#4 WR
#5 ILB
#6 RB/FB
#7 OLB
#8 WR
#9 TE
==================================
We'll know a lot more in a month.

1) We'll see the tag list, including ours.
2) We'll see the combine, and combine analyses.
3) We'll see the free agent list, after the re-signs and the initial week of signings.

For example, I expect us to quickly re-sign Graham, Evans, Brown, Gardner, Seau, Mickens and Izzo. I would think that this would be a successful start. I expect Pass and Davis to retire. We could re-sign them first, or not. There is little cost.

I never expect the patriots to sign a major free agent. The last was Colvin. Of course, we could trade to meet one of our needs. Dillon and Caldwell certainly turned out well.

My needs list in priority order is
#1 corner
#2 corner
#3 OLB
#4 WR
#5 ILB
#6 RB/FB
#7 OLB
#8 WR
#9 TE

3) We'll see the free agent list, after the re-signs and the initial week of signings.

For example, I expect us to quickly re-sign Graham, Evans, Brown, Gardner, Seau, Mickens and Izzo. I would think that this would be a successful start. I expect Pass and Davis to retire. We could re-sign them first, or not. There is little cost.

I never expect the patriots to sign a major free agent. The last was Colvin. Of course, we could trade to meet one of our needs. Dillon and Caldwell certainly turned out well.

Looks OK if some of those corners can play safety.

Of course you've got to draft where they drop, but that's quite possible where the value lies.

If we can get a real pass rusher/olb convert, I'd go a #1, though.

Assuming that both Graham and Samuels return, the team's #1 priority in the offseason has to be inside linebacker. The team needs to find a way to get 2 ILBs who can play this season, so they can move Vrabel back outside. They also need to start looking for another true left tackle. After that, I'd look safety. If Samuels doesn't return, I'd look corner before safety.

Assuming that both Graham and Samuels return, the team's #1 priority in the offseason has to be inside linebacker. The team needs to find a way to get 2 ILBs who can play this season, so they can move Vrabel back outside. They also need to start looking for another true left tackle. After that, I'd look safety. If Samuels doesn't return, I'd look corner before safety.

I want Adalius Thomas and a stud ILB in the draft.
CB and Safety can be adressed later in the draft.
If a Wide Receiver is available through FA then pick one up as well

#1 corner
#2 corner
#3 OLB
#4 WR
#5 ILB
#6 RB/FB
#7 OLB
#8 WR
#9 TE

#1 corner - Only if Samuel leaves.
#2 corner - Absolutely not, Hobbs is fine.
#3 OLB - ILB is a much bigger need.
#4 WR - Agreed, we need another upside guy to go with Jackson.
#5 ILB - Should be much higher.
#6 RB/FB - Only if Dillon leaves.
#7 OLB - This is the right place for OLB.
#8 WR - If Troy's back, the filling #4 ends this.
#9 TE - Should be higher unless you're assuming Graham is back.

I don't understand your LB thing at all. We need a #3 guy to replace TBC but that's it. Maybe you're assuming Vrabel will move inside but I doubt that for next year.

On the CB/TE thing you seem to be assuming that Samuel leaves but Graham stays, that's the only way I can come to grips with these. I'm not nearly as optimistic about Graham as you are. I also have a feeling Dillon will come back.

This is my list. I'm assuming Samuel/Graham/TBC all leave.

- CB.
- ILB (this could be fixed easily, short term, if Seau returns)
- S (we have lots of names, not many good players).
- S
- OLB (#3 rotation guy)
- TE
- ILB
- CB
- OLB (need a young guy to compete with Woods for future PT)
- WR
- QB (I expect Cassel to be traded in a year, draft a rookie to have a year in by then)

- CB.
- S
- OLB (#3 rotation guy)
- TE
- ILB
- CB
- WR
- QB (I expect Cassel to be traded in a year, draft a rookie to have a year in by then)

Even if Graham walks, I can't see a TE on the priority list. Between the two second year TEs, one of them will surely step up to be a good enough backup to Watson.

I dont see Cassell being traded. He hasn't thrown a meaningful pass since high school and although he has fantastic mechanics, no one has any idea, not even his college coach for four years, how that translates into gametime effectiveness. (maroney is one missed blitz pickup away from us finding out how good he can be.)

Even if Graham walks, I can't see a TE on the priority list. Between the two second year TEs, one of them will surely step up to be a good enough backup to Watson.
Two TE offense, we need three good ones. Mills doesn't come close to being the #3 guy yet.

I dont see Cassell being traded.
I think he will be in 12 months, not now. If we really have 5 preseason games in 2007 he'll get a little more (practice) game time.

- CB.
- S
- OLB (#3 rotation guy)
- TE
- ILB
- CB
- WR

Two TE offense, we need three good ones. Mills doesn't come close to being the #3 guy yet.

I think he will be in 12 months, not now. If we really have 5 preseason games in 2007 he'll get a little more (practice) game time.

Ok - fair points - Mills is basically a rook this year so his production is going to be limited. I agree. But I am optimistic that in the BB offense of 10 yard routes, we dont need him to be the next Gates to be a good addition. Plus as a #2 TE, he would probably have more blockng assignments than receiving opps.

At some point, the Pats need to retain a good 2nd starting QB - Brady has never missed a game in his career (only injury with missed time was AFC Championship game against Pitt 1st time around) and if he ever needs 4,5,6 weeks to recover from a future injury, it would be nice to have someone who could win half of those games.....so we don't lose seed position and face Manning in a dome. Point: keep Cassell - its an insurance policy worth having to save a season.

#1 corner
#2 corner

You are exctly right with that being top priority. However, it may only be ONE corner, not two, if Samuel re signs.

Eugene Wilson can return to the corner position, a positin he played in college, and the original position he was drafted to play.

If that happens, then they can go after a free agent corner, such as Lucas, and/or go with one of their first round picks for a corner.

Then, with Samuel , Wilson, and another unknown corner, draft or FA, they are in preety good shape,both at cornerback, safety, and also inthe nickel and dime packages, with Hobbs as one of them, and perhaps Mickens, Scott, Tebucky Jones, Gay, etc.....

But, as you say, cornerback has to be a priority in the off season.

I'm amazed at people who seem perfectly content to go into next year with Bruschi (34) and Seau (38) inside. It's time to re-tool the position. Even if both those guys stay as starters, which I hope they do not, especially Seau, we need to add depth/heir apparents.

Last edited:
#1 corner
#2 corner
#3 OLB
#4 WR
#5 ILB
#6 RB/FB
#7 OLB
#8 WR
#9 TE

the only position that performed well on teh defensive side of the ball vs indy was corner
that being said, if samuel leaves we need someone there

bb won't count on Watson, Thomas and Mills. If Graham walks we will likely have a free agent and/or a Day One draft pick. My guess is that we sign Graham or swap TE's with Seatle.

I dont see Cassell being traded. He hasn't thrown a meaningful pass since high school and although he has fantastic mechanics, no one has any idea, not even his college coach for four years, how that translates into gametime effectiveness. (maroney is one missed blitz pickup away from us finding out how good he can be.)

I'm amazed at people who seem perfectly content to go into next year with Bruschi (34) and Seau (38) inside. It's time to re-tool the position. Even if both those guys stay as starters, which I hope they do not, especially Seau, we need to add depth/heir apparents.

I'm in agreement with you. Also, while I think Vrabel is better outside I don't think it's a major improvement.

As I see it we need a safety and ILB first and foremost.
I love RH but we need an up and coming play maker. Rodney is close to his end
and our other safeties are journeymen at best. Yes adequate but not
sure play makers, Leaders, QBs of the back field!!
As has been stated many times Vrabel is best outside and TB is at the end
of a great run at ILB. To be sure it took Teddy 5 years(minimum) to hit his
stride at ILB.
ILB is a must(FA) and saftey is the key of the D(draft), think about it.?

If AS goes then yes CB is a concern, but as of this moment in time SS and
ILB are a must. -jmo-

If you look at our stats, record for allowing the least amount of points in franchise history.. you could say that this is not a priority. However, we need to find some red shirt guys to fill in the some of the spots where there will be need in either this year or next year(Bruschi and Seau are pretty close to the end). I do not see Samuel here next year, instead see us signing a couple of other mid tier CB's who will cost less than the franchise $$. The only way Samuel will be given this status is a sign and trade deal. TBC, is ok on the outside, but he is a situational player so I would not pay him what he will demand.

My priorities are:
ILB
CB
Safety
CB
ILB
OL

The top three can be interchanged as they should go for the BPA at each position.

Samuel is fine, if here...Hobbs is fine... then there is the injury crew (if Geno can't play safety, why not?... and is Randall Gay worth waiting on?...) and only then the likes of Antwain Spann. I guess we really don't want to go to war with Chad Scott and Ray Mickens. But how many blind shots can we take at the CB position? Any upgrade here means putting a body or two on the scrap heap. We already have a bus full of corners waiting for their shot, and pretty sure that they'll get it, with the Pats' injury history at this position. At this point, maybe we should pay people not to play, and to stay at home waiting for a call.

Adding a guy who is really good at a position is hard. If you're thinking draft, it is even harder. Adding JAGs is easy. And sometimes you think you're adding someone really good, and you're adding a JAG.

When you're already loaded with warm bodies, you need to have an idea on how to upgrade. LB is easier that way... even if you end up with some rotations, you don't need to make it all or nothing (say, a Bruschi/Edwards rotation.) But CB is the highest paid position on the D... so, you can shell out huge bucks to fix the CB position (IF Samuel is gone,) or you can take a chance that you're just patching up with a JAG.

Especially if we get AS back, I think we add a prospect or two in the draft, throw out some low performers at camp, and otherwise stand pat at this position.

PFnV

1A: ILB
1B: Corner
2. ILB
3. Safety
4. WR

#1 corner
#2 corner
#3 OLB
#4 WR
#5 ILB
#6 RB/FB
#7 OLB
#8 WR
#9 TE
Mine look like:
1.)FS (Geno cant stay healthy. Hawkins, Sanders are excellent depth. Period)
2.)ILB (Any doubts here?)
3.)CB (I wont quantify #1 or #2 until we know what happens with Asante.)
4.)SS (Rodney is near the end. Get his replacement now.)
5.)OLB (We have 1 with Woods. Next one this year)
6.)WR (One more yung' un)
7.)RB/FB (Pass replacement)
8.)TE (If we dont resign Graham)

I dont believe we will have trouble re-signing Cassel next year.

I do believe we will sign Graham.

CB depends on Asante. Hobbs may be fine, but Gay has been solid glass since he got here. Too bad. Had such potential, too. There may be a chance for upgrade around rd. 2 at that pos.

We need to upgrade at the RB/FB position where Evans is concerned. Again, there may be one avail in rd. 3.

ILB....well, where do I start? Bring in a young DE for conversion? Bring in a young DE and convert Woods? Not impressed with Alexanders play in the AFCCG. We need help now and more help later.

So if you look at my list, I guess the main emphasis is stiffening up the middle of the d behind big Vince.

My take in order of importance:

-Tag Asante for a year
-Sign vet ILB like Adalius, Edwards, Fletcher-Baker, etc...
-Sign Graham for under $3 mil per or let him walk if he demands more
-Sign Tully for under $1.5 mil per (yes he proved to be a liability on run D against SD, but let's not forget the game against Minn just yet)
-draft an ILB on day one
-draft McCauley, Reives or Josh Wilson and school him for a year
-draft a safety on day one
-draft McKnight, Craig Davis or Breaston
-Re-sign or tender Chad Scott AND Gay
-draft #3 TE end on day two if Graham jets
-draft DE projects to convert to OLB if TBC jets
-draft power back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back