PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overall Needs After Further Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regard to our own free agents, I probably differ slightly from you.

I expect them to re-sign Davis, Evans, Gardner, Izzo, and Mickens.

Brown will be re-signed if he does not retire and also Seau if he cannot

find a job on the West Coast. Except for Izzo, they are all minimum

salary players.

I hope they franchise Samuel and re-sign Graham but I am not very

confident that they will do so. I will be pleased if I am wrong.

With regard to our RFAs, I believe we will give Gay the second level

tender offer to protect ourselves at cornerback. With regard to Baker,

Mruczkowski, and Yates, I don't know if the Pats would tie down 2.5

million dollars in tender offers. I believe tender offer money is guaranteed

money.

I would rate our needs as follows;

1) ILB- The need for youth and speed
2) SS - need someone to replace RH
3) DB - Like everyone else
4) WR - Need deep threat, for Brady, everything for Brady.
5) OL - need a run blocker, or it will be a repeat of this year.
6) RB - for post Dillon

Would love to sign Samuels, and a FA ILB. If you have the money, spend it!

Mine look like:
1.)FS (Geno cant stay healthy. Hawkins, Sanders are excellent depth. Period)
2.)ILB (Any doubts here?)
3.)CB (I wont quantify #1 or #2 until we know what happens with Asante.)
4.)SS (Rodney is near the end. Get his replacement now.)
5.)OLB (We have 1 with Woods. Next one this year)
6.)WR (One more yung' un)
7.)RB/FB (Pass replacement)
8.)TE (If we dont resign Graham)

We already have a replacement for Harrison in James Sanders.

Again, I think all the interest in a RB or a "power back," on the assumption that Maroney is not going to be it, is way premature... 26M is still a finite number, guys... now I will stipulate that draftees are cheap, definitely (as opposed to FAs,) but unless some incredible value falls to us - do we really want to go that way?

PFnV

1. ILB
2. CB
3. WR
4. FS
5. SS
6. TE
7. RB
8. OL
9. OLB
10. Any of the above...

With regard to our own free agents, I probably differ slightly from you.

I expect them to re-sign Davis, Evans, Gardner, Izzo, and Mickens.

If they bring back Davis, Izzo & Gartner to fortify our LBs I will get sick to my stomach. Our ILB and overall OLB depth is a mess, some play makers are needed not more ST scrubs.

IMHO these are the Pat's needs in descending order-

1) ILB - put simply, the 3-4 is ALL about the LB's. Count on Fletcher or Edwards plus a high rookie. If no decent FA can be signed I'd say an ILB will be the first pick for us and will start. We need two players here, not just one.

2) Safety - A 215lb. missile with a brain completely changes our D. ( See RH)

3) WR - Brady would benefit from more ultra elite talent outside. No knock at all on Chad Jackson but I'd not be surprised to see our first pick be a WR who really fly and has a superior attitude. Yes, I know WR's often have trouble in their first year, the point is then that we have scary threats outside sooner than if we wait any longer to draft one.

4) RB - this is very close to being number 3. Dillon is finished as any kind of feature back, plus he won't be happy about being forced to restructure. I think Maroney can be a star. But that's the problem, I only think it, I'm just not convinced yet. Faulk is productive still but he's too old now to count on. The bottom line is that the RB spot is Maroney plus older and/or fill-in/special team types, we need a real shot of youth. FA's could answer some of this need, see Marcel Shipp.

5) OLB - if the Pats don't pick up any talent soon then this will be number one next year. Woods will have the crash course the first two weeks of camp, if he can't stand up to the pressure we're mighty thin outside and BB will be looking at vets. Beyond the second tier FA OLB we will sign, I bet a few more JAG OLB's will be in camp this year for certain.

6) CB - Samuel gets franchised but we will need talent to fill his spot eventually. No later than third round we will pick a CB. Besides, if the front seven is killer then the CB's can be less than stellar and we'll still be very good.

7) QB - We need another form of life that has not begun to rot like Vinny T. Second to a linebacker, I'd say that us drafting a QB ( or signing another UDFA) is the surest bet you can make on BB list of picks.

8) OL - This is a wildcard because a first round plowhorse would not surprise me. Our OL is good, but far from great or dominant when it comes to run blocking.

9) TE - Dave Thomas is a start waiting to happen. If Graham doesn't stay, we'll soon forget he's gone as the Texas English Muffin Man catches everything in sight. Thomas has great feet, sticky hands and was voted captain by the players on a National Championship team just bursting with talent. He's bound to be a big time offensive leader, relieving some of the pressure Brady has carried on his own lately. I think Graham signs and stays, Watson is the one who will be gone soon. Mills was ultra productive in college, don't count him out yet...

My needs list in priority order is
#1 corner
#2 corner
#3 OLB
#4 WR
#5 ILB
#6 RB/FB
#7 OLB
#8 WR
#9 TE
==================================
We'll know a lot more in a month.

1) We'll see the tag list, including ours.
2) We'll see the combine, and combine analyses.
3) We'll see the free agent list, after the re-signs and the initial week of signings.

For example, I expect us to quickly re-sign Graham, Evans, Brown, Gardner, Seau, Mickens and Izzo. I would think that this would be a successful start. I expect Pass and Davis to retire. We could re-sign them first, or not. There is little cost.

I never expect the patriots to sign a major free agent. The last was Colvin. Of course, we could trade to meet one of our needs. Dillon and Caldwell certainly turned out well.

#1 Corner - Only if Asante Samuel departs via free agency
#2 Corner - Ellis Hobbs will better in 2007
#3 OLB - Patriots have more pressing needs at ILB
#4 WR - Have you given up on Chad Jackson?
#5 ILB - Patriots need to stock up on young ILBs via the 2007 NFL Draft
#6 RB/FB - Only if Corey Dillon retires
#7 OLB - I expect Vrabel and Colvin to start at OLB in 2007
#8 WR - Second day draft pick
#9 TE - Only if Daniel Graham departs via free agency

I hope the Patriots re-sign Troy Brown and Junior Seau. I do not expect Evans, Gardner, Mickens, or Izzo back on the team in 2007.

My list
CB (if AS is gone... if not, CB drops to 2 or 3)
ILB (we got no one other than an aging 54)
S
WR

Id like 2 of the first 2 on my list

IMHO these are the Pat's needs in descending order-

1) ILB - put simply, the 3-4 is ALL about the LB's. Count on Fletcher or Edwards plus a high rookie. If no decent FA can be signed I'd say an ILB will be the first pick for us and will start. We need two players here, not just one.

2) Safety - A 215lb. missile with a brain completely changes our D. ( See RH)

3) WR - Brady would benefit from more ultra elite talent outside. No knock at all on Chad Jackson but I'd not be surprised to see our first pick be a WR who really fly and has a superior attitude. Yes, I know WR's often have trouble in their first year, the point is then that we have scary threats outside sooner than if we wait any longer to draft one.

4) RB - this is very close to being number 3. Dillon is finished as any kind of feature back, plus he won't be happy about being forced to restructure. I think Maroney can be a star. But that's the problem, I only think it, I'm just not convinced yet. Faulk is productive still but he's too old now to count on. The bottom line is that the RB spot is Maroney plus older and/or fill-in/special team types, we need a real shot of youth. FA's could answer some of this need, see Marcel Shipp.

5) OLB - if the Pats don't pick up any talent soon then this will be number one next year. Woods will have the crash course the first two weeks of camp, if he can't stand up to the pressure we're mighty thin outside and BB will be looking at vets. Beyond the second tier FA OLB we will sign, I bet a few more JAG OLB's will be in camp this year for certain.

6) CB - Samuel gets franchised but we will need talent to fill his spot eventually. No later than third round we will pick a CB. Besides, if the front seven is killer then the CB's can be less than stellar and we'll still be very good.

7) QB - We need another form of life that has not begun to rot like Vinny T. Second to a linebacker, I'd say that us drafting a QB ( or signing another UDFA) is the surest bet you can make on BB list of picks.

8) OL - This is a wildcard because a first round plowhorse would not surprise me. Our OL is good, but far from great or dominant when it comes to run blocking.

9) TE - Dave Thomas is a start waiting to happen. If Graham doesn't stay, we'll soon forget he's gone as the Texas English Muffin Man catches everything in sight. Thomas has great feet, sticky hands and was voted captain by the players on a National Championship team just bursting with talent. He's bound to be a big time offensive leader, relieving some of the pressure Brady has carried on his own lately. I think Graham signs and stays, Watson is the one who will be gone soon. Mills was ultra productive in college, don't count him out yet...

I wish the Pats were more predictable sometimes, so I could say things like "dude you are so wrong," but hey, if the FO agrees, fine. I think the value approach may well yield players exactly as you request them; maybe not. Need obviously plays in as well, but an "offer you can't refuse" at some of these positions may push them right up the totem pole in Patsland.

Howsomever, I have to say I am okay with your rundown through number 1 and number 2 (though number 2, not so much... I would even concentrate at LB, and hold off a year at safety.) Here's where we start to diverge...

#3 - "ultra elite" receiver talent? Sorry, you just don't know that until 3 years after a draft. Maybe spending a first day pick at WR makes sense, but I would definitely not go first round, because I perceive a need right now. Your big stories at WR are so often late round finds, like NO's Colston or arizona's Boldin. I remember the latter holding down the fort while 2 first rounders were sitting around licking their wounds... in any event, I think the Chad experience tells us one thing: you can't just insist on instant fixes out of the draft at WR. Chad may come along, he may not... but let's not do a high-round WR 2 years running, to fix a perceived present need. Second comment... in terms of FA, I've come around to the idea that an "upper middle class" WR, if he comes at that pricetag, would be okay... I'm high on Bennett, but I don't know what his demands are likely to be.

#4 - no, no, no, no, no. First off, Faulk is a role player, first last and always. That means low mileage. He's also going to be 31 this year, not ancient. Faulk's not getting any younger... though he is getting more noisome in terms of cap space. I would say ask him to consider restructuring... but no, we do NOT need another candidate for featured back. Maroney is the man until proven otherwise. With luck, we get a repeat of this year's backfield, which actually produced quite well. (Now watch BB go and grab TJ Duckett from Washington as a power back/goal line vulture, and just to make me look like an ass.)

5, 6 - you're back on track.. I think these get addressed pretty much as you've written it.

7 - Maybe. What little we've seen of our "development project" here looks okay. I'd like to know more about Cassel, but then again, I wouldn't, because that would mean something happened to Brady. Maybe it is likely we'll throw in a QB choice, if history is our guide... and I think yes, another veteran backup would be a good idea, not the guy who has a social security check in addition to the game check.

8 - The more the merrier... agreed. I don't think BB is ever afraid to throw in more OL talent.

9 - NOT ANOTHER TIGHT END... but you know it's coming. Only question is whether it's one more or 2.

PFnV

I wish the Pats were more predictable sometimes, so I could say things like "dude you are so wrong," but hey, if the FO agrees, fine. I think the value approach may well yield players exactly as you request them; maybe not. Need obviously plays in as well, but an "offer you can't refuse" at some of these positions may push them right up the totem pole in Patsland.

Howsomever, I have to say I am okay with your rundown through number 1 and number 2 (though number 2, not so much... I would even concentrate at LB, and hold off a year at safety.) Here's where we start to diverge...

#3 - "ultra elite" receiver talent? Sorry, you just don't know that until 3 years after a draft. Maybe spending a first day pick at WR makes sense, but I would definitely not go first round, because I perceive a need right now. Your big stories at WR are so often late round finds, like NO's Colston or arizona's Boldin. I remember the latter holding down the fort while 2 first rounders were sitting around licking their wounds... in any event, I think the Chad experience tells us one thing: you can't just insist on instant fixes out of the draft at WR. Chad may come along, he may not... but let's not do a high-round WR 2 years running, to fix a perceived present need. Second comment... in terms of FA, I've come around to the idea that an "upper middle class" WR, if he comes at that pricetag, would be okay... I'm high on Bennett, but I don't know what his demands are likely to be.

#4 - no, no, no, no, no. First off, Faulk is a role player, first last and always. That means low mileage. He's also going to be 31 this year, not ancient. Faulk's not getting any younger... though he is getting more noisome in terms of cap space. I would say ask him to consider restructuring... but no, we do NOT need another candidate for featured back. Maroney is the man until proven otherwise. With luck, we get a repeat of this year's backfield, which actually produced quite well. (Now watch BB go and grab TJ Duckett from Washington as a power back/goal line vulture, and just to make me look like an ass.)

5, 6 - you're back on track.. I think these get addressed pretty much as you've written it.

7 - Maybe. What little we've seen of our "development project" here looks okay. I'd like to know more about Cassel, but then again, I wouldn't, because that would mean something happened to Brady. Maybe it is likely we'll throw in a QB choice, if history is our guide... and I think yes, another veteran backup would be a good idea, not the guy who has a social security check in addition to the game check.

8 - The more the merrier... agreed. I don't think BB is ever afraid to throw in more OL talent.

9 - NOT ANOTHER TIGHT END... but you know it's coming. Only question is whether it's one more or 2.

PFnV

i think boldin was a 2, not exactly late round

Stipulated pending review (on Boldin).

I agree to disagree with you here. Sanders is excellent back up off the bench and yet another example of our secret weapon...depth. But I would like to see something better as Rodneys actual replacement. Rodney quality.

Do we, really? Maybe...

This is a very interesting subject. I haven't yet done a snap-by-snap review of the disgraceful 2nd half of the AFCC, but Sanders certainly seemed to acquit himself well during the 1st half. I prefer my SSs in the 6'1", 220 lb. area code, however.

The future of the SS position depends on:
1) Rodney's health, and commitment towards rehabbing and returning. Also, how much explosiveness will he have lost, permanently, before the FA and Draft periods begin?
2) Mel Mitchell, and the organization's evaluation of his ability to play meaningful snaps on defense. And his recovery from season-ending surgery, of course.
3) James Sanders. Remember, the Eye in the Sky does not lie. What is the Eye, and those looking into the Eye, saying about young Mr. Sanders' future as a starting-calibre SS on a championship-driven defense?

If those 3 questions are answered in the affirmative, then the status will probably remain quo for next season. Perhaps a body or two for TC purposes, in the form of UDFAs or vet minimum FAs, will then be added to the mix.

If, on the other hand, any of those 3 questions are answered in the negative, then...your guess is as good as mine.

If they bring back Davis, Izzo & Gartner to fortify our LBs I will get sick to my stomach. Our ILB and overall OLB depth is a mess, some play makers are needed not more ST scrubs.

Hallelujah, and Amen.

Davis and Izzo cannot, under any circumstances whatsoever, be on the 53 next season.

Gardner, maybe, if Seau doesn't return.

Vrabel, at this stage, may best be suited inside. Let's face it: he's not as explosive as he used to be. Before a move to ILB is made permanent, however...The coaches must know first what they have in Pierre Woods.

I already know what they have in Alexander and Mays: nothing.

For the Bruins, the operative words should be: sell, sell, sell.
For the patsies, they should be: LBs, LBs, LBs.

I agree to disagree with you here. Sanders is excellent back up off the bench and yet another example of our secret weapon...depth. But I would like to see something better as Rodneys actual replacement. Rodney quality.
Harrison: 10 starts-10 games, 46 Total Tackles (1 on Special Teams), 1 sack, 3 QBH, 1 INT, 3 PD, 1 FF, and 1 FR.
Sanders: 5 starts-16 games, 45 Total Tackles (5 on Special Teams), 1 sack, 2 QBH, 1 INT, and 1 PD.

In 3 post-season games Sanders had 17 Total Tackles (1 on Special Teams), 1 sack, 1 QBH, and 1 PD.

By the numbers the lad didn't do that badly. Sanders may not be the hitter Rodney is, but then how many are? I'd say the kid's alright. :rocker:

Harrison: 10 starts-10 games, 46 Total Tackles (1 on Special Teams), 1 sack, 3 QBH, 1 INT, 3 PD, 1 FF, and 1 FR.
Sanders: 5 starts-16 games, 45 Total Tackles (5 on Special Teams), 1 sack, 2 QBH, 1 INT, and 1 PD.

In 3 post-season games Sanders had 17 Total Tackles (1 on Special Teams), 1 sack, 1 QBH, and 1 PD.

By the numbers the lad didn't do that badly. Sanders may not be the hitter Rodney is, but then how many are? I'd say the kid's alright. :rocker:

Interesting take, Box. How many plays did each play in? Also, do not forget that at least one of Rodney's starts was coming off of the second injury. Which is why we must balance such stats with reason. So, Sanders almost matched Rodney's stats playing in more plays(?) in a season that Rodney was coming back from a devastating injury, suffered another mid season and yet a third at the end.....Dont get me wrong, I like the kid. He is best off the bench by far and could start on most teams, but the way we were unstoppable earlier was to have that better talent in front of the Sanders of the world. We have emptied the bank on quality depth in the back 7 of the D. to the point that Sanders could be considered an acceptable replacement for Rodney. I say draft our SS this year, so we dont end up at that position like we are now at LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back