppers, either Vrabel or Thomas would have to be inside.

Warren Wilfork Seymour

YOW.

What about Thomas-Vrabel/Guyton-Mayo-Peppers?

yeah i'd rather have Thomas and Peppers as the OLBs with Vrabes inside

I'd take an OLB rotation of Thomas, Vrabes and Peppers outside with a combination of Bruschi/Actual SILB/Guyton and Mayo on the inside. While Vrabes is good inside, name one 3-4 OLB in the NFL who sets the edge as well as he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News