PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Kirwan says his close source to the team says NE will be bidding hard for Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pat Kirwan says his close source to the team says NE will be bidding hard for Pep

No he is NOT. You could get the Skins not so shiny toy from Miami, for a couple of million a year, and a draft pick. You could trade for Suggs and pay half the price and a draft pick. You could do both, and still have $4 million left over. You could draft one, do all three, and still have $3 million left over...:eek:

I would agree with all this, IF Baltimore were shopping Suggs, IF Taylor weren't a 35-year-old DE, and IF Peppers were expecting to play under the current franchise tender. As is, though, I think Peppers looks pretty good.

Re: Pat Kirwan says his close source to the team says NE will be bidding hard for Pep

I would be willing to bet that many NFL GM's would rank an elite pass rusher just slightly behind a good QB.

I would say that a top QB, left OT, and pass rusher (usually DE) are probably the 3 most highly valued positions in football.

You could trade for Suggs and pay half the price and a draft pick.

Be my guest, go right ahead and get it done, with my blessing. With the extra money saved, get them to throw in Haloti Ngata. Then sell the secret of how you did it for a gazillion dollars.

If we had wanted to trade for Suggs, the best opportunity we ever had was last year when we had the #7 pick. Either we didn't think he was worth it, or Baltimore didn't think that was enough. There wasn't any rumor that it was even seriously considered. What do we have to trade that Baltimore wants that would possibly convince them to part ways with Suggs?

No. Peppers tag amount isn't the "top 5 average", its the "or 120% of the previous year"

Thanks for the clarification.

As a non-exclusive franchise player - It can either be one or the other, Top 5 average or 20% previous salary - Whichever is greater.

I hope peppers fills the void that vrabel left behind.

Ordway and Curran are saying their sources say there's nothing to the Peppers rumors.

might this be the curran who said tom brady's knee was at the bottom of the hudson river?

might this be the curran who said tom brady's knee was at the bottom of the hudson river?

Lol :D That's the one.

Last edited:

Curran was also talking about Ray Lewis and Vilma earlier complete BS!..

Something is stewing for sure and Kirwan is not some Tomasi..

So this rumor is dead right? I don't even think we have enough fire power to get him now unless we part with #23.

Last edited:

So this rumor is dead right? I don't even think we have enough fire power to get him now unless we part with #23.
Cassel to the Panthers for Peppers is obviously dead. Peppers to the Patriots who now has a hole at OLB wouldn't seem to be dead to me. If anything, it would appear to be more likely since I highly doubt they go into the year with TBC or Woods starting at OLB.

Patriots have a lot of fire power to get him. They now have the cap space after dealing Cassel, they have 3 2nd rounders and the #23 pick. They have as much fire power as anyone in the NFL to land him.

I question whether they actually will since he's going to cost a significant amount in both picks and salary plus he'll be moved to a position he's never played, but I don't think Peppers to the Patriots as a possibility has died due to the Cassel/Vrabel trade.

If we had gotten more for Cassel, I'd see the Pats going after Peppers, but now I'm not so sure, unless a combo involving 2nd round picks will be enough to get Peppers. I think the Pats might make a draft day deal for Peppers with a 2nd + extras. Well that is if the Panthers don't get a ransom (1st rounder+) for Peppers before then.

Last edited:

If we had gotten more for Cassel, I'd see the Pats going after Peppers, but now I'm not so sure, unless a combo involving 2nd round picks will be enough to get Peppers. I think the Pats might make a draft day deal for Peppers with a 2nd + extras. Well that is if the Panthers don't get a ransom (1st rounder+) for Peppers before then.

I see the Pats going after Peppers as being more likely now than before. The fact is, Carolina didn't seem that interested in Cassel, whereas they need draft picks (no 1st rounder) and we have more than anyone, they are in salary cap hell, and Peppers has said he doesn't want to play there. All of that would suggest that they would be willing to move him quickly for picks. The question is how much it would take to get him, how much it would take to sign him, and whether BB is convinced Peppers can be an impact player at 3-4 OLB.

If I were the Pats I would offer #34, which is equivalent to a late 1st rounder at least in most drafts (possibly better given the lower contract it brings), with a willingness to toss in another pick or upgrade it to #23. I don't think Carolina would get more than a 1st round pick at this point.

If BB thinks Peppers will project well to OLB, that I would trade #23 for him in a heart beat! We could have a deadly pass rush off the edge, and still have three 2nd round picks in a draft that's very deep. :D

If BB thinks Peppers will project well to OLB, that I would trade #23 for him in a heart beat! We could have a deadly pass rush off the edge, and still have three 2nd round picks in a draft that's very deep. :D

BB would never make a trade like that. Unless he thought this was the end of the line for the team, making a last run at Super Bowls.

You can't give up #1 draft choices AND pay $10 million contracts. This is exactly what hurt us in the Matt Cassel situation. No one wants to PAY and LOSE a draft pick. We have to do the math here. What's the Patriot rate for hitting on 1st round draft choices? Seymour, Mankins, Watson, Merriweather, Maroney, Wilfork, Mayo, Warren. 6 out of 8. Not bad. Now look at how much these players earned on average in their first contract. You're essentially trading Mankins/Wilfork at $2 million a year for Peppers at $10 million a year. That's the trade right there. Is it worth it? You'd have a hard time convincing me. I might rather have, say, Mankins/Wilfork + a $8 million a year free agent over Peppers.

they could swap peppers and seymour and add a 2nd rounder to the panthers. So many things which can happen . just like we didnt predict the vrabel trade, other things can happen too.

BB would never make a trade like that. Unless he thought this was the end of the line for the team, making a last run at Super Bowls.

You can't give up #1 draft choices AND pay $10 million contracts. This is exactly what hurt us in the Matt Cassel situation. No one wants to PAY and LOSE a draft pick. We have to do the math here. What's the Patriot rate for hitting on 1st round draft choices? Seymour, Mankins, Watson, Merriweather, Maroney, Wilfork, Mayo, Warren. 6 out of 8. Not bad. Now look at how much these players earned on average in their first contract. You're essentially trading Mankins/Wilfork at $2 million a year for Peppers at $10 million a year. That's the trade right there. Is it worth it? You'd have a hard time convincing me. I might rather have, say, Mankins/Wilfork + a $8 million a year free agent over Peppers.

Matt Schaub and Roy Williams are just two recent examples of trades that netted more picks and resulted in the team acquiring the player handing out a large contract.

I'd rather have Makins/Wilfork and a 8 million a year free agent as well, but I am not sure you have to make that choice. The Patriots can always franchise Wilfork for 2010, controlling him for another year. Mankins? I have a hard time seeing the Patriots paying the 7 million a year going rate for offensive guards, my guess is that he will have to take a Patriot discount to stay.

Here's an interesting link that I had previously missed, from the Providence Journal on the Cassel trade:

First update: Matt Cassel headed to Kansas City | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

According to the article: "The return seems extremely light, especially since the Chicago Tribune reported the Pats were seeking either first- and third-round draft picks, or two second-rounders, for Cassel alone. But speculation is New England is attempting to clear cap space to make a run at a high-priced free agent or trade for a high-priced veteran.

One scenario being floated about is the Pats attempting to trade for Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers, who was given the franchise tag by the Panthers. Adam Schefter of the NFL Network has reported that New England is the only AFC team to whom Peppers will approve a trade, and it's possible that if the Panthers trade him, they want to deal him out of the NFC."

I had previously heard that Peppers wanted to be traded to one of 4 teams, with only one being in the AFC, but this is the first I've heard of a reliable source claiming that Peppers listed NE as the AFC team. Interesting if true.

For what its worth, the Carolina message boards that I've looked at are rife with speculation about NE trading for Peppers. Two 2nd round picks seems to be a popular price. Just fan speculation, but interesting.

Matt Schaub and Roy Williams are just two recent examples of trades that netted more picks and resulted in the team acquiring the player handing out a large contract.

I'd rather have Makins/Wilfork and a 8 million a year free agent as well, but I am not sure you have to make that choice. The Patriots can always franchise Wilfork for 2010, controlling him for another year. Mankins? I have a hard time seeing the Patriots paying the 7 million a year going rate for offensive guards, my guess is that he will have to take a Patriot discount to stay.

Well, I can't argue with you about Schaub, but Roy Williams? I wrote: unless Belichick thought it was end of the line.

And so yes, I think Jerry Jones was blowing his wad to win it this year. He crushed his team with that trade.

For what its worth, the Carolina message boards that I've looked at are rife with speculation about NE trading for Peppers. Two 2nd round picks seems to be a popular price. Just fan speculation, but interesting.

If Bill is sold on the guy as an elite OLB, even just for 3-5 years, this deal is pretty sensible.

We will still have the average amount of draft picks and we got a lot of guys last year that we really need to see again this year, including UDFA's sticking (Guyton at least). There simply have to be eyes on next year's draft and this year's final 53 while thinking pick use through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes